logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dark_ata  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2016 4:56:58 PM(UTC)
dark_ata

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
" The AW-HE130 and AW-HE40 cameras become recognisable on the LAN as NDI video sources"

Great news

http://www.redsharknews.com/ip-video/item/3528-panasonic-ptz-cameras-join-newtek%E2%80%99s-ndi
admin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2016 10:00:37 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
At first glance it looks that way, but reading the press release in detail reveals this is just using the h264 IP stream on the Panasonic
and plugging it into NDI Connect Pro on a PC or Laptop to convert it to NDI.

You could skip that step entirely by adding the IP stream directly to vMix using Add Input -> Stream which we have tested with the AW-HE40
(And also use the built in NDI conversion in vMix to use it also as an NDI source elsewhere!)

Regards,

Martin
vMix
ask  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2016 3:32:24 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Martin, do you have any insight into this line from the release? "JVC has bridged its complete product line of professional cameras with the NDI protocol"
admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2016 5:00:39 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
"bridged" as in using NDI Connect to bridge all of their products into the NDI world!

thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
ask on 6/3/2016(UTC)
kane  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2016 8:30:43 AM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Just to be clear it has to be Connect Pro for the IP input support, the free version of Connect doesn't offer IP input.

You are correct, both the JVC and Panasonic announcements are to take their IP output and convert it into NDI. It does allow for a 'full IP workflow', but it isn't NDI directly out of the camera.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
thanks 1 user thanked kane for this useful post.
ask on 6/3/2016(UTC)
sinc747  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 3, 2016 4:09:26 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Wonder if JVC and Panasonic are supplying a Connect Pro license with the cameras.

If not, then anything is NDI compatible, just buy a Tricaster to connect it to!

- Tom
Speegs  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 4, 2016 12:13:26 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)

That's a disappointment. You need a computer to act as a converter. Might as well get a Bird Dog thingo and an SDI or HDMI PTZ then.

You don't want a PTZ with lag. They are not fun to control. After reading the headline I feel so ripped off :)

- Speegs
thanks 1 user thanked Speegs for this useful post.
seb666 on 9/23/2017(UTC)
AElli  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 2:47:51 PM(UTC)
AElli

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Tom, no need for a C/Pro license ! You could grab the h264 stream with VLC, then feed it to Vmix using the VLC NDI plugin.

A.
mjgraves  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 3:53:13 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
This is very confusing. If the manufacturer has implemented NDI in the device there should be no need for NDI Connect Pro.

If it requires NDI Connect Pro then it's unclear that they did anything at all to foster working with NDI. Perhaps it's just an opportunity for press release?

Newtek might appreciate such opportunities as giving the appearance of momentum building for NDI.
AElli  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 5:24:13 PM(UTC)
AElli

You might be correct, when NDI was first released a no. Of capture cards were deemed NDI compatible... BMD, magewell were a couple, of course what that transpires to is they can be seen by connect pro. Which is needed to create the NDI stream.

I think maybe the panny release is saying "NDI compatable" ie it can be seen by connect pro. Seeing Connect pro as "NDI" but at the same time, connect pro "isn't NDI" "we" however read NDI compatible to be direct NDI IP output from the device. Used by plugging into a simple router and distrubuted over the network.( no PC required) It depends on your take of "NDI compatible".... compatible, ie works with.

I'm not against it, and think NDI is a great solution and thank newtek for both creating it and releasing it as an open standard, it has already helped me do the things I never could before, and will prob. do more as time passes with the things I have not thought of yet. Mmaybe some companies see this as a creditable shift in video capture / routing and are being a little free with their current compatibility claims.

NEW. AElli release.... Logitech webcam c920 now NDI compatible.

* C920 output must be captured with VLC and output using VLC NDI plugin 😀

A.
mjgraves  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 9:39:47 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

AElli wrote:
NEW. AElli release.... Logitech webcam c920 now NDI compatible.

* C920 output must be captured with VLC and output using VLC NDI plugin 😀

A.

Logitech have themselves played this linguistic game, saying that the C920 & C930e are "USB 3.0 Ready." Of course, that's wholly farcical. USB 3.0 is backward compatible, so all USB 2.0 devices can be connected to a USB 3.0 port. That doesn't mean that a USB 2.0 camera can deliver a 1080p30 uncompressed stream when connected to a USB 3.0 port.

Perhaps the Panasonic camera is Direct Show compatible? That means that when USB-connected to a PC it's available to NDI Connect Pro. However, it does NOT mean that Panasonic has done anything like an on-device NDI implementation.
AElli  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2016 2:56:22 PM(UTC)
AElli

I thought the c920s were usb3 👎
Just shows i shouldn't always trust a blue USB plug.

Yes, i agree. I think that's the point well made,
A manufacturer should reference NDI compatible as NDI output from product, not via ancillary add-ons.

Im not sure the pannys are USB connected, I believe it's h264 in via network rj45 then bridged to NDI for distribution back out over same connection.

A.

( edited for auto spell check errors )
AElli  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2016 5:08:45 PM(UTC)
AElli

And today there more...
This time from blue fish, their capture cards are now NDI compatible...

http://blog.newtek.com/b...-newtek-ndi-integration/

It's a @#π√®¥\$ capture card, it has no networking ports it relies on software and the PC its connected to for its ability to stream over IP. Newtek please, stop this marketing madness,

Maybe,
Anouncing... my hand is now NDI compatible. All I need do is wave it in front of a video camera connected to a capture card, installed in a PC thats running connect pro and it's there over IP. Im so liking the idea of ndi capture and ip routing but REALLY, COME ON NOW..

