logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DWAM  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 5, 2017 12:20:53 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Groups: Registered
Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi

still trying to find solutions for easy switching inside multiviews, virtual sets or external2 out as explained in a previous feature request concerning the creation of a new AUX/MATRIX input type. See : https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=8622

SetMultiviewOverlay is a great help to do it, but it requires a lot of shortcuts/activators. Using it with 6 inputs to manipulate 3 overlays in a single multiview requires 18 buttons! Now that we have 10 possible overlays in multiviews, we will soon need 512 buttons on midi devices if we want to trigger everything. My Akai APC Mini is already too small to handle all possible combinations for 6 inputs and 2 multiviews (+ obvious preview/pgm/overlays/PiP switches for sure)!

Last night I was playing with the "Hover" command and it came to my mind that this principle of hovering inputs could be very handy for sub-switching inside multiviews/virtualsets if we had a "HOVER TO" or "SWITCH TO" command.

Let me explain:
Hover works like this > you place your mouse over an input - input1 e.g. - and when you trigger the hover command, it sends a pre-defined input as an overlay into input1
The command is like this :
Code:
?Function=Hover&Input={mouse-hovered-input}&Value=1,2

(where 1 is the overlay and 2 the input to insert)

If we could have a Hover-To/Switch-To command, it could work like this :
- Press a button that activates the Hover-To mode for a defined overlay inside a defined multiview
- Position your mouse over an input and release the button
> the overlay input in my multiview is replaced by new one

So for Multiview=input7, if I want to switch input for overlay1, command would be like this:
Code:
?Function=Hover-To&Input=7&Value=1,{mouse-hovered-input}

For a 3 overlay multiview and 6 possible inputs, it would require only 3 buttons to do that when it requires 18 buttons right now!

Ideal would be if mouse hover could also be an input select either from an external controller or a mouse click. In fact, this Hover-To command would need to be pressed (midi on), kept pressed until an input is selected and command sent on midi off (if we use a midi controller for example). So maybe the name "Hover-To" is not ideal, as mouse hovering is not the preferred method, but having a mode activation that waits for input selection is more what I'd like to see in vMix.

Same principle could be used for VirtualSets and External2.

Hope you'll like the idea. It could open a lot of perspectives.

Thanks
Guillaume
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 4:41:10 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Slightly updated the topic's title and content, after I realized "Hover-To" is not the best name for this feature request.

Keep in mind this request concerns a switching method which allows to choose a destination when pressing/holding a button until an input is clicked/hovered/selected for this destination.

This could be a major improvement for vMix

Guillaume
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 11:55:58 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

To be very clear here are examples how it could work with mouse and keyboard shortcuts

Switch-to External2
Define a shortcut for this, e.g. CTRL
> Press & Hold CTRL key
> click any input (or use your trigger for this input) and release CTRL

Switch-to Overlay1 in Multiview
Define a shortcut for this, e.g. A
> Press & Hold A key
> click any input (or use your trigger for this input) and release A

Switch-to Overlay2 in Multiview
Define a shortcut for this, e.g. Q
> Press & Hold Q key
> click any input (or use your trigger for this input) and release Q

Switch-to Overlay3 in Multiview
Define a shortcut for this, e.g. W
> Press & Hold W key
> click any input (or use your trigger for this input) and release W

and so on...

That'd be super cool!
Jobonoobdude  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 1:27:13 PM(UTC)
Jobonoobdude

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1!
I use multiviews almost exclusively, this would be amazing for saving midi control space and would speed up production immensely! And it'd be cool too.
thanks 2 users thanked Jobonoobdude for this useful post.
DWAM on 3/27/2017(UTC), stergi on 6/17/2020(UTC)
stergi  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 5:49:19 PM(UTC)
stergi

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1

Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
Hi

still trying to find solutions for easy switching inside multiviews, virtual sets or external2 out as explained in a previous feature request concerning the creation of a new AUX/MATRIX input type. See : https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=8622

SetMultiviewOverlay is a great help to do it, but it requires a lot of shortcuts/activators. Using it with 6 inputs to manipulate 3 overlays in a single multiview requires 18 buttons! Now that we have 10 possible overlays in multiviews, we will soon need 512 buttons on midi devices if we want to trigger everything. My Akai APC Mini is already too small to handle all possible combinations for 6 inputs and 2 multiviews (+ obvious preview/pgm/overlays/PiP switches for sure)!

Last night I was playing with the "Hover" command and it came to my mind that this principle of hovering inputs could be very handy for sub-switching inside multiviews/virtualsets if we had a "HOVER TO" or "SWITCH TO" command.

Let me explain:
Hover works like this > you place your mouse over an input - input1 e.g. - and when you trigger the hover command, it sends a pre-defined input as an overlay into input1
The command is like this :
Code:
?Function=Hover&Input={mouse-hovered-input}&Value=1,2

(where 1 is the overlay and 2 the input to insert)

If we could have a Hover-To/Switch-To command, it could work like this :
- Press a button that activates the Hover-To mode for a defined overlay inside a defined multiview
- Position your mouse over an input and release the button
> the overlay input in my multiview is replaced by new one

So for Multiview=input7, if I want to switch input for overlay1, command would be like this:
Code:
?Function=Hover-To&Input=7&Value=1,{mouse-hovered-input}

For a 3 overlay multiview and 6 possible inputs, it would require only 3 buttons to do that when it requires 18 buttons right now!

Ideal would be if mouse hover could also be an input select either from an external controller or a mouse click. In fact, this Hover-To command would need to be pressed (midi on), kept pressed until an input is selected and command sent on midi off (if we use a midi controller for example). So maybe the name "Hover-To" is not ideal, as mouse hovering is not the preferred method, but having a mode activation that waits for input selection is more what I'd like to see in vMix.

Same principle could be used for VirtualSets and External2.

Hope you'll like the idea. It could open a lot of perspectives.

Thanks
Guillaume

DWAM  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 5:58:16 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Thanks for your +1 Stergi but this FR is a little outdated since we now have shortcuts for dynamic overlay management within multiviews and Mix inputs...

The upcoming Dynamic Inputs announced for v24 will also address these issues (and many more) as I suggested it for pretty much the same reasons...
https://forums.vmix.com/...-Functions-for-Shortcuts

However feel free to explain your expected usecases, it might reveal more potential with this FR

Guillaume