logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jimmy-DTG  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 1:04:41 PM(UTC)
Jimmy-DTG

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
We've been evaluating vMix for having a solution to do custom titling with some simple playout options and so far we love what we see. The custom XAML titles are excellent and I've had great success in experimenting with them. The one thing we have to have is a key+fill external output so that we can provide our signal to another production company doing live cameras. From everything I've read in the manuals, vMix can't do that right now. Is that correct? I know CasparCG can do it, but I'm trying to stay away from Caspar as I've got 4-5 people who need to use the solution and Caspar is just going to be too complicated. We looked at mimoLive and it can do key+fill out, but we like the vMix titling solution much better and we're a Windows-only company right now so introducing Mac's wouldn't be a great option.

Is there any word on when vMix would be able to send ARGB to an Ultrastudio 4k (or Decklink) and enable the external keyer on those devices?

Thanks!!
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 1:20:35 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Why not inverting workflow?

Instead of outputting from vMix to other switcher, do other switcher to vMix...

Unless you need video+titles on beamer with no latency, it's a great solution...

You can also work with a green background under your titles. I guess your other switcher can auto remove chroma
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 1:33:19 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Another option (which needs to be confirmed 'cos I never tested it myself) is to output titles with NDI so that NDI Connect can use your card with alpha support. On the paper it should work, after tweaking vMix in Advanced settings to allow argb on NDI.
Jimmy-DTG  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 1:58:22 PM(UTC)
Jimmy-DTG

Yes I saw that NDI Connect Pro can technically do it, but you do apparently need the pro. So to drop $1000 on that would defeat the whole value of vMix to us. We can't flip the workflow as we're handing off graphics and some content to another company who mixes the entire show/event with multiple cameras.
DWAM  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 3:02:02 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Chroma ?
ZachSchuster  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 4:21:50 PM(UTC)
ZachSchuster

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
NDI Connect Pro can be purchased as a monthly subscription for $50/month. https://store.newtek.com/ip/connectpro.html

Big question is if vMix's program out will recognize just the title and respect transparency, or if it will will output the black monitor background with it.

EDIT: DWAM already alluded to tweaking settings to allow alpha on output.
Jimmy-DTG  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 5:55:19 PM(UTC)
Jimmy-DTG

All of our custom display apps that we use currently (would migrate many to a XAML title based 'app') simply have a background that can be chroma-keyed out and they run full screen and we just output the desktop via HDMI. We're specifically looking to move a lot of that to Key+Fill so that we can do some additional things (proper transparency, animation).

I do see the subscription model on NDI Connect, so that might be an option for 95% of what we do where the latency isn't an issue. We will with a running time clock for a lot of events that is always running to the tenth of a second and latency due to a delay or dropped frames isn't good.
Thremir  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2017 8:12:56 AM(UTC)
Thremir

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I wanted to do this myself, but it became more of an inconvenience when I found out that the NDI self-detect is disabled for NDI Connect Pro, which means that you will have to use vMix and NDI Connect Pro on two separate computers
Jimmy-DTG  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2017 10:28:20 AM(UTC)
Jimmy-DTG

Ugh, that would explain why when I tried it real quick yesterday I could get the NDI Monitor to see the feed but not NDI Connect.

If vMix can output ARGB already, then I don't think it would take too much extra to enable the External Keyer switch when talking to DeckLink/Ultrastudio's. I would put mimoLive as the closest competitor to vMix, both price and feature-wise, and they've got it. Really hope it's on the feature list for v19.
Jimmy-DTG  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 5:11:56 AM(UTC)
Jimmy-DTG

So I found this same feature request from 4 years ago: https://forums.vmix.com/...t.aspx?g=posts&t=630

Martin - any update on making this dream come true? Everything in our testing is going absolutely perfect, even down to embedding TCP servers in the Properties window of the custom XAML controls (scoreboard clocks getting updates every 1/10 of a second). We're already planning on buying several licenses, but the icing on the cake would be able to set the external keying so that vMix is controlling pre-made content playout and graphics and an ATEM is handling the final mixing with the cameras (or we can hand-off the playout+graphics to another company).

Thanks!!
thanks 1 user thanked Jimmy-DTG for this useful post.
Thremir on 2/14/2017(UTC)
Thremir  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:56:14 PM(UTC)
Thremir

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I second this for sure, would expand the capabilities of vMix a lot