logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ittaidv  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:03:08 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Groups: Registered
Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
6 channel audio recording would be great: we now have to make a complex setup to record all our audio channels, since vmix downmixes everything to stereo.

The way we do it now: send all audio over sdi in 6 channels, record with the blackmagic software on another pc.

Especially when working for tv channels, they often request these kinds of files, with mixdown on master, ambi mics on A and the PA sound on B. Also when working with commentators in different languages, this is often requested. Panning left and right is an option, but you can't always do this.

Mathijs  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:44:45 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
+1 This is also a big plus because it enables the recording of some separate tracks to be able to repair audio fuckups.
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:52:42 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
+ 1

Anything that adds more professional features to vMix is always a plus in my books.

Ice
Ittaidv  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:47:43 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Mathijs wrote:
+1 This is also a big plus because it enables the recording of some separate tracks to be able to repair audio fuckups.

Biggest fuckup was when I mistakenly thought vmix already had this feature, but didn't test it. So i recorded MAB on 1 stereo track and had unusable audio because 2 commentators in 2 languages were talking on 1 stereo track both left and right :) Had to request the tv channel audio in order to fix it :D
isbenz  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 1:55:06 PM(UTC)
isbenz

I'll +1 on that too. Being able to use multichannel audio seamlessly in and out of vMix would be just sweet
h2video.nl  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 4:32:50 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
+1 but... what will you do with it?

i also make a backup on my cameras left right times 3 cams = 6 tracks if need to. then in post i can select a track if needed.

but what would you need the 6 tracks for, how is it used. now if ever i need the audio i load in my vmix recording, synchronise with the master tracks and then do an audio mix.

i guess adding the audio track directly from vmix as you can now with recording a seperate audio wave file would be handy. then the audio quality should also be good. so you would need hogher bit rates, etc. and the ability to start and stop audio recording seperately from the video recording and record all incoming inputs or at least 3 - you would have to be able to select the input to record, seperately from inputs for the mix and maybe some inouts only left or right because you only have 6 tracks...

oops, maybe a little bit more discussion needed here, interesting request.

stefan
Ittaidv  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 11:17:39 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

h2video.nl wrote:
+1 but... what will you do with it?

i also make a backup on my cameras left right times 3 cams = 6 tracks if need to. then in post i can select a track if needed.

but what would you need the 6 tracks for, how is it used. now if ever i need the audio i load in my vmix recording, synchronise with the master tracks and then do an audio mix.

i guess adding the audio track directly from vmix as you can now with recording a seperate audio wave file would be handy. then the audio quality should also be good. so you would need hogher bit rates, etc. and the ability to start and stop audio recording seperately from the video recording and record all incoming inputs or at least 3 - you would have to be able to select the input to record, seperately from inputs for the mix and maybe some inouts only left or right because you only have 6 tracks...

oops, maybe a little bit more discussion needed here, interesting request.

stefan

It's just easier to have 1 file which contains everything. Sometimes jobs last a full day, so imagine we would record stuff on cams. The file management all day would be horrible. It would be a full time job for someone to collect cards everywhere, and cards would need to be swapped during breaks all the time. Renaming, organizing,..

Having the option to record all tracks seperatly would indeed already be a good idea: we always fight with dj's who want to use their recorder and try to pull out our cables from the mixer. If we can say: no problem, after your set we give you a wav file, that would be great :)

Still, for tv jobs requirments are often: Dnxhd or prores file with 6 channels audio. For example: Commentator 1, commentator 2 and PA + ambi mics mix, each on a channel.

Now this requires external outputs to be used and lots of recorders and machines to keep an eye on.

I know this kinds of jobs are not usually done with vmix, but it works really well for it. So why not build it into a tool that rivals a tricaster. So after the show you can pull out the ssd, say to the tv guy very proud: "here you have 1 recording with graphics and 6 channels audio, another with no graphics and stereo and an iso of a wide shot". Instead of making him wait 2 hours for you to copy all the disks of the AJA recorder or a seperate machine to the computer first, then rename everything and deliver :)

Or if you are recording a concert and you are sitting too close to the speakers to monitor audio well: just load 1 file into premiere, check all channels visually, correct a few mistakes (clipping mic for example) if needed and export it. Instead of having to load 7 files, think again which file was what, and spend hours on that.

Also for archiving: 1 file on the server that contains everything you need.. If you need to change something a few months later, you will be happy it's just one file and not a full folder with all kinds of files, codecs,..

h2video.nl  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 4, 2017 1:44:05 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
i don't disaggree, I am +1

but thinking of implementation in vmix, it is easier said than done.

6 tracks? which ones? how to select them in vmix. start stop 6 or more multitrack recordings... just thining along for easy implementation.

would multi wave audio recordings of all inputs be a good starting point, maybe easy to implement. not 6 track but 5,6,6 seperate camera wave files start stopped at the same time for easy sinking....

i see the benefits. so lets see what Martin would come up with as easy fixes, we already have master wave, and thats a big plus, so maybe we could have more of that Multicorder wave files of inputs.

stefan
Ittaidv  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 4, 2017 5:41:09 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

I think you misunderstand. It would be M on channel 1&2, A on 3&4 and B on 5&6. Or eventally MAB on 1&2, M on 3&4, A on 5&6 and B on 7&8. All in one file, selectable in the recording tab.
exibitom  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 5:22:14 AM(UTC)
exibitom

+1 That would be great. It will be a game changer in instant replay where you need 2 audio channel for international sound and 4 for commentators
admin  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 7:17:44 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Ittaidv wrote:
I think you misunderstand. It would be M on channel 1&2, A on 3&4 and B on 5&6. Or eventally MAB on 1&2, M on 3&4, A on 5&6 and B on 7&8. All in one file, selectable in the recording tab.

What you describe is available in vMix 18 and higher, documentation below:

http://www.vmix.com/help...OutputAudioChannels.html

Only limitation at the moment is SDI inputs will be downmixed to stereo for each channel at the moment according to the Channel Mixer:

http://www.vmix.com/help18/AudioSettings.html

However, if you have ASIO compatible sources these can be added independently to vMix and routed to M,A and B as needed.