logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wkrasley  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 9:16:24 PM(UTC)
wkrasley

Groups: Registered

How do you stop Windows 10 from updating? Every week when I come to start my program, all the settings have changed and I can't do my show. NEED HELP!!
GeorgeR  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 10:48:46 PM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Man

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)
wkrasley wrote:
How do you stop Windows 10 from updating? Every week when I come to start my program, all the settings have changed and I can't do my show. NEED HELP!!

Turn automatic updating on or off.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-automatic-updating-on-off#turn-automatic-updating-on-off=windows-10

~George
Mathijs  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:11:41 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Just turn the service off.

Quote:
You can do this using the Windows Update service. Via Control Panel > Administrative Tools, you can access Services. In the Services window, scroll down to Windows Update and turn off the process. To turn it off, right-click on the process, click on Properties and select Disabled. That will take care of Windows Updates not being installed on your machine.
NiBTour  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:39:23 AM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
wkrasley wrote:

You can also (and its the only true way to keep it off as well as a bunch of other background resource hungry and data hungry services and apps) is to go to Settings | Network | Advance Options and turn the active connection to a metered connection. this way it will also wait until you allow it to download updates and it will also give you the opportunity to pick and chose. Its great for your streaming server as well.

-King
wkrasley  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 10:26:08 AM(UTC)
wkrasley

Thanks for your replies. Last night when I started VMix, I got a pop-up that said I needed to update my Blackmagic drivers. I tried to stop it and lost everything. I had to re-install the desktop video drivers and then update them before I got VMix to work. About 2 weeks ago Windows updated and I lost the onboard sound card. This was the way I got the audio from the studio to VMix and also the sound out to the transmitter. Everything worked good. That is all gone. There were sound drivers for the Blackmagic cards that were never there before. Took forever to get them configured right to input the sound to VMix and then send it the audio to the transmitter. It seams that almost everytime I turn the computer back on that something has changed. I even went back to the Windows 7 computer and all those drivers were changed and the onboard sound card was gone. I pulled out so much hair, I am almost bald. I am a Windows tech and am really starting to HATE Microsoft!
We also use an old Tricaster and a New Tricaster Mini and they do not update. Somehow they have disabled any and all updates (I hate using the Tricaster. I can't do the green screen stuff like I do with VMix).
Thanks for your help.
-Wynn
NiBTour  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:05:15 PM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
wkrasley wrote:
Thanks for your replies. Last night when I started VMix, I got a pop-up that said I needed to update my Blackmagic drivers. I tried to stop it and lost everything. I had to re-install the desktop video drivers and then update them before I got VMix to work. About 2 weeks ago Windows updated and I lost the onboard sound card. This was the way I got the audio from the studio to VMix and also the sound out to the transmitter. Everything worked good. That is all gone. There were sound drivers for the Blackmagic cards that were never there before. Took forever to get them configured right to input the sound to VMix and then send it the audio to the transmitter. It seams that almost everytime I turn the computer back on that something has changed. I even went back to the Windows 7 computer and all those drivers were changed and the onboard sound card was gone. I pulled out so much hair, I am almost bald. I am a Windows tech and am really starting to HATE Microsoft!
We also use an old Tricaster and a New Tricaster Mini and they do not update. Somehow they have disabled any and all updates (I hate using the Tricaster. I can't do the green screen stuff like I do with VMix).
Thanks for your help.
-Wynn

Wow I've never had that big of a problem...you know baldness. I kid ;) anyway do what I explained a day not only will the updates stop you'll also use next to null of data unless you specifically requested it. The trick is make it a metered connection.
mjgraves  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 2:47:33 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I've not had any problems with Windows updates, but I have had problems with BMD drivers. At one point their updated drivers conflicted with my AMD video card.

I had such trouble that I abandoned my Intensity Pro cards in favor of stuff from AVER Media.

A friend asked me about this as well. I recommended him to Magewell HDMI-USB interfaces. However, he had two of them fail in a very short period of time.
grantcoll  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 6:56:30 PM(UTC)
grantcoll

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Its a bit worrying, as Microsoft keep changing things, and it is all ridiculous. They make it impossible to turn off updates, and then give us links to uninstall updates just installed. So they don't have confidence in the product, but they expect us to.

The Metered settings work now, but once they realise everyone is doing it, they will change something to stop us doing that next.

What is the answer ? I don't know. What would be good if vmix could provide a Windows Update test and verify for vmix software. Ie tell us what Windows Updates have been verified with vmix software. Being the developers, they probably have a professional test regime, and are best placed to carry out testing.
Ittaidv  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:21:08 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I always do it via the registry, where i set ethernet, wifi and the other adapters to metered. If you do it via disabling the updates process, you risk that you can't update drivers from device manager anymore.
kdvberg  
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2017 1:44:45 PM(UTC)
kdvberg

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
If you are running 10 Pro you can do this via group policy editor

Run GPEDIT.msc

Then work through the tree - Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update

Then look for "Configure Automatic Updates"

Edit the policy setting and click Disabled

If you enable the policy you can have it notify you like in the past. I used to do that but then the full screen popups started that forced me to respond before I could do anything else so I just disabled the policy. Has not bothered me since then.