logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
niemi  
#21 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 5:59:43 AM(UTC)
niemi

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
mjgraves wrote:

The newer ones have the GTX1060.

Could you link to that particular GTX-1060 model? And do you know which CPU it comes with? Thanks.
mjgraves  
#22 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 1:04:36 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
All Airtops have the same custom motherboard, so it's the same i7-5775C CPU as the 2016 model. While a 5th Gen i7, it's still markedly faster than the current i7-6770HQ that's found in the Skull Canyon NUC.

The current version of the Airtop-G (Gaming model) includes the 1060.

Here are the detailed specs.

Make no mistake, this is going to cost me more than a tricked out Skull Canyon NUC, but it's going to be much more capable as well.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
niemi on 2/24/2017(UTC)
niemi  
#23 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 3:09:50 PM(UTC)
niemi

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Thanks mj,

I checked the specs and and under "FACE Module" it mentions the possibility of adding a Video capture card [FMVC] for up to 16 cameras.

Do you happen to know anything about it?

What capture card have you installed in your Airtop yourself?
mjgraves  
#24 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 3:59:20 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

First, I won't have my Airtop for a couple of weeks. The order just went in yesterday.

Second, the FACE modules were for initially offered for the IPC Series that predated the Airtop. On those very small systems it allowed you to configure the IO as you preferred.

You need to contact CompuLab about the nature of the FM-VC video capture card. It seems that it can be used with the Airtop.

However, it's only analog SD video, so that may not be all that useful. It requires customer DB-to-BNC cables to handling the video I/O. It looks like it's targeted at industrial & surveillance applications.

My plan is to put an HDMI capture card in the one available PCIe slot.
Speegs  
#25 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 11:57:25 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Airtop - miniPCIe [FMXTDM2] saw this as an option. Then this, http://www.magewell.com/pro-capture-mini-hdmi x 2

Wonder if they work together. I like the idea of the Airtop, pretty heavy machine however, so a high end laptop might be a better choice in many situations.

I take it if you add the nice NVIDIA graphics card there is no ROOM for a quad input capture card. So it's USB, capture devices.

A machine like the Airtop would really be nice with GTX 1060, Quad Capture Card, 2 extra Captures via miniPCIe, plus SSDs of course. Don't think that is possible on the unit but you can dream :)

If the NUC had a mobile GTX 1060 on the motherboard it would be a real beast. With NDI coming, capture might become a bunch easier. Trying to await the "birddog" type boxes before I jump into new systems.
mjgraves  
#26 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 1:15:00 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Speegs wrote:
Airtop - miniPCIe [FMXTDM2] saw this as an option. Then this, http://www.magewell.com/pro-capture-mini-hdmi x 2

That could be interesting.

Speegs wrote:
I take it if you add the nice NVIDIA graphics card there is no ROOM for a quad input capture card. So it's USB, capture devices.

Yes, that seems to be the case.

Speegs wrote:
A machine like the Airtop would really be nice with GTX 1060, Quad Capture Card, 2 extra Captures via miniPCIe, plus SSDs of course. Don't think that is possible on the unit but you can dream :)

Actually, I think that is possible. They offer the 1060 and two internal miniPCIe. Four 2.5" drive bays. The front panel supports their "FACE" modules. It would be relatively simple to make print any kind of FACE module you need, like multiple HDMI or BNC connectors.

What surprised me is the CPU performance. The 5th gen i7-5775C outperforms the current 7th gen i7-6770HQ.

Ok, it draws 65 watts vs 40 watts for the newer CPU....that's not a problem for me. It only underscores how Intel failed to even consider a fanless design in the NUC.

The i7-5775C will spin out of production at the end of this year. Or at least, CompuLab only assures availability of the current Airtop until the end of the year. I would hope that they will rev it to run a newer CPU in 2018.
mjgraves  
#27 Posted : Saturday, April 1, 2017 3:25:33 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

I received the Airtop earlier this week and just finished up using it with vMix 19 for our weekly VUC session. It handled the project easily. I never crest 50% of CPU, no matter how complicated a scene I tried. I had a 9-way multi-view going with two layers of DSK.

