logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tesn  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 3:29:05 PM(UTC)
tesn

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Oh hey. We're 2/3 through our week long broadcast of the US Curling Nationals in Everett, WA.

We've been doing this for a number of years.

Here's a Facebook live video of me running the show:

https://www.facebook.com...videos/1214784178591108/

Lots of xKeys fun, triggers, replays, shuttlePro 2. Automation . . . etc. It's pretty much just me running the show.

We have a couple HD cameras and lots of SD cameras. . . and plan to switch over to full HD very soon. In the meantime we have to make do with what we have.

Follow along at http://usacurl.org

-Brian

TESN.US

edit: Here's an archive of all the games. Go to the later ones for better examples. :-) Takes a few practice games to get it going. http://www.teamusa.org/U...ships/Webstream-archives
tesn  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 3:39:10 PM(UTC)
tesn

Man

Also using a joystick . . .

NDI Monitor to watch one of my ptz cameras . . .

Playlists for in between games . . .

Lots of multiview splitscreens with live switching between them . . .

Green screen

Data sources pulling graphic info from a google spreadsheet . . .

etc.

etc.

(We love vMix!)
nashenden  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 7:24:45 PM(UTC)
nashenden

Whats the audio mix set-up you have there?
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 7:26:11 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ tesn

I'm always impressed with the work you do Brian!
Can you elaborate further on your set-up?
I see your commentators have headsets, can they hear themselves and/or you?
Were there any challenges there?
I realize resources are limited but I am curious to know the decision making process in choosing your camera angles?
It just seems that you are breaking the 180 rule every time you go to the overhead of the house.
You are following the rock in from behind (movement from bottom of screen to top) and then flip to the overhead where the rock is going from top to bottom.
I would be inclined to either follow in from the front or rotate the overhead 180 to maintain the directional flow.
Just my thoughts.
Overall I think you provide great coverage and it just seems to get better every year.

Ice
tesn  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 11:55:25 PM(UTC)
tesn

Man

IceStream wrote:
@ tesn

I'm always impressed with the work you do Brian!
Can you elaborate further on your set-up?
I see your commentators have headsets, can they hear themselves and/or you?
Were there any challenges there?
I realize resources are limited but I am curious to know the decision making process in choosing your camera angles?
It just seems that you are breaking the 180 rule every time you go to the overhead of the house.
You are following the rock in from behind (movement from bottom of screen to top) and then flip to the overhead where the rock is going from top to bottom.
I would be inclined to either follow in from the front or rotate the overhead 180 to maintain the directional flow.
Just my thoughts.
Overall I think you provide great coverage and it just seems to get better every year.

Ice

Thanks,

Yeah . . . announcers can hear themselves and me. Our one manned camera guy can hear me as well. We use an x32 for all the audio routing. We went with the software control so I could hotkey the switching of the player mics automatically.

The overheads for curling are always aligned that way. The logos in the ice are put in there so they can be read. We do switch around a lot. I think curlers are more used to it as most clubs have overheads aligned the same way.

We have a big investment coming so we'll be switching to all HD soon. The whole production should change . . . less graphics, more like a tv shot.

-Brian
tesn  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 12:11:11 AM(UTC)
tesn

Man

The white balance/mismatched cameras drive me insane for the record.

Hoping to fix that by the next event. :-)
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 10:04:02 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ tesn

So you are using professional broadcast communication headsets?
Or have you figured out a workaround?
I have given thought to conceive of an affordable workaround with consumer products but have yet to actually try it, either way, I suspect it requires additional hardware (analog mixer) as the digital delay is too unsettling for announcers to hear themselves from the Program feed.
I guess I am just curious about your workflow and audio routing and how complex or simple (and affordable) it might be for small vMix oppperations.

Ice
tesn  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 12:56:03 PM(UTC)
tesn

Man

IceStream wrote:
@ tesn

So you are using professional broadcast communication headsets?
Or have you figured out a workaround?
I have given thought to conceive of an affordable workaround with consumer products but have yet to actually try it, either way, I suspect it requires additional hardware (analog mixer) as the digital delay is too unsettling for announcers to hear themselves from the Program feed.
I guess I am just curious about your workflow and audio routing and how complex or simple (and affordable) it might be for small vMix oppperations.

Ice

Yeah, we have 3 Sennheiser HMD-280's going into talentpods. The talent pods let them hear themselves. The x32 lets them hear sound from the computer but not themselves in an echo.

-Brian
TESNJoe  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:55:30 PM(UTC)
TESNJoe

My business partner (Brian) is pretty modest.. He runs the show and does so with about 200 buttons. We love xkeys. He figured out how to use scripts to manage our scoreboard operations. Our entire open was done using one button (videos, audio, titles, etc.).

This year we had a sideline reporter. He was great but our mic kept cutting out. We need a better handheld solution as sometimes our interviewer is 100+ ft away.

Also our lav mics probably need replacing. They cut out when players move around.

We need to figure out a couple of things for future events... maybe the community here has some answers.

1) We need a audio delay solution for when players (or announcers) swear.
2) We have a request to figure out a way to use green screen tech to embed logos on the ice. Here's the problem... because some of our cameras pan, the place when the logo should be moves on the screen. How can we lock the logo to a position on the ice so that the logo moves with the camera?

IceStream  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:16:57 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ TESNJoe

There is likely an affordable solution to #1 but unfortunately, the technology behind #2 is fairly expensive...
A workaround might be to associate certain camera position pre-sets with an overlay that disappears when the cam moves.
Great job though guys!

Ice