logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GoGo  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 2, 2017 7:30:15 AM(UTC)
GoGo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I was looking into buying the ASUS 15.6" ROG Strix GL502VM Notebook with Thunderbolt3, but every site that I checked, does not seem to carry the ASUS with added thunderbolt3. Could you send me a link where I can purchase the recommended Sapphire Laptop.

Thank you
RichShumaker  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 2, 2017 2:29:23 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
GoGo wrote:
I was looking into buying the ASUS 15.6" ROG Strix GL502VM Notebook with Thunderbolt3, but every site that I checked, does not seem to carry the ASUS with added thunderbolt3. Could you send me a link where I can purchase the recommended Sapphire Laptop.

Thank you

There are other ones that fit the bill like the Alienware, ACER, & MSI.

The lower end ASUS don't have the T3 connector.
MSI Dominator - http://a.co/cIPrPJi
Price $1500
ACER Predator - Link: http://a.co/60SFbgP
Price $1365
Alienware - Link: http://a.co/aWWBKDk
Price $1600

ASUS seems to have taken out the T3 connector and only have Type C 3.1 USB, 10 for USB 3.1 VS 40 for T3, be aware it is the SAME connector for both.
If you see the side and it is a Type C connector look for the Lighting bolt symbol. That is the easiest way to tell if they are using it as a T3 connector.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Rich Shumaker
thanks 2 users thanked RichShumaker for this useful post.
SportsNetUSA.net on 4/2/2017(UTC), GoGo on 4/3/2017(UTC)
RichShumaker  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 2, 2017 2:33:48 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

Here is a great example of how the specification reads,
From Alienware site for the lowest model $899 13" laptop BUT that only has a 1050 and it is recommended to have at least a 1060.

1. Thunderbolt™ 3 Port (USB Type-C™ with support for SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps, 40Gbps Thunderbolt, and DisplayPort)

I am looking for a picture to show you that fancy lighting bolt symbol.

Here is what the ASUS ROG Laptop site says now
USB type-C connectivity and mini DisplayPort
The reversible USB Type-C port gives you easier device connections and hyper-fast 10Gbps data transfer speeds via USB 3.1 Gen 1. Transferring a 2GB movie file just takes less than 2 seconds to complete!
See the difference there is no mention of THUNDERBOLT 3 or 40Gbps transfers.

Here is a great page by MSI explaining the advantages and it has a fancy lightning bolt picture too, ;)
https://www.msi.com/blog...hunderbolt-3-performance

Rich Shumaker
thanks 1 user thanked RichShumaker for this useful post.
GoGo on 4/3/2017(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 2, 2017 2:36:44 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
The ASUS store only list four (4) ROG laptops with Thunderbolt 3. The lowest cost one, ASUS ROG G752VY-DH78K Intel i7 2.7GHz 64GB Memory 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD GTX980M 8GB Thunderbolt 3 starts at $2799.00.

As RichShumaker pointed out, might want to look at other brands.
thanks 2 users thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
RichShumaker on 4/2/2017(UTC), GoGo on 4/3/2017(UTC)
RichShumaker  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 2, 2017 2:43:49 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
The ASUS store only list four (4) ROG laptops with Thunderbolt 3. The lowest cost one, ASUS ROG G752VY-DH78K Intel i7 2.7GHz 64GB Memory 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD GTX980M 8GB Thunderbolt 3 starts at $2799.00.

As RichShumaker pointed out, might want to look at other brands.

Thanks for finding that @SportsNetUSA.net I knew they made them except I could not find them when I was searching for them.
Taking T3 out of the lower end models is a real shame as it makes for a great 2nd or 3rd machine because of NDI.
You could buy a lower cost T3 laptop and use it to capture and covert to NDI or almost anything else, T3 is very powerful.

Rich Shumaker
GoGo on 4/3/2017(UTC)
RichShumaker  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 2, 2017 4:38:33 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

This ASUS laptop came up on the This and That FB Page
Link: http://a.co/eY0clHn
Price $2399

And that led me to this model
ASUS - Link: http://a.co/4fUeDom
Price $1625
Here is the details that you need to find and sometimes they bury in the specs.
Extensive Connectivity
The well-equipped G752VM with onboard Intel Thunderbolt technology gives you single-cable data and signal transmission rates of up to 40Gbits/s – four times the bandwidth of USB 3.1. ROG G752VM gives you both Intel Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 Type-C for increased compatibility with your various devices.

