logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
droza  
#21 Posted : Saturday, April 1, 2017 4:22:05 AM(UTC)
droza

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1 for live LUT support.
DWAM  
#22 Posted : Saturday, April 1, 2017 4:59:08 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Thanks Droza

the point here with X-Rite is precisely not to go for LUTS which do not provide color matching by default (unless you always use the same camera models in your setup)
droza  
#23 Posted : Saturday, April 1, 2017 10:22:50 AM(UTC)
droza

Yeah, I understood that - I am personally more interested in seeing live LUTs support. In that sense, sorry for hijacking the thread... I saw some suggesting LUTs support earlier in the thread and just wanted to add my +1 to that idea.

I would see LUTs support and X-Rite as complementary, rather than either/or, and would certainly love to see your suggestion regarding some sort of automatic X-Rite calibration as well. I would be interested in LUTs support for different reasons - LOG, different looks, etc., more than for color matching two cameras, where your suggestion of X-Rite would be the best solution, I think. So, +1 to that too. :)
DWAM  
#24 Posted : Saturday, April 1, 2017 10:28:40 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

No offense, not a big deal. Just wanted to make sure you do not confuse.
avsoundguy  
#25 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 3:07:48 AM(UTC)
avsoundguy

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
+1
Cormac  
#26 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 5:35:11 AM(UTC)
Cormac

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
+1 some form of auto or semi manual camera matching assistance would be a great leap forward . Martin and his team watch the forums and if enough people ask for a new feature it starts to go up their schedule.
sinc747  
#27 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 12:59:38 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
+1
JimJacobs  
#28 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 1:05:45 PM(UTC)
JimJacobs

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
+1
h2video.nl  
#29 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 3:45:21 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
This is an interesting thread.

i was one of the first to buy the color checker video when it was released in Holland, and to use it in fcpx together with the ground control app in fcpx for a one click match.

time spend colorgrading vimeo

its typical use is for pre adjustment on raw ungraded inputs, like log input, very flat. in combination with luts for a base grade and finally a looks grading.

the color checker is only of use when the checker is used under representative lighting, like in a studio and the color lighting will not change much in a scene. In live situations and long duration shooting a color checker will not be of much use ( do you want to run on the stage to put it up for the cameras to see?)

What I use the color checker for now is to calibrate cameras and set color profiles to match so I dont have to spend time on grading in post much. I would not know how to use the checker in live productions? other than tuning the cameras before.

an option to consider would be a solution in vmix that would match live camera inputs and tune the spectra to be similar. This could be done to assign a master camera input and have the rest of the inputs follow this profile to match. it could be triggered with a button, so if lighting is changed, the inputs could be adjusted based on the reference camera input. ( you could even set up avseperate camera with representative lighting and pointed at a reference card like the checker, but would this help?)

I also find that the bigest problem in live recordings is that you can not really test the real lighting conditions before. basically light is made for the stage and audience and not for the video recording. similar for the audio input i get: i hardly get broadcast quality feed and usually prepare to just get the audio off one of the speakers, since the audio is mixed on the ear...

so, interesting topic. we should focus first on the aim, matching camera input feed and later on the means to get there. For now my best results are using exact similar cameras with exact similar settings, color temp, framerate, etc. so matched on the source level. so if i want to make a change in vmix i want to do it on all camera inputs to match...

makes sense? ( remember: vmix is a software mixer with a variety of users and user levels, from studio to live, indoors and outdoors, for churches and sports...) we should focus on a simple easy to use solution that would help most of the users, a one click easy match that could benefit the first time users ascwell as experienced users. the pros might end up considering upgrading to hardware based expensive stuff.

stefan
corporatejames  
#30 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 7:13:18 PM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
+1
Nick Davidson  
#31 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 9:58:19 PM(UTC)
Nick Davidson

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
+1 if the pro industry is going to take vMIx seriously, some of the basic industry tools such as wave forms and scopes should be added.
kricher1964  
#32 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 10:12:06 PM(UTC)
kricher1964

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 4 post(s)
+1
IceStream  
#33 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 12:21:43 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Nick Davidson

You should add your support for additional features in the appropriate threads:
https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=6208
https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=1242
And take note of what Martin states:

admin wrote:
Video analysis tools such as waveforms and vectorscopes are so technical, users almost need a video engineering degree to understand them!

Perhaps if you guys could discuss what readings you typically look for I can build some specific easy to use indicators.
For example, a simple RGB bar graph showing the relative weight of each colours intensity may be a easy alternative to a vectorscope.

One reason for this is performance, the rumblehouse sdk uses 60%+ CPU, so this would not be practical for vMix.
Simple indicators on the other hand might be easier to implement.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Ice
zenvideo  
#34 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 2:00:07 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
As someone else suggested in one of those threads, the addition of some sort of stand-alone video analysis/display could be a good application for NDI, in order to allow the software to run on a second PC/laptop, and so avoid any major extra CPU load on the main vMix PC. It could also be easily switchable between multiple NDI sources, from vMix or elsewhere (using NDI routing). Given the low cost of the Rumblehouse SDK, I might investigate further...

thanks 1 user thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
DWAM on 4/11/2017(UTC)
DWAM  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 5:25:52 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

I totally agree with Nick regarding the need for vMix to provide traditional AV tools to get interest from broadcast industry.
And as Zenvideo said, yes, NDI is certainly the way to go to avoid overloading vMix hosts.

