logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DanMiall  
#21 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2017 6:24:11 AM(UTC)
DanMiall

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 7 post(s)
ask wrote:
fthomas137 wrote:
DanMiall wrote:

Hi there! I can’t speak for the others as they use a fundamentally different approach to compressing video (NDI HX), but BirdDog uses ‘full bitrate, i-frame NDI’ and this is done in our box via our proprietary FPGA hardware (ie. not a computer running a program, rather a dedicated NDI chip. This makes for ultra low latency and high quality with the lowest possibly power).

That's excellent Dan but $800 per unit is just too rich for folks like myself. I need three, and in Canadian dollars, it like $3,000.

Frank

The Price of the NDI studio is really competitive if you look at all the features it provides and it is rock solid! I can understand that you are on a budget, but try getting Sony or Panasonic to reduce the price of their cameras simply because you don't have the $$$. If quality is important to you I can recommended the Birddog unit.

Of course I understand everyone has a budget and what is valuable is different for each and every circumstance. We actually consider our solution to be incredibly low cost considering the level of technology inside it (Camera mountable SDI/HDMI to NDI, production-ready Tally, PoE, 8 Channels Audio, cross conversion, not to mention all the recently announced ‘bonus’ features). It is no small task to create a hardware only Video encoder. There are some savings that can be made with software but of course you still need at minimum a moderately powered computer and an I/O card to make Video to NDI and someone to administer it. One of the announcements we made at IBC this week is in an upcoming firmware release we will support simultaneous HDMI and SDI to NDI. We decided not to delay releasing BirdDog for this feature as it was not an originally announced function but it may help people on limited budgets justify a hardware based solution in the future.

Our position really is that we want everyone to get onto NDI, if we don’t have the right tool for you this time perhaps we will for your next project!
thanks 3 users thanked DanMiall for this useful post.
stigaard on 9/21/2017(UTC), ON.tv Channels on 9/21/2017(UTC), RobLambert on 11/2/2017(UTC)
mavik  
#22 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 6:56:57 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Spark and BirdDog are nice but if the $$$ is a constrain you might want to look at this capture card.
http://www.sintrones.com/video-capture-card.html
in combination with a computing device you might get a bit cheaper than a spark.
I used the VDB310 in the past with my laptop. A 4 CH SD capture solition at almost no cost. But SD only.
leongeyer  
#23 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2019 3:36:47 AM(UTC)
leongeyer

Peru

I think there is some kind of confusion. NDI does not need a capture card to get into a computer. It is a Wireless Video Protocol which uses Wifi, this means, it can be captured by the software on the computer if connected to the same Wifi. Several programs can decode the NDI protocol, I use MimoLive. An external device which decodes and then sends to the computer makes sense only if workload-reduction is asked. So, the original question is, I guess, about a computer (or other kind of receiver) which can replicate the input signal, maybe to an monitor? Because RASP is a computer, not an interface. In other words, I guess the question is not how to integrate it into a computer, but to reproduce the signal. Or NDI is wrong understood (if I understand it correctly).
Radiotvpat1982  
#24 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 8:38:08 AM(UTC)
Radiotvpat1982

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
The cheapest way to get a single HDMI to NDI is to use something like a elgato cam link that you can get under $100.00 on certain days.

Getting NDI to HDMI for cheap is still somewhat limited. Those new tiny computers are going to make it more possible very soon. As for now you can download Newtek studio monitor for free, put that in full screen, hook up an HDMI cable and duplicate that screen from a PC. That's not the best solution but its free!
bar807  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2020 3:40:07 PM(UTC)
bar807

https://www.amazon.co.uk...id=1596519436&sr=8-3

Will Linux OBS run on and encode NDI on this box?
thatMattRogers  
#26 Posted : Thursday, December 2, 2021 9:31:36 AM(UTC)
thatMattRogers

United Kingdom

Since this thread crops up still, here's the software that you'd need to run on a raspberry pi to transmit NDI
https://dicaffeine.com/about
you still need some way to capture your HDMI signal to the Pi but once its there NDI is relatively trivial.
xaver  
#27 Posted : Thursday, December 2, 2021 6:26:09 PM(UTC)
xaver

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thatMattRogers Go to Quoted Post
Since this thread crops up still, here's the software that you'd need to run on a raspberry pi to transmit NDI
you still need some way to capture your HDMI signal to the Pi but once its there NDI is relatively trivial.

It's working very well on 720p with a Pi4 8GB but not with 1080p

mjgraves  
#28 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2021 3:50:02 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: xaver Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: thatMattRogers Go to Quoted Post

It's working very well on 720p with a Pi4 8GB but not with 1080p

Last year I did some fairly detailed experiments with Dicaffeine.

https://www.mgraves.org/...o-display-an-ndi-stream/

As you note, handles 720p30 well enough. Does not handle 1080p30.