Both Models have T3 and are from ASUS.

ASUS has an amazing $999 laptop except no T3 and that made me sad as it was really good otherwise.
Since I mentioned it here is the link - REMEMBER NO T3 on this one and it is only a 1050ti - Link: http://a.co/8Mv1WzJ

I am glad I was able to find them as I had seen them before but I couldn't find them when I wanted too.

Good Luck in your Laptop search and let us know what you go with and how you make out.

Rich Shumaker
GoGo on 4/3/2017(UTC)
vmixsupport  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 2, 2017 8:26:30 PM(UTC)
vmixsupport

Groups: Registered, Administrators

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 67 post(s)
The ASUS laptop listed on our Reference Systems page can be found on the B&H website.
thanks 2 users thanked vmixsupport for this useful post.
GoGo on 4/3/2017(UTC), RichShumaker on 4/3/2017(UTC)
GoGo  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 6:01:08 AM(UTC)
GoGo

vmixsupport wrote:
The ASUS laptop listed on our Reference Systems page can be found on the B&H website.

This particular model, doesn't have a thunderbolt3 port.
admin  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 6:22:45 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4155 time(s) in 1493 post(s)
See the specs on that B&H page:

1 x Thunderbolt 3 via USB Type-C

We confirmed this by buying this exact model and tested it on our last live show.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
GoGo on 4/3/2017(UTC), RichShumaker on 4/3/2017(UTC)
zenvideo  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 7:02:28 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
I think the issue with specifying a "GL502VM" is that Asus varies the specifications in different countries. I buy Asus through a UK distributor so asked about the GL502VM and the only model they had listed was one with an i5 7300 CPU and Type C USB3.1 GEN2 Thunderbolt. (Asus UK GL502VM)
thanks 1 user thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
GoGo on 4/5/2017(UTC)
castfeeder  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 7:12:31 AM(UTC)
castfeeder

Here in the UK we just bought the GL502VM from https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N4L0RA9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 last week. As you can see from the Thunderbolt settings grab (link below), it does indeed have Tbolt 3. Note though that there is no 'lightning' symbol next to port. https://www.dropbox.com/s/d220zarazi5yq9y/2017-04-02_11-42-27.png?dl=0

By the way, how do we add images to forum posts?
thanks 1 user thanked castfeeder for this useful post.
GoGo on 4/5/2017(UTC)
IceStream  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 11:13:07 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ castfeeder

"how do we add images to forum posts?"

You need to use a third party image sharing site (link to always on server), and use the embed code.
I like to use imgr.com, but there are many others or perhaps you have your own.

Ice
thanks 2 users thanked IceStream for this useful post.
castfeeder on 4/3/2017(UTC), GoGo on 4/5/2017(UTC)
RichShumaker  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 3:15:40 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

vmixsupport wrote:

THANKS!!!
I searched for that system for a while as I remembered it being a great price to benefits option.

It seems that the 10 series of GPU's have made laptops plummet in price and M.2 SSD has made them super fast compared to a desktop.
M.2 is 3 to 4 times faster than regular SSD drives.
I have a feeling that people will start getting better performance out of tiny laptops then they did with desktops.

Although the CPU is not as beefy, it would be funny if you could add a Ryzen CPU in a T3 box for number crunching, I know that is not how it really works but it would be cool.

Thanks again vMix team for the amazing software and all your help.

Rich Shumaker
GoGo on 4/5/2017(UTC)
RichShumaker  
#14 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 3:54:50 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

Here is a laptop that would make a great entry level vMix production machine.
For $850 it has a 1050ti 4GB and an i5 not an i7 and NO T3 only USB 3.0 not even 3.1.
http://shop.lenovo.com/u...eries/y520/#galleryVideo
This system seems to be a great balance of low cost high power.

