logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
moore.tech  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 9:44:58 PM(UTC)
moore.tech

Groups: Registered

I have a venue that wants to stream a live event to displays around the building complex. I would prefer to have the displays (PCs connected to the displays to connect directly to the vMix for the live stream.) I have seen others discussing a desire for multicast. Has anyone found a solution for this?

Another idea was to install a trial version of vMix on each of the PCs connected to the displays and use NDI to pull the output from my main vMix. Is this a viable option?

The third option I was thinking was to install an RTSP server on another machine as the target and then point the PCs to the server. Has someone done something like this? What exactly did you do?

The venue is a brand new venue and they are not allowing me to run cables through doorways, etc. Distances are also quite long.

If someone has any other ideas, I would appreciate a tip.

Thank!
kjones9999  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:55:32 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
For NDI you could use Newtek's video monitor.

How many locations?

https://columbuscountysc...928448e694da428e4706f299

As far as streaming it in-house I wrote this guide that could be used to do that as well.
moore.tech  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:57:29 PM(UTC)
moore.tech

kjones9999 wrote:
For NDI you could use Newtek's video monitor.

How many locations?

They want at least 4 locations. One is in another building on the same campus.
kjones9999  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:00:03 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

NDI and Newtek Video Monitor should work nicely over wired internet.
thanks 1 user thanked kjones9999 for this useful post.
moore.tech on 3/10/2017(UTC)
moore.tech  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 10, 2017 1:25:18 AM(UTC)
moore.tech

kjones9999 wrote:
NDI and Newtek Video Monitor should work nicely over wired internet.

I tested it out. had to play with the Windows Firewall settings but it is working great over network. There is a block on connections to vMix on the Public firewall setting. Can either reclassify the network connection on vMix machine or remove the block and only allow connections to specific IP address to the vMix application.

Thanks kJones, for getting me going in the right direction.
DWAM  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 10, 2017 3:27:55 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi!

There are many options : NDI, Multicast, HDMI over Ethernet, WMV Streaming, vMixCall and a streaming server (more likely for RTMP, TS or HLS than for RTSP)

NDI is the easiest and probably the best option but it is also the greediest one in terms of bandwidth, so you have to make sure that :
- all remote displays are on the same physical LAN network (or at least on a common VLan)
- all remote displays are connected to the venue wired infrastructure. This requires at least CAT5e. CAT6 is better.
- that you have at least 500 Mbits available bandwidth that can be dedicated for this usage
You need a NDI compatible computer for each display (at least i5 with GTX)
I think the fourth location (another building) won't let you use NDI (unless you use NDI.Cloud).

HDMI over Ethernet is also a good solution as it allows one transmitter to push the signal to multiple receivers. It's plug and play and delivers a pretty good image/sound quality. Bandwidth requirements are very low.
So basically you only have to plug the transmitter to your HDMI output (with a splitter for example) on one side and to the venue network's switch. Then plug the receivers where you need them: on the network with CAT5 and the displays with HDMI.
Here again the other building is a problem.

WMV Streaming is native in vMix through the recording feature. It was designed to stream to a local network. Requires a receiver computer with a player like VLC or Windows Media Player for each display. It allows connections from different networks thru WAN/VPN. The routers need adjustments.

Multicast is the most efficient technology in terms of bandwidth (only one stream) but it requires an external encoder like FFMPEG or VLC. Requires a receiver computer with a player like VLC or Windows Media Player for each display.
Here again the other building is a problem.

Using a local streaming server like Wowza could be a good option as it will give access for the 4th destination. Requires a receiver computer with a player like VLC for each display. I would use MPEG/TS protocol for this.

For the fourth destination you could use a 2nd vMix with vMix Call feature... vMix to vMix with 1080 4 Mbits stream, if the display's not too big it might be good enough.

These projects are doable but you must serioulsly talk to the IT guys at the venue 'cos you need very detailled information concerning the network infrastructure and maybe some adjustments are required, like VLAN setup or Router config.

