logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

9 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
admin  
#61 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2019 12:17:17 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
ask,

Can you provide information about the hardware/software used on both sides and quality settings configured in vMix etc.
(also are you using Caller, Listener or Rendezvous on either side and so on)

As some may know, we ran some tests from Australia to Amsterdam with SRT for days on end for IBC, so 5 mins seems quite strange.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
ovinas  
#62 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2019 4:19:27 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ovinas Go to Quoted Post
Any chance to get the new standalone version (23.0.0.1? with NDI 4) of desktop capture to test it with NDI 4 on both ends? Or does this makes no difference or sense?

Nevermind, just ignore it. SRT is the new hot shit so who needs NDI... ;-)
admin  
#63 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2019 4:53:50 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Originally Posted by: ovinas Go to Quoted Post
Any chance to get the new standalone version (23.0.0.1? with NDI 4) of desktop capture to test it with NDI 4 on both ends? Or does this makes no difference or sense?

We will release a final version of the new desktop capture on the web site once out of beta, but for now you can just manually
copy the vMixDesktopCapture.exe file along with the NDI subfolder over the top of the 22 standalone files to upgrade it.

thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
ovinas on 10/25/2019(UTC)
MartLeib  
#64 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2019 5:36:16 PM(UTC)
MartLeib

Estonia

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 42 post(s)
SRT BUG: Maximum allowed Latency is currently 1999, should be unlimited.

BUG: Sometimes, playing this video file: https://we.tl/t-cypAVV16st results in vMix dropping frames (Renderer Droped). About 1-2 frames per second. When I enable SRT Hardware Encoding H.264 @6Mbps, after some time it will drop about 5 frames per second. CPU/GPU usage seems alright. It happens sometimes.
Windows 10 LTSC, i7-6700HQ, 48GB RAM, GTX980M, 1080p60 preset

UI BUG: When opening SRT Enable/Disable dropdown from the External cogwheel right after wMix opening, it takes second or two for the dropdown triangle to appear and then the dropdown opens. May be related to starting the SRT stream at the same time?
mashynewie2  
#65 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2019 11:44:08 PM(UTC)
mashynewie2

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 33 post(s)
I tried outputting SRT for the first time. I couldn't find any screen that showed the success/failure of the individual streams.

When clicking on the "i" button next to the "external" button it should show the connection status/speed/etc of each SRT stream.

I'm so excited to use this!!

EDIT: I just found it by pressing the colored statistics button on the right hand side!!
NHT  
#66 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 6:30:26 AM(UTC)
NHT

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Just installed the latest version on my old Dell laptop. This would run 22 fine if you didn't push it, but 23 shows GPU OVERLOAD before I even added any sources!

Dell Latitude
Windows 7
i5
16gb Ram
SSD
Intel HD Gfx

It'll play a single video reasonably well in Output but the source window runs at about 10FPS.
sam602  
#67 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 7:50:26 AM(UTC)
sam602

Trinidad And Tobago

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Re:Passphase
I did some investigating re the passphase as it relates to Wowza.
I contacted support and this is the response..
The reason why I was asking you about your setup is because I used another SRT source, a mobile application (on android) called Larix Broadcaster that uses SRT 1.4.0 library.
I set up a 16 char long passkey on the app and in the Stream File on Wowza Engine: 1234567890123456
Testing the stream from the phone to Wowza Engine was successful.
So based on this, I do not believe this is an SRT version issue.

Do you know what SRT library version vMix is using?
Regards,
Alex Chepurnoy
Wowza Support Engineer

Can someone comment on this information,as Wowza support is suggesting that its a bug on the vMix side
Speegs  
#68 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 8:08:27 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Thanks for SRT, so far seems good.

Things I've tested:

Vmix to Vmix SRT very good.

Vmix to Nimble Streaming Server SRT very good. Drops right in as a replacement for RTMP (FFMPEG2) ingest to the server. The latency is higher, by 50-70ms but RTMP has no error/packet loss recovery so that is the trade off.

Vmix --> OpenVPN --> Vmix SRT no problems (didn't want to open a port at the office), worked just as well. Made me think maybe I could control a PTZ with the video coming in via SRT and run productions remotely. Something for another day.

Vmix --> OpenVPN --> VLC Player with srt:// url works, but no matter the settings I've adjusted so far, I can't eliminate around 1 second latency in VLC.

Mostly on the latency setting the rule of thumb I've read is 4 x the ping time is a good place to start and try to not go under 100ms, most of my testing has been 100ms.

I have not tested passwords at all yet, maybe soon.

Anyone know of an SRT player program like VLC (NDI Studio monitor for SRT style)? Let me know, I'm after something that doesn't add extra latency. Vmix can be used as a player, but seems a big program to just play SRT from a PC on a network. I might be missing something on VLC, but I spent about an hour trying various settings on VLC for cache, network buffers etc.. I just couldn't bypass the extra 1 second delay using VLC for SRT playback.

The stats in Vmix said it was 20ms RTT SRT to VLC. But VLC must be adding extra buffering as it was over 1 second, where vmix to vmix in the same setup was about 0.3 seconds, over a 20ms RTT.

SRT worked well on a residential NBN100 connection here in Australia going to my office on a Gigabit Fiber. I plan to do more testing on 4G later. That should be a bit more challenging for SRT, but that is exactly what SRT is designed to handle.

I did not encounter problems going for over 5 minutes. I did quite a few 3 hour + test and the latency and quality remained good except for VLC it paused sometimes. Which makes me think VLC is not a good SRT player (yet).