I put a webcam on the front to be able to key the power usage, which never topped 80 watts. Under routine use it hums along at around 30 watts.

By the time I added a 512 GB SSD, 16 GB of memory and Windows 10 Pro I had spent about $1400. That's more than a Skull Canyon NUC, but I have a lot more expandability. Also, it's fanless. No moving parts at all.

For example, there are two internal mini PCIe slots. I'm considering adding a USB 3.1C adapter and bringing the connector out to a custom FACE module.
mjgraves  
#28 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 10:56:22 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Here's a further observation of CPU performance between 5th gen and 7th gen Intel i7; current i7-7700K only beats the i7-5775C by 11%.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2539&cmp[]=2874
hellokitty  
#29 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 8:18:53 PM(UTC)
hellokitty

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
it says 4 4K displays,maybe at 30hz? I hooked up 3 4k display to my 1070 card and i could get 2 at 60 hz and the 3rd would only goto 24hz.
mjgraves  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:29:48 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

hellokitty wrote:
it says 4 4K displays,maybe at 30hz? I hooked up 3 4k display to my 1070 card and i could get 2 at 60 hz and the 3rd would only goto 24hz.

As I have only one 4K display I have no way to test this. Further, my Airtop has only a GTX750 Ti.
mjgraves  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 5:36:58 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

In a forum private message someone has asked about the configuration of the Airtop, and whether it might be possible to add a Thunderbolt card in support of an expansion chassis. what follows are my notes about the device, which I've been using since April.

The Airtop has Intel Iris Pro 6200 GPU on the motherboard, which has 2xHDMI and 1xDisplayPort.

It also has one, solitary 16X PCIe slot. In most versions the PCIe slot is occupied by an nVidia GPU. Mine has a GTX750Ti with 3 outputs. Newer models come with a GTX1060.

As far as I can tell, all Thunderbolt 3 interfaces are PCIe cards. The Desktop version of the Airtop leaves the PCIe slot unused. That means that if you can get by without the nVidia GPU, you could install a Thunderbolt 3 card and connect to an expansion chassis.

I suppose if you had such an expansion chassis, that would be where you installed the nVidia GPU. Not sure since I've never used such hardware.

There are some alternative ideas for video capture.

1. There are 2 mPCIe slots in the Airtop.

Magewell (and a few others) make mPCIe HDMI/SDI capture cards. Each mPCIE capture card is one input. These price the same as USB 3.0 capture dongles.

If going that route, you'd need to bring the connectors to the outside of the case. The Airtop supports what they call FACE modules. These are actually small daughter-boards that install to the motherboard, presenting ports to the front of the unit. The default FACE module is a 4x USB 2.0 jack.

If using mPCIe capture cards, I'd be inclined to craft a FACE module that offered the HDMI or SDI jacks on the front panel. There's plenty of space to allow the wiring inside the case.

2. The optional USB 3.0 FACE module includes a third mPCIe/mSATA slot.

The Airtop has a quad-core i7-5775C CPU clocked at 3.3 GHz and dissipating 65 watts. It's very capable, directly comparable to the more common i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz or i7-4790k @ 4 GHz.

There are 4x slots for 2.5" SATA drives. Also, 2x m.2 mSATA slots (not NVMe capable.)

The PSU is external, delivering 19 VDC. There are redundant PSU connections.

Power consumption is displayed on a front panel LCD. My unit cruises around 30 watts under normal desktop operation. Running vMix and a bunch of other things it can get up to 80 watts.

It need to be mounted vertically to ensure the convection airflow that keeps it cool. My unit does not show the CPU temperature on the front panel LCD, I gather that newer models do.

The case is not airtight or watertight. It opens and closes easily, with a small lock to hold it closed. Being all metal, it's hefty (15.4 pounds) for its size.

I hope this helps. It's easily the most impressive, fanless computer I've ever encountered. I prefer it to the Skull Canyon NUC for the industrial build quality and expansion opportunities.