However waveform and vector scopes can already be used with vMix. Many rack mount or field monitors will provide signal analysis. Many cameras also have this builtin too.

This being said, such features don't provide color matching. They are useful for camera settings, especially iris aperture, but when used with cameras that do not have remote control functionnality, their interest is purely for monitoring.

An alternative solution could be something like NDI Connect Pro which treats the signal while capturing (not on the camera). Never tried this though, not sure it is realtime and convenient.
jip  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 5:36:23 AM(UTC)
jip

Estonia

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
+1

Also for waveform and scopes!
DWAM  
#37 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:51:21 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

I'm working on a demonstration video showing the benefit of X-Rite for color matching in a multicam situation. I will publish it in a few days.

I will also reply to Martin's questions during last vMix fun time show aswell as showing results using a Lastolite calibration grey card with vMix autowhite balance.

@vMixTeam: while you're in Vegas, maybe you can pay X-Rite a visit. They're sharing the Atomos booth #C8925 in the Central Hall.

Have fun! Thanks

Guillaume
thanks 2 users thanked DWAM for this useful post.
mjgraves on 4/28/2017(UTC), Horbel on 5/7/2017(UTC)
Horbel  
#38 Posted : Sunday, May 7, 2017 5:35:36 AM(UTC)
Horbel

+1

The problem to solve is color matching different cameras and video feed sources. Auto white balance is a great first step, but most of the time it's not enough.

A live "AI" auto-matching system that use X-rite boards for adjusting not only RGB gains but a full lift/gamma/gain RGB LUT would be great !

I found this : http://colorlab.no/conte...22_GARCIACAPEL_PG119.pdf

Could be amazing for vMix Call on the field: the correspondent just need to show the card to the camera and in a split second vMix adjust the LUT to match the feed to te production.

One of the main selling point for profesionnal, expensive camera systems is the amount of image control and live CCU capabilites. If vMix become essentially a live grading tool with automation capabilities, it could overcome that. You can even imagine having the camera set to a flat (log) image profile to leave all the power to live grading.

What is IMHO important in video analysis scopes is to have a quantified, absolute measurement of things like black and white levels, to be sure the image will be OK on most devices and not just on the screen used to produce the show.

Hugo
daniel514  
#39 Posted : Friday, June 9, 2017 9:37:51 AM(UTC)
daniel514

Canada

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Yes X-rite color correction is the way to go for multi cams!

Often i use different brands of cams, no way to match with actual vMix color adjustments!

Best scenario would be to integrate to vMix some function to calibrate as in resolve, see demo:
DaVinci Resolve 12 - 48 Color Match Palette
Easy FAST ant extremely accurate!

Yes Martin 3D LUT is CPU intensive, but could be GPU acceptable!
I base this assumption in a quick test in Premiere Pro applying a 3Dlut do not affect CPU and about 5% of a GTX 660 for one 1080p video.
(i can do a more precise benchmark if you ask)

I dont know the coding of vMix but seems to me that you already apply 1D LUT as color adjustment through directx GPU accelerated?
Probably wont impact so much more to go full 3D LUT!

I know it's no easy task to integrate to vMix and frankly useless to beginner user, but to me vMix is a professional tool, such a function should put vMix in an even more high end rank and bring more professionals to use it!

Reffs:
luts-part-1-what-is-a-lut
Interesting open source project:
3d-luts-direct3d-opengl-applications

Daniel
thanks 1 user thanked daniel514 for this useful post.
DWAM on 6/24/2017(UTC)
RichShumaker  
#40 Posted : Saturday, June 24, 2017 4:56:59 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
+1

Martin on the Fun Time Live show mentioned something about doing this if we can show him a good reason or a usage case.
I am guessing that the coding for this is harder then we are saying it is or he would have just done it already.

The main thing for me is what everyone said above.
When you have mismatched cameras getting them set up to look matched is difficult and time consuming.
I DON'T know color so I am the wrong person to ask 'how would you do it?' as I don't know.

I just know that when I have a Panasonic and a GoPro, I white balance and they are 'close' but not really the same.
For my low end productions it is good enough except I think I would have an issue charging clients if I can't get the cameras closer in quality match wise.

Oh and if I was researching how to do this I would look at the companies that do color stuff all day like Davinci Resolve to see how people match cameras. Is there a piece of software that people use for live use that would color match the cameras? Maybe a plug in that we could add to vMix to allow us to just press a few buttons and have the cameras, automagically look the same?

Thanks for requesting this feature.

Rich Shumaker
thanks 1 user thanked RichShumaker for this useful post.
DWAM on 6/24/2017(UTC)