logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Peter Berglund  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2019 10:09:52 PM(UTC)
Peter Berglund

Groups: Registered
Man
Sweden

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi,

This might be an awkward request, but let me explain. I would like to integrate a simple teleprompter functionality inside vMix by using the Title Ticker.

By defining a large ticker title area covering the whole screen and then pasting content from any text editor, you will have your speaker text in a ticker ready for a teleprompter. Next is to configure vMix so that the title input is routed to an external output to which the actual teleprompter monitor is connected.

Then it's an easy task to assign shortcuts from a keyboard or MIDI device to control the Ticker Speed during your recording. It really works fine :)

There are however moments where you actually need to roll back the text if you scrolled too far... There are now (v22.0.0.49) no shortcut for changing the ticker direction and you can only provide values to the SetTickerSpeed shortcut between 0-1000. The simplest solution would be to just allow negative values to the shortcut, say from -1000 to +1000. Then it would be possible to actually scroll up and down at different speeds.

On the same theme, I would really like to have new shortcuts as well which increments and decrements the current ticker speed value by 1. Like "IncreaseTickerSpeed" and "DecreaseTickerSpeed".

Thx!
:)
/Peter
Barney Box Lane  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2019 11:24:07 PM(UTC)
Barney Box Lane

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
just an idea for the teleprompter, how about using a portrait picture of the text you want to scroll through and use the new virtual ptz capabilities with an Xbox controller to scroll down and up.

Perhaps you can set it to slowly scroll down (zoomed in on the top merging to a virtual input that's zoomed into the bottom with a 20sec merge or something) I don't know if the virtual ptz can override and let you hold and scroll back or if you have to wait for the merge to finish

- if you want to keep the text live and editable and not burnt into a picture you could screen capture a long text document from a desktop or tablet?
Peter Berglund  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2019 6:44:39 AM(UTC)
Peter Berglund

Man
Sweden

Originally Posted by: Barney Box Lane Go to Quoted Post
just an idea for the teleprompter, how about using a portrait picture of the text you want to scroll through and use the new virtual ptz capabilities with an Xbox controller to scroll down and up.

Perhaps you can set it to slowly scroll down (zoomed in on the top merging to a virtual input that's zoomed into the bottom with a 20sec merge or something) I don't know if the virtual ptz can override and let you hold and scroll back or if you have to wait for the merge to finish

- if you want to keep the text live and editable and not burnt into a picture you could screen capture a long text document from a desktop or tablet?

Can do the job if you have a short script... But texts I usually deal with is quite long. In addition it would be great to make a data source connection to the ticker.

I still think my ticker suggestion is a good solution as it integrates everything into vMix. I have experience from working with teleprompters from PrompterPeople for more than 10 years and even if these work great, you need software to get the smooth scrolling, control the speed etc. Having the ability to do everything within vMix would be great and with MIDI devices it's easy to control the speed. You can for example use MIDI-pedals to start and stop the scrolling.

But once more, the thing missing is to be able to scroll back. And an easy way to increase and decrease the speed. That's the reason for my feature request.

:)
/Peter
mavik  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:18:14 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Cool idea. I love it.
+1
JamesMcKenna  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2022 3:19:00 AM(UTC)
JamesMcKenna

Ireland

Did vMix release anything that can do this?
It would be great to have a simple teleprompter inside vMix that can have a variable (and reverse) speeds.
Peter Berglund  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2024 10:35:13 PM(UTC)
Peter Berglund

Man
Sweden

Originally Posted by: JamesMcKenna Go to Quoted Post
It would be great to have a simple teleprompter inside vMix that can have a variable (and reverse) speeds.

No, not so far anyway (27.0.0.66). I created this post 5 years ago and I'm still using vMix as a teleprompter as described. It works really well for our productions, but it's a pain that you can't scroll backwards. I have created shortcuts for different ticker speeds as well as stop (speed=0). Then another shortcut to restart from the beginning. But to be able with shortcuts to enter a negative ticker speed or set the direction of the ticker as you define in GT Title Designer, would be a game changer for the talent and us in the studio.

Thx!
/Peter
doggy  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2024 11:16:16 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Peter Berglund Go to Quoted Post

No, not so far anyway (27.0.0.66). I created this post 5 years ago and I'm still using vMix as a teleprompter as described. It works really well for our productions, but it's a pain that you can't scroll backwards. I have created shortcuts for different ticker speeds as well as stop (speed=0). Then another shortcut to restart from the beginning. But to be able with shortcuts to enter a negative ticker speed or set the direction of the ticker as you define in GT Title Designer, would be a game changer for the talent and us in the studio.

Thx!
/Peter

Just wondering how many teleprompter applcations (installed or online, cheap or free) can actually do a reverse ? had a quick search and seems so far havent seen any (or havent found the right one)
Peter Berglund  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2024 12:33:00 AM(UTC)
Peter Berglund

Man
Sweden

Originally Posted by: doggy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Peter Berglund Go to Quoted Post

Thx!
/Peter

Just wondering how many teleprompter applcations (installed or online, cheap or free) can actually do a reverse ? had a quick search and seems so far havent seen any (or havent found the right one)

Well, PrompterPeople (www.prompterpeople.com) is a professional vendor I used a lot a couple of years ago and their software made it possible to scroll either way in any speed...

Thx!
/Peter