A.

( agn edited for spell check errors )
thanks 1 user thanked AElli for this useful post.
sinc747 on 6/10/2016(UTC)
AElli  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2016 5:52:35 PM(UTC)
AElli

If anyone knows an answer,

I'm interested to know if a connect pro licence will enable me to grab & stream more than one feed. ie in the example above the bluefish cards run 4 video inputs. Will connect pro allow me to grab all four feeds as seperate source streams or is it one licence, one feed/stream ? and how many grabs before it maxes out ie if I had 2 decklink quad2 cards installed could I have 16 captures, outputting 16 seperate NDI source streams under one licence?

A.
kane  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2016 10:02:51 PM(UTC)
kane

NewTek Connect Pro allows up to 4 channels of NDI input or output per license. If you do have a multi-input capture card, they can all be addressed by Connect Pro. You can run one copy of Connect Pro on a system, it will not allow you to run multiple copies.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
mjgraves  
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2016 10:37:52 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

AElli wrote:
If anyone knows an answer,

I'm interested to know if a connect pro licence will enable me to grab & stream more than one feed. ie in the example above the bluefish cards run 4 video inputs. Will connect pro allow me to grab all four feeds as seperate source streams or is it one licence, one feed/stream ? and how many grabs before it maxes out ie if I had 2 decklink quad2 cards installed could I have 16 captures, outputting 16 seperate NDI source streams under one licence?

A.

16 NDI feeds from a single computer seems ambitious. Remember that a single 1080p stream requires around 100 mbps. If they were HD feeds that many would likely saturate a single gigabit NIC.
AElli  
#17 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2016 1:45:54 PM(UTC)
AElli

Thank you Kane for your answer.
I'm still a little confused though, saying 4 channels per licence, leads me to think for our 16 capture card in one PC scenario, Id need 4 c/pro licences for that one PC ? Is that even possible? ie, One licence one PC?
Now I'm thinking 16 feeds in that PC, but only 4 assignable to c/pro. Because licence limits = 4 feeds to a licence, one licence per PC. Is that correct

Mjgraves, yes I would agree, as you I'm aware of the limitations of the bandwidth restrictions, if I was seriously considering this Id install a couple NICs and run over managed networked switches, maybe even going 10gb fibre to connect the two endpoints. Although really it was a theoretical question to ascertain if a connect pro licence would have more benefits over a Vmix licence.

Im actually thinking an eight port card 6 ins, 2 outs for NDI. Running on a headless PC, which should be attainable. Although using Vmix simply as a NDI source router is a little wastefull in its abilities. But if my 1st question above proves correct and c/pro licence doesn't handle more than 4streams then.....
Unless maybe I run a 2nd VM on that PC ??????

A.

kane  
#18 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2016 7:59:52 PM(UTC)
kane

AElli wrote:
Thank you Kane for your answer.
I'm still a little confused though, saying 4 channels per licence, leads me to think for our 16 capture card in one PC scenario, Id need 4 c/pro licences for that one PC ? Is that even possible? ie, One licence one PC?
Now I'm thinking 16 feeds in that PC, but only 4 assignable to c/pro. Because licence limits = 4 feeds to a licence, one licence per PC. Is that correct

You can run one instance of Connect Pro on a system, trying to run a second instance tell you that Connect Pro is already running.
Each install of Connect Pro needs its own license key.
Connect Pro can support up to 4 feeds using supported capture cards, like a BMD, Magewell or Matrox quad input cards, those ones are that NDI compatible. ;)

While I understand the idea of building one big powerful system to do it all, the idea with Connect Pro was to use a smaller less powerful system to handle the inputs. Realize that an input might be used by multiple applications (a switcher, NDI monitor and NDI IsoRecorder for example), so with 4 inputs you shouldn't have issues getting that all to work on a gigabit network, even if some of the inputs are used more than just 1 to 1. Trying to do things like link aggregation or VMs is going to make something that should be simple, complex.
AElli  
#19 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 2:27:52 PM(UTC)
AElli

Thanks Kane, my apologies if im appearing to give ndi a hard stance..

Im understanding the philosophy of NDI moreso, I do currently use NDI as originally intended sending 3or4 feeds around a network for ISOrecord of camera feeds and desktop capture of presenters laptops, maybe a feed back to the odd monitor etc, and have used it to move Skype feeds around. I find it an incredible solution and thank you guys for giving it to us, but...
I was hoping to use it beyond that.

One venue where a "stage" is approx 175ft from the "production area" and having upto 6 camera inputs & embedded audio mix, with a projector and "stage monitor" fed back by return, gives 8x 200ft SDI cable runs. I was hoping to replace them with 1 (or 2) cat6 network runs by utilising a capture PC one end, and a vmix switching PC the other, connected using ndi and hoping this would give me "the" solution.

agn thnx for the info.

A.
sinc747  
#20 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 6:50:39 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
On next week's Streaming Idiots I am announcing a new NDI App that we have been developing called NDI Leash. Using this cutting edge tech/app I will connect my Jack Russell Terrier and he will be "NDI Compatible." Take a drink.