logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CorgieFan  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2020 9:23:32 AM(UTC)
CorgieFan

Groups: Registered

How can I "perform" in vMix to a video clip and have what I'm doing and the video be in sync? For instance, here's a visual metronome video on youtube as an example. I've tried to play that in a vMix video, whether I was playing it as a video file off my computer or from Youtube using vMix's browser URL, but either way I'm about a 1/2 second behind the video/audio when I play it back.

(example metronome video)

How can I get external audio/video like that to be synced to what I'm actually doing as I hear it in vMix? It seems like such a straight-ahead thing to do. Please advise, I've spent about a full day on this and I'm pretty stuck. :-)
============================

UPDATE: I figured out how to do it! It takes advantage of my sound card software which not everyone can copy, but I believe there are a couple other solutions as well. What I did:

1) Created [Bus A] in vMix and routed the signal to an unused sound card channel "Adat 3+4" (I'm using TotalFX driver software bundled with Babyface Pro sound card.) There's a "LOOPED" button that can be ticked in TotalFX that makes the Adat 3+4 channel an output as well.

2) Created Audio Input of MP3 or Youtube URL (both work for this) and assigned to Bus A. Had headphones ON (lit) to hear that audio.

3) Created 2nd Audio Input channel with INPUT of Adat 3+4. Experimented and set the audio delay to 60ms for that channel.Had headphones OFF (grayed out) to NOT hear that audio signal.

Result: Not only is an MP3 completely synced by doing that, but for the Youtube video the video is synced as well as the audio, I wasn't even expecting that.

OTHER POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:

If that didn't work, my next plan was to download this Virtual Audio Cable software, which looks like you can use as a send and an input in the same way I did with my audio driver software. Check out Youtube videos to see how to use it. Like I said, I didn't actually use it but it seems like it can be used to do the same thing:
https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

HARDWARE SOLUTION: Another post here said the Bus A can be routed to an external (hardware) mixer then re-routed back in to vMix as an input (like above) after applying the needed ms delay. I didn't have an external mixer to try it on, but I'm certain that works.

Hope that helps somebody! The above is needed if you're wanting to interact in time with music / video / karaoke / songs / dancing / whatever where a half second delay won't work.