logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RichShumaker  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 12:57:53 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
When I try to position things in the multiview I dislike the precision and I don't get the #'s.
Most programs say Rotate -360 to +360 with 0 being default.
So if I want to rotate something I hit 180 or -180 and then if I merged between both of these the screen would rotate around 360 degrees.

It is not that easy in vMix. In vMix it seems that degrees have been converted to decimals.
Is there a Degree to vMix decimal system, should I be using SIN or COS for this stuff?
Example, if I want to rotate something in the Z plane 180 degrees I type in 3.1415(Pi) or that is what I think is happening and that I do.

If someone could explain it then maybe I don't need anything just more math skillz.

Ideally all of the X Y and Z planes would be able to go from -360 to +360 degrees and that is just to allow for cool rotational FX.
You could just go -180 to +180 and that would cover the full 360 degrees.

Thanks for checking out my feature request and please let me know if this has already been asked for as I checked and did not see it.

Rich Shumaker
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 1, 2017 11:00:41 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ RichShumaker

I will agree that working the 3D space on vMix's 2D surface is very challenging and I have no idea how the numbers work, you should also notice how the perspective changes as you move and zoom an "Input" around on that plane (that might have something to do with the numbers,IDK), there is simply no way to know exactly "where" the Input is in 3D space (you only have the FRONT view), not to mention the fact that you are dealing with individual layers as well.
In the end, it is an optical illusion that is created and not an actual 3D space. Although I agree that such 3D manipulation would take vMix to another level, at this point, I think it is well beyond vMix's primary functionality to start worrying about realtime 3D rendering in a Virtual 3D Space. As mentioned in another post, the technology behind these effects is quite sophisticated and costly for live broadcasts and we are probably a long ways away from seeing it in vMix. In the meantime, with a significant amount of patience and tweaking, you can approximate and mimic some pretty cool special effect looks with vMix as it is today. If a mathematical explanation of the 'numbers' helps in some way, then I am all for it, but I suspect it wont make much difference as it will likely still require you to manipulate the sliders to get the right look you are after.
Just my thoughts.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
RichShumaker on 4/1/2017(UTC)
RichShumaker  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 1, 2017 1:37:48 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

@IceStream

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to know why the numbers are not as easy as they are with other programs.
I am use to using 30 60 90 180 degrees and I have a feeling I will need a degree to decimal calculation each time I try to rotate 90 Degrees.

Currently I do exactly what you are discussing and I have found that the MultiView is my friend.
Overlays don't do realtime updates but Multiview does.
So I can tweak in Multiview and then I can go over to the Overlay and transfer the #'s.

Crud I just had a new feature request.
Copy Paste Location Data between Multiview and Overlay.
Off to read up and see if it already exists and then add it if it doesn't.

Thanks again IceStream.

Rich Shumaker
RichShumaker  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:19:10 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

@Admin

Is there a chart or a mathy thing I can do for Degrees to decimals?
I have a feeling that any scientific calculator has what I need I just need a refresher on this.

Thanks.

Rich Shumaker
RichShumaker  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 27, 2017 4:37:36 AM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

Figured the mathy stuff out with the calculator.
http://www.rapidtables.c...-radians.htm?x=90&y=

I also figured out how to do the 360 I was discussing but it is a bit weird and probably won't work but it is worth a try.
Half way through I envision a flip to another multiview input to allow a full spin based on the math of XYZ.

Rich Shumaker