logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EliYahu  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2017 4:47:47 PM(UTC)
EliYahu

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
For what it's worth I have 3 active 1080p HDMI inputs (Magewell XI400 PCI card) and use Vmix to output 3 different video streams: 4.5mpbs 1080p, 768mpbs 720p and 350mbps 480p.

I tried to run this setup using an I7-3770 chip and it maxed out the CPU to 100%. I upgraded to an X99 board (Asus) and I7-5820k. I saw the CPU drop to 25% usage. I had to be careful which slot I put the Magewell XI400DE PCI card, but the current config is working well.

thanks 1 user thanked EliYahu for this useful post.
PFBM on 5/3/2017(UTC)
BloodyIron  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:15:25 PM(UTC)
BloodyIron

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Perhaps you mean kbps for some of those fighures? ;)

Thanks for the info! Why did you need to be careful about which slot to use?

EliYahu wrote:
For what it's worth I have 3 active 1080p HDMI inputs (Magewell XI400 PCI card) and use Vmix to output 3 different video streams: 4.5mpbs 1080p, 768mpbs 720p and 350mbps 480p.

I tried to run this setup using an I7-3770 chip and it maxed out the CPU to 100%. I upgraded to an X99 board (Asus) and I7-5820k. I saw the CPU drop to 25% usage. I had to be careful which slot I put the Magewell XI400DE PCI card, but the current config is working well.

EliYahu  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:05:21 PM(UTC)
EliYahu

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Yep, My mistake. Kbps for the medium and lower quality.

On the Asus x99 board, certain PCI slots share bandwidth. The manual told me which ones, so I made sure the slot containing the Magewell card didn't share bandwidth with any others.

I should mention that I also run Skype sessions, two instances of Adobe FMLE for audio streams, and Vmix records the output of it all in MP4, 15MPBS 1080p quality.

My video card is an Nvidia 970 GTX.
thanks 2 users thanked EliYahu for this useful post.
BloodyIron on 5/3/2017(UTC), mjgraves on 5/4/2017(UTC)
madness  
#24 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2017 9:57:44 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
BloodyIron wrote:
Thanks! What was your CPU usage during that particularly demanding example?

madness wrote:
FTR, I am running an ASUS P6T deluxe v2 motherboard (2008) that I originally built with an i7-920 quad core, now running with a Xeon x5680 hex core released in 2010 that I got off ebay for $150 used in 2015. The system currently has 18GB memory, and is running nVidia GTX 980 graphics, and includes a 4 port dedicated USB3 card for communicating with 4 1080p web cameras.

The Xeon processor basically doubled the performance of the original i7-920 in benchmarks, and honestly, I couldn't be happier about the new live it's given my old motherboard. I had considered spending a couple k in updating, but after weighing the difference in performance, I can't justify it.

On April 12, I ran this system at an event and had 4 web cams, a USB3 video capture card, an Amcrest IP2M-841b PTZ cam, and a total of 66 inputs configured, I only noticed a couple dropped frames.

I'm still quite happy with the performance of this system.

Less than 50% most of the time. Really depends on what was going to the output.
thanks 1 user thanked madness for this useful post.
BloodyIron on 5/4/2017(UTC)
hellokitty  
#25 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 6:16:35 PM(UTC)
hellokitty

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I have been runnin a Asus Rampage V Extreme/u.31 for over a year,"https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREMEU31/ " i have a kona 4, MEGARAID SAS 9361-8I, 10gbe and now a gigabyte alpine ridge card "should not work?" over the thunder bolt i have Universal audio Apollo twin Quad and Sonnet echo express 3-d with a kona 3G and a Kona LHI in it, and a Sonnet echo 15+ and a whole a bunch more usb devices. I dont have any problems. My audio is setup as 32bit 48khz im also using virtual cables and midi devices. You just got to know how to set your system up, Turn all the stuff off you dont use in the bios, set your pcie devices correctly in the bios "not automatic" you run into problems? Just re install windows, solves most problems. I also am running a Nvidia Titan X maxwell with 4 monitors 2 are 4k 60hz 1 is 2560x1440 165 hz and the last is 1080 p 144hz. So you can go pretty extreme with this board, and also check out this board. https://www.asus.com/us/...herboards/X99E_WSUSB_31/ that one is good also, I went with the ROG board cause some of its features and better support "they have their own forums" https://rog.asus.com/forum/?langid=1 Well GoodLuck!
element  
#26 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 9:57:42 PM(UTC)
element

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I asked this exact same question during a fun time live show, unfortunately they are a little too concerned with PCI-E lanes and not enough with shear POWER!

They did eventually let slip that each source will use its own thread/core. I am doing online eSports stuff, I don't care about PCI-E lanes apart from the capture card I use to bring in the game footage. I WOULD however like to run up to 8 vmix call inputs while doing instant replay playback without having to stop capturing the 4 sources and whatnot. I want to overlay multiple NDI sources, and output this to various streaming platforms.

This is VERY demanding on the cpu and it is clearly the only bottleneck in the system.

So, the question I want answered is, if I do not care about PCI-E lanes, are higher core systems able to be fully utilized on the cpu side of things?
DWAM  
#27 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 2:17:33 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
I asked this exact same question

Hi Element

if your question does not concern the ability to use simultaneously multiple graphic cards and multiple capture cards in a single vMix host, I'm afraid it is NOT the EXACT same subject. Answers given here address this issue.

You'd better create your own topic with your particular use case instead of being off-topic right here if you want advices.

My2 cts
Guillaume
element  
#28 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 2:29:59 AM(UTC)
element

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
DWAM wrote:
Quote:
I asked this exact same question

Hi Element

if your question does not concern the ability to use simultaneously multiple graphic cards and multiple capture cards in a single vMix host, I'm afraid it is NOT the EXACT same subject. Answers given here address this issue.

You'd better create your own topic with your particular use case instead of being off-topic right here if you want advices.

My2 cts
Guillaume

Hey, yeah that was the question on the live show, whether a beastly dual Xeon system with multiple quadros would have a major benefit over the current x99/1080 setup.

This is the part from the original post that caught my attention,

Quote:
we pushed our CPU harder than we originally thought.

Which is the same conundrum I am facing, I max out my CPU and have to resort to turning off instant replay recording when I show the clip (with a trigger) and streaming at superfast encoding speeds which is not ideal, artifacting all over the place.
IceStream  
#29 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 10:12:41 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
hellokitty wrote:
You just got to know how to set your system up, Turn all the stuff off you dont use in the bios, set your pcie devices correctly in the bios "not automatic"

I think this is the crux of the matter when it comes to tweaking a system for optimal performance, most people either don't know how or are uncomfortable with such things (myself included)...
For most of us, it has to work "out of the box", plug and play so to speak, which I think is the approach the vMix Team takes with regards to it's software.
Just my thoughts.

Ice
BloodyIron  
#30 Posted : Monday, May 8, 2017 5:42:09 PM(UTC)
BloodyIron

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
No, the original topic is in the title "Loads of CPU cores". The statement of the quadros and other things included was to outlined that they would not be the bottleneck.