logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2016 10:24:36 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Before I report this to Magewell, anyone else that has experienced the same?

I am using vMix 17.0.0.107, Windows 10 updated to recent, Magewell USB dongles latest firmware 1.4.17 (tried with both old plastic and new metallic). Confirmed on a number of my PC's. Prior to Anniversary update they worked just fine. After, they stutter (like reduced frame rate, 10-15 fps).

Also noted:
- VLC crash if I try to use XI100DUSB-HDMI driver.
- The driver has moved from "Sound, video, and game controllers" to "Imaging devices".

(Have I mentioned that I am so fed up with how Microsoft manage their Windows updates?)
AElli  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2016 11:49:39 AM(UTC)
AElli

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
(Have I mentioned that I am so fed up with how Microsoft manage their Windows updates?)

Simple solution, restrict windows updates by activating metered connection...

http://www.groovypost.co...e-windows-10-data-usage/

A.
zenvideo  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:14:37 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:
Also noted:
- VLC crash if I try to use XI100DUSB-HDMI driver.duced frame rate, 10-15 fps).
- The driver has moved from "Sound, video, and game controllers" to "Imaging devices".

Note that:
a) Due to the fact that the Magewell USB3 dongles (eg XI100DUSB-HDMI) are UVC devices (USB Video Class), the "driver" is that provided by Microsoft when used on Windows.
b) UVC devices always appear as Imaging Devices, so the Magewell dongles have never appeared as "Sound, video, and game controllers", unlike the other Magewell capture devices which use a driver from Magewell.

As such, it would appear that the problem has been introduced by Microsoft's new driver, something out of Magewell's control.

I've not experienced this problem as yet, so my only suggestion - if you've not tried it already - would be to try both types of the firmware, Bulk & Iso, in case one works where the other doesn't. You can see a video of how to do this with the Dongle Helper utility on YouTube.
thanks 3 users thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
ask on 9/21/2016(UTC), richardgatarski on 9/21/2016(UTC), sinc747 on 9/21/2016(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 7:28:29 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Thanks zenvideo for your comments! Excellent video about the DongleHelper, and I looooved the music :)

I guessed from the beginning that this issue had something to do with the other similar problem related to the Microsofts new UVC driver. Discussed in vMix, Win10, Skype - no vMix input during calls? (resolved) and Webcam Users: Beware Windows 10 Anniversary Update!.I finally tried the registry fix thet mjgraves posted about. That made the video smooth again.

Microsofts new driver might be out of Magewell's control. Or maybe they can do something in the firware to work better with the new driver. Magewell's support have e-mailed me:
Quote:
We had tested dongle, vMix 17.0.0.107, CaptureExpress on Windows 10 ver 1607. They all worked fine.
On the pass, VLC alwayse crashed when we use it whether on Win 10, or on other windows version.
We aren't sure the reason about VLC.

On a side note, on my PC's (Win8 or Win10)neither the video shown by CaptureExpress nor DongleHelper is "fine". The video has sort of reduced frame rate (steady stuttering). In vMix and Vegas Movie Studio the video is smooth (if fix applied on Windows 10 Anniversary).

And sorry, yes "UVC devices always appear as Imaging Devices". My bad, in Windows 8 I saw the Magewell audio driver there, the video driver is indeed under Imaging devices.
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2016 5:33:51 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Seems the problem did not go away after the registry fix. Tried today on another PC, no luck there. Then tried again on the PC I thought I fixet, and it stutters there too. Guess I have to wait for Microsoft to patch together their mess.

One thing is for sure, Windows 10 is by far the worst thing that have happened to my business :(
Might be good for consumers who only use Facebook, but for the rest of us - it's a mess.
corporatejames  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2016 5:41:43 AM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:
Seems the problem did not go away after the registry fix. Tried today on another PC, no luck there. Then tried again on the PC I thought I fixet, and it stutters there too. Guess I have to wait for Microsoft to patch together their mess.

One thing is for sure, Windows 10 is by far the worst thing that have happened to my business :(
Might be good for consumers who only use Facebook, but for the rest of us - it's a mess.

Could not agree more @richardgatarski. Every time they update something else breaks something else but they expect the hardware or software vendor to update
their stuff in stead of fixing the fault they created.
AElli  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2016 4:21:43 PM(UTC)
AElli

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Agree completely. I know Martin has very valid reasons why Vmix can't be ported to Linux, but I'd love to see a Linux release.

A.
Ittaidv  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2016 5:42:52 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Had major problems with this anniversary update as well. I could undo the update and now set my ethernet to metered with a registry hack.

If you want to keep the update, you can also boot into developer mode, so you can install unsigned drivers again.