logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ittaidv  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 3:58:18 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Groups: Registered
Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I know it's not vmix related, but it's livestream production related, so hope this question can be answered here.

We're looking for some good walkies. We always rent kenwoods for our production, but would like to buy some of our own in the near future.

I'm looking for something which has a solid build quality, great outdoor and indoor range and not too expensive. Like a kenwood, but without the price tag ;)

We have experience with baofeng BF 8888s walkies, but they are absolute garbage. Range is ok in some cases, but build quality is absolute crap. But ok, what can you say when you paid them 14$ each :D

Also we own some heli headsets, which fit on kenwood walkies, so preferably we would like to keep using those as well.
rinaldo  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 4:19:08 PM(UTC)
rinaldo

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I use these walkies -> https://www.amazon.it/gp...05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with these headsets -> https://www.amazon.it/gp...07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was using Boafeng but they are very bad with a lot of interference.... Replaced with these and works nice!
Ittaidv  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 4:21:56 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Retevis = baofeng, but rebranded. You use the ones we also had, and we destroyed them after like 20 productions :) Also we don't like the range and sound quality. Compare them to kenwood, and you will hear the difference.

We use these headsets, and they're indestructible: goo.gl/Kp2xHQ
rinaldo  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 4:31:22 PM(UTC)
rinaldo

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I use the Retevis twice a week @ -5 C° and works nice for the price.

I know what you mean when you say Kenwood... All my amateur radio equipments are from Kenwood but the price is completely different ;-)
Ittaidv  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 4:35:30 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Indeed, we could buy an entry level set of 6 pieces at 1300 euro, but considering the price difference with 14$ baofengs or retevis, I hope there is something in the middle :)
nashenden  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 6:49:36 PM(UTC)
nashenden

Have you looked into using wifi based systems and cheap Android handsets. No specific recommendations, but something I mean to look into.
Ittaidv  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 7:58:57 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

We need long range for use on festivals and between cars, preferably a few kilometers. So real walkies. For communication after buildup/breakdown we use intercom.
pba  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 8:49:21 PM(UTC)
pba

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
We use this handsets: http://www.446shop.com/Product/Pro811.Html

These are digital pmr radios, and compatible with the Mototrbo Tier I&II systems. No inteference, noise, fadeing, etc. Same coverage like the Kenwood analog PMR radios. The voice is clear but it's not the cheapest radio. We are like this, and we use this headsets in noisy enviroments (like music festivals):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272041752075?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So far so good, I recommend this radios. :)
dundurs  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 2:28:21 PM(UTC)
dundurs

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 22 post(s)
pba wrote:

These are digital pmr radios, and compatible with the Mototrbo Tier I&II systems. No inteference, noise, fadeing, etc. Same coverage like the Kenwood analog PMR radios. The voice is clear but it's not the cheapest radio. We are like this, and we use this headsets in noisy enviroments (like music festivals):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272041752075?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

We tested Motorolla digital walkies once and noticed that there is a delay of ~1sec, and therefore they were not acceptable for live production.
Have you not experienced delay issues with the Tytera walkies ?
pba  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 9:20:34 PM(UTC)
pba

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
There is a small delay, but it's only 200-250ms, this is acceptable for me. Of coruse if you use a repeater station, the delay can be more.

dundurs wrote:
pba wrote:

We tested Motorolla digital walkies once and noticed that there is a delay of ~1sec, and therefore they were not acceptable for live production.
Have you not experienced delay issues with the Tytera walkies ?

al4video  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 9:53:02 PM(UTC)
al4video

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Has anyone found a headset solution that can be used in loud environments such as live music concerts?
Ittaidv  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 10:34:27 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

The ones i posted a few posts up are perfect for that. Also the mics are very good. We do many dance events, and even when close to the dj monitors or to the big speaker stacks, they pick up very well. The headsets dampen the sound, so in loud enviroments they're perfect.

Here the link to the aliexpress shop where we bought them: goo.gl/Kp2xHQ
thanks 1 user thanked Ittaidv for this useful post.
stigaard on 2/20/2017(UTC)
Siroki  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 6:58:02 PM(UTC)
Siroki

Man
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I use also Baofeng 888 or something like that. For that price they can be useful but problem with walkies in my case is that I don't have time to take the walkie and push PTT button to talk. Basketball and soccer run fast and camera switching is fast and with other stuff like graphics etc I don't have much time to talk to cameras :))

I was thinking to use another cheap stuff. I don't know did you get idea for that. The radio transmitter. It can be found for 60-100$ and can cover a range of one kilometer and more. Radio transmitter on some frequency with me (operator) and cheap radio recievers on same frequency with cameras. Radio communication! What do you think about that?
thanks 1 user thanked Siroki for this useful post.
al4video on 2/20/2017(UTC)
Ittaidv  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 8:49:03 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Siroki wrote:
I use also Baofeng 888 or something like that. For that price they can be useful but problem with walkies in my case is that I don't have time to take the walkie and push PTT button to talk. Basketball and soccer run fast and camera switching is fast and with other stuff like graphics etc I don't have much time to talk to cameras :))

I was thinking to use another cheap stuff. I don't know did you get idea for that. The radio transmitter. It can be found for 60-100$ and can cover a range of one kilometer and more. Radio transmitter on some frequency with me (operator) and cheap radio recievers on same frequency with cameras. Radio communication! What do you think about that?

We also used them once as intercom, but they're not really good. We have headsets with some PTT button which you can wear around your finger, but that's not really convenient neither.

As for other radio communication: I don't think it's really good. If you listen to our intercom during a big broadcast, there's a lot of talking going on, and this is essential communication. You need full duplex for the cameramen, in order to talk back. Things like: i'm gonna change a battery, or 'my cable is stuck', are really important. PTT doesn't work for the cutters, neither for the cameramen, since they're mostly too busy. Also radio quality is never really clear, and leads to many misunderstandings, which cause the production to have stupid mistakes.

We also started with 0 euro on our bank account, so I understand the idea of 'going cheap'. That's why we bought those baofengs too in the first place. I think they were a good way to start out, but I'm glad we never went for solutions that were 'a little bit better then baofeng, but still bad' as a go in between. This would have cost a lot of money for things you will replace anyway in the end.

If you have a growing production, better keep it to the baofengs, and save up for a real intercom. On ebay you can have a 2 channel base station for 700 euro or less. Then you can build on with that and do it properly.
Siroki  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:58:16 AM(UTC)
Siroki

Man
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Ittaidv wrote:
Siroki wrote:

We also used them once as intercom, but they're not really good. We have headsets with some PTT button which you can wear around your finger, but that's not really convenient neither.

As for other radio communication: I don't think it's really good. If you listen to our intercom during a big broadcast, there's a lot of talking going on, and this is essential communication. You need full duplex for the cameramen, in order to talk back. Things like: i'm gonna change a battery, or 'my cable is stuck', are really important. PTT doesn't work for the cutters, neither for the cameramen, since they're mostly too busy. Also radio quality is never really clear, and leads to many misunderstandings, which cause the production to have stupid mistakes.

We also started with 0 euro on our bank account, so I understand the idea of 'going cheap'. That's why we bought those baofengs too in the first place. I think they were a good way to start out, but I'm glad we never went for solutions that were 'a little bit better then baofeng, but still bad' as a go in between. This would have cost a lot of money for things you will replace anyway in the end.

If you have a growing production, better keep it to the baofengs, and save up for a real intercom. On ebay you can have a 2 channel base station for 700 euro or less. Then you can build on with that and do it properly.

I agree but how I can see the main problem here for all of us is money :))