I would recommend you you swap out the 5400RPM drive for an M.2 drive for speed.
That could cost a few $100 at least.
Also dropping in 8GB more RAM would be cool also probably another $100.
Both of these could be done at a later time and not the first day.
Also if you have an old 2.5" SSD you could swap that right away.

It does have 3 USB 3.0 ports and could potentially do at least 2 maybe 3 cameras.
Gigabit LAN makes it great for NDI as well.

The hunt continues, heheh.

Honestly if I had several $1000 laying around I could see this as being a huge vMix test bed opportunity.
Also any content producers would find these laptop reviews helpful as if it is good at vMix then it would be good to create content.
I am sure the encode times for YouTube videos on the i5 would not be amazing but not horrible at the same time.

Thanks everyone for checking out this post.

Rich Shumaker
GoGo on 4/5/2017(UTC)
element  
#15 Posted : Saturday, April 22, 2017 3:28:12 AM(UTC)
element

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
RichShumaker wrote:
It seems that the 10 series of GPU's have made laptops plummet in price and M.2 SSD has made them super fast compared to a desktop.
I have a feeling that people will start getting better performance out of tiny laptops then they did with desktops.

You can put M.2 drives in desktops, in fact you can put more M.2 ssds in a desktop than in a laptop.

Laptops will always be limited by space and heat dissipation.
RichShumaker  
#16 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:34:45 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

element wrote:
RichShumaker wrote:

You can put M.2 drives in desktops, in fact you can put more M.2 ssds in a desktop than in a laptop.

Laptops will always be limited by space and heat dissipation.

To me the Modern 10 series laptops only limitation is the # of simultaneous video I/O, with T3 it is 4 HD inputs or outputs based on other threads I have read as it has the speed of an X4 PCI port. The video inputs and outputs are the only place a dedicated PC will always beat a modern 10 series laptop. Keep reading for more details on this 'idea/theory' of mine.

I agree laptops are limited by space and heat dissipation. Which is the reason I think they are using M.2 more than the desktop MB were. Now desktop MB have more M.2 then they did when I first wrote this. Everyone noticed just how fast M.2 is and they are making sure to put it on the MB as standard SSD's are slow compared to M.2. We are seeing more an more MB with multiple M.2 slots on the board itself.

Of course Motherboards or Mainboards have PCI expansion and therefore can add more M.2 except at the time I write this no one has created a 4 M.2 X16 PCI board or even a 2 M.2 X8 card. The PCI boards that have 2 M.2 slots are actually only 1 M.2(Fast Speed) and 1 basically throttled port(same speed I think as SSD) it is an X4 PCI card. FYI this is what I have in my old PC right now and it is blazingly fast. So in a standard MB X8 X8 X4 configuration you can get a graphics card a capture card and only 1 M.2 PCI card. If you MB has 1 M.2 on the MB then 1 MB M.2 + 1 PCI Card = 2 which is the same as the laptop listed below. So it is not completely 'true' that a desktop can have more M.2 then a laptop. If you have 0 M.2 on the Mainboard then you will have less than the Alienware 15 R3 unless you don't need a graphics card or a capture card and load up on 3 PCI M.2 cards.

The Alienware 15R3 laptops have 3 M.2 slots. 2 for SSD's and 1 for the Wifi. Not sure if the wifi is fast enough for a hard drive instead of wifi/bluetooth combo card.

Honestly for size and power the current batch of laptops is pretty awesome as you don't give up graphics performance and some included T3. T3 is not common on MB and I think that is because you can always use PCI cards with them. I have been crunching the numbers on desktop MB and here it goes you get 1 graphics card(X8), 1 capture card(X8), 1 PCI M.2 card(X4) and then you can't have any X1 cards. It all comes down to the Motherboards as that is the make it or break it when building a system if it beats the laptops.

Like I said I have been pretty impressed by the 10 series laptops and because they exist the desktop systems are much lower in price and much more powerful then ever. $799 for a 1060 desktop PC is common and WOW the power.
Final note Yuan makes M.2 capture cards and I think that Magewell is going to have them as well if they don't already.

Rich Shumaker