logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
topherharris  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2021 7:52:47 AM(UTC)
topherharris

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I'm having this maddening problem with vMix Social...but only with Facebook posts.

I'm trying to grab images people post when we ask for them. We've created a Social template with the usual info, but I've also tested this with the built-in Social Titles (ie SocialTitle1) as an input.

I created a bunch of Virtual Inputs, renamed them, loaded them into vMix Social and start sending posts to each input. For the Twitter posts, everything comes in as expected. However, for Facebook, sometimes it pulls the photo, but MANY times it pulls a photo used in the past. Meaning, I'll see the person's Facebook post in the Web Interface, it shows the proper image, then when I hit "Send," their name, message, and profile image appear, but an old photo appears instead of the one I clearly see in the Web Interface. It does this even after I close vMix, Social, the Web interface.

For one test, I had six posts with photos. Three pulled the correct photo. Three pulled an old photo.

I've tried this on both 23.0.0.68 & 24.0.0.44.

Please advise.

Christopher
admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2021 12:18:16 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
topherharris  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2021 4:27:35 AM(UTC)
topherharris

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

-
vMix Social temporarily stores images such as profile images and content photos in order to improve performance.
In recent releases (version 6.0.0.11 or higher) vMix Social will automatically cache images for a maximum of 24 hours, which should cover most situations of a profile image being changed.
If more rapid changes are required, see below to clear out the cache manually.

If these images are changed on the social media web site, they may not update in vMix Social as a result.

To solve this, you can regularly delete the files in the Windows temporary folder by typing in the path below in Windows File Explorer:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
-

This did not solve the problem. Therefore, this is not yet "*RESOLVED*".

1. I went to that temp folder mentioned in the article you linked. There are LOTS of files in there unrelated to vMix. Since I didn't know how vMix names the temporary files it stores, I didn't know what I could delete without potentially messing up some other functions. Might it make sense for vMix to create a vMix Temp folder to store them in? Or, add a "Clear image cache" button to vMix?

2. Regardless of #1, I ran a vMix Social test with that Temp folder open.
a. After sending a few posts to vMix, I saw some files appear in the temp folder. I then deleted similar files.
b. I found two Facebook posts. I sent one to SocialTitle1.xaml. It loaded all the correct imagery and data.
c. I sent the second FB post to SocialTitle2.xaml. It loaded the FromPhoto, Message, Source and FromName. However, it loaded the Photo from SocialTitle1...NOT the correct Photo from the Facebook post itself. (which appear to be .php files). I see two .php files in the temp folder, but it's not updating the SocialTitle properly.
3. After clearing the temp folder of all images, sending a FB Post to SocialTitle1 and then sending a DIFFERENT post, from a DIFFERENT user, with a DIFFERENT photo to SocialTitle2, it puts the Photo from SocialTitle1 in the Photo spot for SocialTitle2.

So, with that, are you suggesting I clear the Temp folder for EVERY FB post we make? I can't imagine this is how vMix Social should function. Again, this does not happen with Twitter posts. Only Facebook.

This seems like a bug.

Christopher
admin  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2021 12:47:12 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi,

Sorry to hear that, but I am unable to replicate this behavior and Facebook does not use php files in my tests, so something is strange is going on with your account.
It uses unique ids for each photo so these should never overlap or double up.

Not sure what to advise further as it works in our tests, is there anything different or special about the particular page/post you are using to submit posts from?

Also FYI temp folders are fine to clear out in Windows, they are temp so files in there are not needed once apps are closed.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
admin  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2021 3:08:40 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi,

I've just updated vMix Social in the latest 24 beta:
https://forums.vmix.com/...-Released#post88926'

While I haven't been able to replicate it myself, it is possible some facebook servers are not providing unique filenames for photos on comments.
Perhaps due to the rapid pace of popular streams, the comments may not be using the cdn as they normally do.
Therefore we have added further unique information to the photo filenames to prevent duplicates, so give it a go and see if it helps with the problem.

Refards,

Martin
vMix