Finally the easiest option is to stream to Youtube and have all displays play the YouTube stream. This will work for sure. It is also the cheapest way and depending on the displays type it might not even require extra computers (SmartTVs can play YouTube on the go)

Interesting project. Need serious pre-prod study. Not as easy as it seems...

Guillaume
moore.tech  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:34:52 PM(UTC)
moore.tech

Well I got a solution that is working with NDI.

Background
Here is what worked for me.
The school wanted 4 TVs displaying a live feed of an all day event located in multiple locations and a couple of buildings.
They did not want cables running through the halls and originally wanted to run this over WiFi and streamed to and from YouTube. I was resistant to use stream to the internet and back with a live feed. I have had issues before with streaming when I don't control the network. it was suggested from this thread to use NDI as an options. I tested on my own network and it worked fine once I adjusted the firewall on the vmix source. I was event able to have a 1080 feed running on a 6 gen i7 wirelessly.

Venue Network
The network consisted of Cisco network gigabit switches with 10G fiber up-links to a central Cisco core. Wireless was a Cisco Miraki network.

Testing at Venue
When I got to the venue for testing, it was hit an miss on connecting and the FHD video was dropping frames. It also seemed that if I disconnected from the source in NDI Video Monitor, it sometimes would not reconnect and often would not even show the source again. I convinced the venue to connect their laptops connected to the TVs over an Ethernet cable. We still had issues. I used my own gigabit switch connecting my vMix and laptops and it worked great. I suggested that they place my switch in their closet and use it but it turned out that the locations involved 3 closets connect back to the core through fiber.

Day 2. I returned and they connected all but one of the laptops to the network via Ethernet cables and made network config changes to forward Bonjour across network and wireless. Still had trouble. After some network troubleshooting I decided to experiment with NDI Access Manager even though all devices were on the same subnet. I put the IP of my vMix on the networks tab and then added a Server outputs group and a Displays Receive group. BAM! It worked.

I had venue convert the DHCP address of my vMix to a static reserve and then configured Access Manager on all the laptops connected to the displays. All worked, even the wireless, except it is dropping frames. The laptop being used only has an N card in it, not a AC wireless card. My laptop with an AC adapter works fine. The venue as decided that dropping frame on the one display will be acceptable.

Lessons learned
If you are going to use NDI for temporary events...
1. Make sure your Source computer's firewall is open so that Video Monitor (clients) can connect.
2. Use your own network gear where ever possible. You will not have to deal with unknown configurations, possible network issues, intermittent traffic problems.
3. If you must use client's network, ensure you test at the venue well in advance. Request that they verify mDNS (bonjour) is permitted and forwarded across the network.
4. Use wired network where possible
5. If you must use wireless, make sure it is an AC wireless for full HD. Make sure your clients have an AC network card as well.
6. Use NDI Access Manager and configure it with your NDI source on the Network tab. I would recommend always using Access Manager just to be safe.

I found that the NDI stream took between 100-150 Mb/s for a 1080i 59.94 stream. A little more than what is in documentation.

Question for vMix staff
Actually this is a feature request. Can you add an advanced button to the NDI settings? vMix should be able to do the same thing as Access Manager so you can pull in other NDI sources. If the Access Manager broadcast info vMix should be able to do that as well.

moore.tech attached the following image(s):
Access_Manager_NDI_Groups.png (17kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
Access_Manager_NDI_Networks.png (12kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
kjones9999  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 17, 2017 6:23:50 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Thanks for posting this helpful info!
DWAM  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2017 6:50:47 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi

thanks for this feedback. Finally you dropped the idea of broadcasting to the other building?

Maybe you can update this topic's title so that it reflects better the content. Finally it turned out RTSP or Multicast are not even discussed here. Something like "Options for distributing a stream on a local network" or "Using NDI to feed multiple screens on a local network" would be more informative for other users looking for this type of information.

Guillaume