Martin said SRT is like NDI for the Internet, so far seems like NDI HX for the Internet. I'm not an NDI HX hater, it's good if you are not worried about a bit of quality loss. I understand the big budget broadcasters can't handle that. I'm not one of those, so I accept some loss and like JPEG, not Camera RAW shocker!
thanks 2 users thanked Speegs for this useful post.
TV97 on 10/26/2019(UTC), basvcds on 12/13/2019(UTC)
Speegs  
#69 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 8:34:58 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Things I noticed with SRT.

The stats panel doesn't update that often. Sometimes it shows disconnected and it's still streaming.

I noticed that it was saying disconnected on external 2, when I had SRT saying connected on external 1. Both were working.

SRT doesn't seem to be immediately enable/disable it seems to take in my testing up to 20 seconds to establish a few things before data is really flowing. That can be a bit confusing. I'm sure they will get better as time goes on or Vmix will have a progress bar on SRT or something like that. Maybe RED, ORANGE, GREEN like on the stream button.
thanks 1 user thanked Speegs for this useful post.
doa on 10/28/2019(UTC)
ask  
#70 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 9:46:35 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Speegs Go to Quoted Post
Things I noticed with SRT.

SRT doesn't seem to be immediately enable/disable it seems to take in my testing up to 20 seconds to establish a few things before data is really flowing. That can be a bit confusing.

Speegs, Have a look further up the thread. Martin explains this. The behaviour is the same in other implementations of SRT I am testing.

Cheers

Andrew

ask  
#71 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 10:01:13 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
ask,

Can you provide information about the hardware/software used on both sides and quality settings configured in vMix etc.
(also are you using Caller, Listener or Rendezvous on either side and so on)

As some may know, we ran some tests from Australia to Amsterdam with SRT for days on end for IBC, so 5 mins seems quite strange.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

TX is an i5 NUC, running vMix 4k @1080i50. I have tested in both Caller and Rendezvous modes. All settings are default. So quality is H264 2mbps AAC 128kbps

RX is an i7 MSI73VR with GTX1060 running vMix Pro @1080i50. Input set to Rendezvous. All other setting default.

Am doing a similar test using BD Cloud which is sending a lot more data and have had no freezes in the signal (again point to point on LAN)

It doesn't seem to matter what mode I set SRT in or which combination, I can repeat the same freeze. The connection is still there and as I reported the audio still plays, and as soon as I stop and start the TX the video plays almost instantaneously.

Cheers

Andrew.
admin  
#72 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 6:07:56 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

andrew,

Can you try disabling the Use Hardware Encoder on the TX? I have seen some issues with the Intel encoder on low end systems (like NUCs).
Usually a driver update resolves them however.

mashynewie2  
#73 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 6:11:32 PM(UTC)
mashynewie2

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Please put SRT topic on forum!
admin  
#74 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 6:16:51 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

sam602,

We are currently using the standard SRT 1.3.4 library.
One thing I will note is we do set the key size to the highest (256bit/32bytes) while the example Wowza mentioned is only 16 bytes
so maybe there is an issue with the SRT version Wowza uses in accepting 32 byte encryption.

EDIT: Larix broadcaster is using an older version of SRT than 1.4, looks like 1.3 or lower as it was last updated in June 2019,
so that might be why it is working.
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
Jav on 5/27/2021(UTC)
MartLeib  
#75 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 6:33:32 PM(UTC)
MartLeib

Estonia

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Could you add advanced options to the SRT dialog? I would like to have control over maxbw, oheadbw and other settings that usually can be defined in the URL.

How is currently maxbw set relative to inputbw?

Also, logging would be awesome, currently did not find SRT related ffmpeg logs in the ProgramData vMix folder.
Shilon  
#76 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 7:24:59 PM(UTC)
Shilon

Israel

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does srt supports interlaced video?
is it vMix limitation?
admin  
#77 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 8:12:06 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

vMix will only be supporting progressive video with SRT.
One of the reasons is hardware encoder support for HEVC and H264 with interlaced is very limited and is likely to remain that way, as
productions slowly migrate to progressive in order to support 4K.
admin  
#78 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 8:13:57 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Originally Posted by: MartLeib Go to Quoted Post
Could you add advanced options to the SRT dialog? I would like to have control over maxbw, oheadbw and other settings that usually can be defined in the URL.

How is currently maxbw set relative to inputbw?

Also, logging would be awesome, currently did not find SRT related ffmpeg logs in the ProgramData vMix folder.

SRT in vMix is designed to (hopefully) be as simple as possible to setup and configure.
For that reason these settings will not be available as changing them from the defaults tend to cause more harm than good for the vast majority of use cases.

Also to answer your question, maxbw etc are all handled automatically by the SRT library and it tends to work quite well.
admin  
#79 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 8:24:34 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Due to the amount of discussion about SRT so far, and the chance that some questions are slipping through the cracks, we have setup a new dedicated SRT discussion forum here:
https://forums.vmix.com/topics/13-SRT

Please post any SRT related questions there from now on.

Thanks,

Martin
vMix
Henny  
#80 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2019 8:55:23 PM(UTC)
Henny

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Linking the new Mix input.

But.... i do a lot of IMAG work with vmix and it would make the feature even better would the ability to have the main program mix as an input, this way a mix input can be used for doing a second mix with the option to mirror the main mix when needed

cheers

Ian