logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
djevo1  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2016 6:46:29 PM(UTC)
djevo1

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I am posting this here to see how much interest in a hardware NDI capture solution there is. The company I work for has built some custom in-house NDI ingest units and want to see if anyone would be interested in purchasing them if they came for sale. They would be of similar size to newtek IP input module and have either 4-in, 4 out, or both. These machines would have the option to either connect to the network via ethernet or fiber optic cable.
ask  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2016 8:07:23 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Can you tell us more about their capability?
djevo1  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 11:36:04 AM(UTC)
djevo1

Yes it has very simple functionality, but we plan to expand it for our own use. Production units would have 4 SDI inputs or outputs, possibly capable of 4k when utilizing fiber. Would be priced much less than the newtek input module. It would have a web interface which would allow you to select input and output settings for the SDI connectors and also act as a hub for more input expansion later on.
pm  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 11:42:16 AM(UTC)
pm

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Sounds exciting!

Are there also plans for a one or probably a two channel version with HDMI inputs?

Because I'm looking for a solution converting the HDMI camera output to NDI as close to the camera as possible.

Regards,
Patrick
SportsNetUSA.net  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2016 9:55:00 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Since some folks have pre-ordered BirdDog Studio NDI device, there is interest in an NDI hardware capture product that can be delivered to the end users.

So far the BirdDog unit hasn't been released. Perhaps your company can get a device to the marketplace before they do.
djevo1  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 1:58:25 PM(UTC)
djevo1

It is possible for us to do so. As far as similarity to birddog it has the same base function but in our case it fills more of a role as a video snake. What we have is essentially the same size as the newtek input unit so it can be placed closer to your camera ins, but is not meant to be like the blackmagic fiber converters. It may be possible to bring this to market quickly, but it would have to have a good pre-order size. I would estimate it would take a month before we can start selling these.

In regards to a version with HDMI inputs I have been exploring this and it may be an option to have however it would limit the capabilities of the device. We may do a quad HDMI out version first, but we can definitely talk about a custom package as well.

The nice thing about these units as compared to the birddog is that they are futureproof. We can actually provide DIY upgrade kits if there are new capture technologies or better network technologies.
doggy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 2:22:42 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
A single hdmi input to NDI would be super usable outdoors

Guy
r@wisla  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 4:06:36 PM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Two questions, djevo1.

Is it going to be Windows PC based solution or sth else?
Could it be battery powered?

In my opinion device like this should provide also a talkbalk solution using NDI protocol.
djevo1  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 7:21:08 PM(UTC)
djevo1

It is not windows based, it is a custom embedded OS we had developed of a linux distro. As I said before, our primary use for it is as a snake to carry all of our camera signals over a ethernet/fiber. It wouldn't be something you could attach to the back of a camera. However it is very low power draw so in theory yes you could.
-TA_  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 8:34:00 AM(UTC)
-TA_

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
doggy wrote:

Guy

+1 for this if somebody could produce that
xaver  
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:00:09 PM(UTC)
xaver

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 32 post(s)
doggy wrote:

Guy

I'm also interested in a HDMI to NDI Converter
+10000
SportsNetUSA.net  
#12 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:50:15 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
@djevo1

I think you would have a product that end users would be interested in buying. Since there are HDMI to SDI converters available from BlackMagic, AJA, and several other companies, bringing your company's 4 SDI input/output to the market first sounds as if it would be a good strategy.

Many users are looking to expand, and bring in multiple cameras through one device. Keep us updated as to what you and your company decide to do.
Speegs  
#13 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2016 6:27:43 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I'd be interested with more details being provided like a picture so I can visualise it's size, details about weight etc.. I also am awaiting the Birddog I pre-ordered. I'm intending to buy more Birddog units after I've tested my first one. If it ever arrives.

I take Vmix Laptops and fly to many jobs (about half). Ideally I'd like to carry my kit in a 7KG carry on allowance. With the exception of some cables and things I have done ahead of time. With minimal setup time of only an hour at times and sometimes not even seeing the location until I arrive so a snake that uplinks a bunch of cameras via a cat5e sounds great to me. So does the Birddog unit, which is why I pre-ordered one right away even though I hate the idea of giving money out before a product has been tested.

KJ4AWR  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2016 12:24:01 PM(UTC)
KJ4AWR

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Single HDMI to NDI would be excellent. I have cameras that are too far from each other to make use of a multi input device.
DWAM  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 1:58:49 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
+1
Also waiting for solutions allowing to connect cameras (HDMI and SDI) to switchers via NDI.
Single converters like Bird-dog are obvious but multiple entries as a stage box for instance is also very interesting (especially if used with 10Gbit Ethernet over USB 3.1 adaptors for instance).

At the moment I sometimes use laptops with BMD Ultrastudio boards to do the job when needed. It's functional but expensive.
I also use vMix as a global NDI video router hub to transport the signals to other vMixes depending on the production needs (one for streaming recording, another one for local display on big screens with video projectors). It would be great to have a real NDI video router with at least 8 inputs to share the signals over multiple switchers. A 10Gbit board enclosed in such a router would be great also.
digitalalps  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 4:33:37 PM(UTC)
digitalalps

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You mean a device like that?

http://www.bird-dog.tv

ovinas  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 4:51:20 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Vaporware
zenvideo  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 6:58:53 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
DWAM wrote:
It would be great to have a real NDI video router with at least 8 inputs to share the signals over multiple switchers.

Low-resource/low-latency NDI Matrix Router/Switches are certainly possible using the routing features in NDI v2. I created a 6x2 switch during the Christmas break (picture attached) and it works really well for switching in the NDI domain. The concept is easily scalable to virtually any number of inputs/outputs, and it will run on any PC that supports NDI.
zenvideo attached the following image(s):
NDIRouter6x2.gif (199kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
kane  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 11:54:42 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
That's pretty cool.

I'll mention that a router isn't needed for the same functionally as a traditional SDI video router, as you can share NDI sources directly right over the network. But I can see uses where you might want to have some control upstream where you can determine what NDI sources are sent into NDI inputs on the other end of a connection.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
DWAM  
#20 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 7:58:23 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Yes I understand the concept of a NDI router is quite a non-sense considering the nature of NDI distribution.

BTW as I said some sort of a "stage box" inside the venue on which you connect all your cameras is interesting, it would allow to transport all the signals to an OBvan outside for example over fiber or 10Gbit ethernet. A good option would be if it could also transport intercom signals and tallys.

I guess it could be more interesting to buy a dedicated NDI "router" than to buy multiple capture cards for several PCs

So far I have also deployed such a config based on 3 vMix

- the 1st one receives all the SDI signals (5 cameras) and converts them into NDI
it also is used as a simple "CCU" solution (basic color correction) and a multi recorder (4 out of 5 cameras are recorded)

- the 2nd vmix selects some of the NDI sources to do the main switching for streaming/recording

- the 3rd vmix selects some of the NDI sources to do a different switching for videoprojector inside the venue and TV monitors on stage

vmix 2 and 3 can also simultaneously receive NDI signals from a laptop for powerpoint and videos which are perfectly in sync

This worked pretty well even if I was a little worried by bandwidth usage (being only on a gigabit network). The only issue was delay for the videoprojector. The very good points were upstream color correction, ease of use and flexibility.

@Kane : yes it could be useful to select what to send to a return monitor on stage for example : slides or videos or clock or cameras... Also to operate easily a multi source video wall...

@zenvideo : is this software available? Could I test it?