logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
desmar  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 10:21:52 PM(UTC)
desmar

Groups: Registered
Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Coming soon..... vMix Controller for Windows

Ok folks some of you ask for a virtual controller for Vmix that runs in Windows...

Started working on this today and hoping to have a beta ready in the next couple
of weeks ....

Only works in Windows 10 and up

JimJacobs  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 10:35:58 PM(UTC)
JimJacobs

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Needs more than 12 I puts. I suggest 16-18. Possibly make 4 of the assignable to any active Input in the session
admin  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 11:22:12 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi guys,

Just a warning not to use the vMix logo in this way in 3rd party products.
The reason is programs like "vMix Scheduler" have created support headaches for us where users assume it is our product and that we can provide technical support for it.

So instead, come up with a unique name with your own logo. On your web site you can promote it as working with vMix
but please do not use our logo or include it in the name.

Thanks,

Martin
Bandit62  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2016 6:06:59 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

This is good, but you have 12 inputs, and Jim is asking for more...I would suggest, not to make a fixed number, but have the control surface so it will add the buttons as inputs are added, so that there will not be more buttons than is actually needed....I see this as much better than a fixed number. 12 is a good number to start, but for me personally, I prefer 8, and add as the inputs are added....I used Vidblaster, and that is how theirs work, this will avoid the clutter on the monitor.....This is just from observation of other similar software...I hope this can be resized by the user, as I see others have a fixed size.
I would also suggest using white buttons rather than so much colour, and change to either 'Yellow' or Green' when selected, and 'Red' when active, the same way all control surfaces work....this will be much easier to read in both daylight as well as night.....I also like the idea of dedicated function buttons....it helps to keep things simple....I like this control surface.....and am ready to beta test as soon as it is ready....
desmar  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2016 9:16:20 AM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Thanks Martin, you're right, sorry about that, never thought about using your logo in the design
as it would created support headaches and confuse consumers, logo will be removed immediately.

As per buttons they will be white, they are all in their "ON" colors. easier for screen layout and
programming purposes...

- 32 Program, Preview, Overlay inputs
- 4 Overlay inputs
- 16 Talk back
- 16 Tally Lights
- 4 Programmable Functions
- 4 DSK
- 2 Stinger
- Stream , Record, Full Screen, External Screen Functions

etc...
Bandit62  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2016 11:56:06 PM(UTC)

Now this is a bit over done...32 buttons.....why not leave it at 12, or make it 8 buttons, and let the program add more buttons as more inputs are added.....in that way, the users who only have 4 to 8 inputs would not have to worry about so many unused buttons......I think 32 is way too much....
JimJacobs  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 12:37:31 AM(UTC)
JimJacobs

I totally disagree with Bandit62. I think 32 is the right # here but I see no reason for the Tally and Talkback section. That should be reserved for the same 32 inputs as the OVERLAY channel. Also unless I'm wrong, and I don't think I am...VMix does not have DSK...it has overlays...but not both so that appears to be the same thing to me..duplicated. Also how do you do a simple CUT....is that your intention with TAKE? I suggest you move the FTB button from near the TAKW button....too close....to easy to hit it if using a touchscreen or with mouse. Should have to double tap or confirm FTB. Let me know when it's ready and I'll beta for you. I produce over 100 live events per year so I think I can give you some good, real world feedback on this.
desmar  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 2:01:29 AM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

I am still tweaking layout of control surface...

- Had 12 input's, users were saying 12 is not enough.

- Having inputs adjusted automatically for the number of inputs added in vMix is not
feasible due to screen real estate and programming. vMix does not return the
number of added inputs, or how many inputs are supported by which version of vMix user
currently have, API does not return number of added inputs... (easier said than done)

Video Window

Input Switching - 32 Program, Preview and Overlay buttons in traditional crosspoint layout for input control

DSK - 4 Downstream Keyer buttons to activate Overlays

Transitions - 2 transition buttons to control vMix configured transitions including Cut, Fade,
Zoom, Wipe, Slide, Fly, CrossZoom, FlyRotate, Cube and CubeZoom. Take button for quick cuts.

T-Bar - Smooth motion t-bar for clean transitions.

Function Keys - 4 User assignable functions keys for automation through vMix Shortcuts.

Overlay - 4 User selectable overlay button to change assigned input for overlay use...

Moved to Audio Window

- Reason for Talk back button is in our productions, we use them to talk to (camera operators,
talent, and production crew etc...)

- Reason for Tally light we use them in our productions to turn on light to notify talent, guest, and audience.
(eg. on air indicators, which camera is on talent, commercial breaks etc....)
Bandit62  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 7:05:04 AM(UTC)

Then I have a suggestion...make a 12 input and a 32 input.....I certainly would not have use for 32 inputs, since if I had video clips, I would make a list, and I do similar with title overlays.....I seldom have more than 4 cameras, so for me, that would be a waste...neither would I want 'Talkback',since I already have wireless intercom .....What can be done with the 'Tally", is to have that function work with the output, and activated in a 'Settings' setup, for those who do not need it.....
JimJacobs  
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 11:55:35 AM(UTC)
JimJacobs

I'm with Bandit62 on Tally and Talkback. We use ClearCom units for this in all our productions, which 90% of people do that are doing serious production and I see no way to interface that with this. My opinion remains this product should focus 110% on controlling the assets of VMix...nothing else. A preview/program out window for confidence purposes only is a great idea. I'd make it undockable so it could be pushed to a second non-touch monitor if desired. Otherwise, I think you're definitely headed in the right direction here.....GOID LUCK....can't wait to try it out.
dstocker  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2016 11:05:08 PM(UTC)
dstocker

We do a lot of online only production at the moment, integrated talkback would be much better than having to use voice banana as currently when running 3 skype calls on mix minus + individual talkbacks.
Keep the talkback.
Ed Tech  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 7:05:25 AM(UTC)
Ed Tech

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
+1 for having an integrated talk back. Clear Coms are great both wired and wireless. An integrated talkback would be great for our school set up.

Thanks
desmar  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 8:57:08 AM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Currently use TeamSpeak 3 for Talkback

--- Not everyone can afford to by the Clear Coms units.
--- Almost everybody own or has access to Cell Phone, Tablets,
and Computers with headsets.

Talkback feature will be integrated with TeamSpeak 3

Crystal Clear Cross-Platform
Voice Communication

Key Features

Unmatched Voice Quality and Low Latency
Voice Data Encryption
Public-Private Key Authentication
Multi-Server Connectivity
Customizable Server & Client
Mobile-device support for Android and iOS

https://www.teamspeak.com/teamspeak3
thanks 1 user thanked desmar for this useful post.
al4video on 12/13/2016(UTC)
JimJacobs  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 9:09:03 PM(UTC)
JimJacobs

Anybody that thinks TeamSpeak at its present configuration is a substitute for real wired or unwired talkback is dreaming. And what are you going to do when your camera op on the 50 yard line says his phone battery is dead in the 4th quarter? it's not my call, but talkback and tally in this application takes up screen real estate that needs to be used for things like imput overlay channels, etc. Again, my advice...make it about running vMix, not peripherals.
richardgatarski  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 7:40:46 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
JimJacobs wrote:
We use ClearCom units for this in all our productions, which 90% of people do that are doing serious production...Anybody that thinks TeamSpeak at its present configuration is a substitute for real wired or unwired talkback is dreaming. And what are you going to do when your camera op on the 50 yard line says his phone battery is dead in the 4th quarter? it's not my call, but talkback and tally in this application takes up screen real estate that needs to be used for things like imput overlay channels, etc. Again, my advice...make it about running vMix, not peripherals.

Jim,
What makes you think everybody produce with the same program format, ambitions, and budgets like you???

We do well over 100 productions with vMix every year, and for the majority we do not use any intercom. Sometimes we do, and then we use either a similar solution as TeamSpeak's, or an even simpler one-way WiFi solution. Both are very effective for our, and our customers needs.

I appreciate that you share your wishes and experiences, but not the way you go about bashing the rest of us.

Thanks.
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
al4video on 12/13/2016(UTC)
desmar  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 9:39:55 AM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

richardgatarski wrote:
JimJacobs wrote:
We use ClearCom units for this in all our productions, which 90% of people do that are doing serious production...Anybody that thinks TeamSpeak at its present configuration is a substitute for real wired or unwired talkback is dreaming. And what are you going to do when your camera op on the 50 yard line says his phone battery is dead in the 4th quarter? it's not my call, but talkback and tally in this application takes up screen real estate that needs to be used for things like imput overlay channels, etc. Again, my advice...make it about running vMix, not peripherals.

Jim,

What makes you think everybody produce with the same program format, ambitions, and budgets like you???

We do well over 100 productions with vMix every year, and for the majority we do not use any intercom. Sometimes we do, and then we use either a similar solution as TeamSpeak's, or an even simpler one-way WiFi solution. Both are very effective for our, and our customers needs.

I appreciate that you share your wishes and experiences, but not the way you go about bashing the rest of us.

Thanks.

First and for most, I am writing this software to help me in my productions JimJacobs, if you do not want to use the talk back or tally features then don't use them, it's that simple.

Secondly, you haven't even seen a beta of the software and haven't even been released already and you are already bashing it.

I couldn't care less if you even use the software I am developing.

Maybe i should just keep it to myself and not release it.

Bandit62  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:30:35 AM(UTC)

People always do that....have not seen or use something, but speak as if they know all about it.....my suggestions are made because I know not everyone has a large production setup, and from my personal usage, and others who may be in my position, would also say the same......I understand the 32 keys situation, as a lot of users of vMix have large scale productions, some needingly so, and others do because they do not understand a lot about vMix, so they may have an input for each and every clip....But, to bash a piece of software without seeing it, and actually using it, is just silly and very negative......
I hope you will not let this disturb you, and lets have a beta so we can test, give you feedbacks, because we really need some more options, and from what you have published so far, it looks like a very good piece of software.......and now that you have explained why you integrated these features, I can see where you are going with this software.....keep the good work up, and do not let anyone get under your skin.......

Thank you....
Ed Tech  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:04:31 AM(UTC)
Ed Tech

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Desmar,

One more vote for you to do it. If you haven't heard the story of vMix you should know that Martin decided to create vMix because he wanted to help his church at Christmas. It started for the small guy and has grown....but there are still an abundance of us small guys. My junior high school is dreaming bigger....with vMix, but we are working without any coms and sounds like we would love what you have in mind.

Keep going....
desmar  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:59:45 PM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Still working on Video portion of UI, coming slowly but surely..

- Color Area Surrounding Buttons for functions will be customizable but pressing the
ALT key + Area Surrounding Buttons for functions.. via color picker....
(no separate setup screen).

- All programmable or Preview Buttons, will be customizable but pressing the
ALT key + Button. (no separate setup screen).

- All programmable Titles, will be customizable but pressing the
ALT key + Titles. (no separate setup screen).

- Program and Preview Buttons will be customizable..
(all 32 Buttons will be customizable)

eg. Program Button 1 set to Input 437 then
Preview Button 1 will be set to Input 437

- Overlay 1, 2, 3 , 4 Titles and Buttons will be customizable..
(all 16 Buttons will be customizable)

eg. Overlay 1 Text set to "Scoreboard"
Overlay 1 Text 1 will "Display Scoreboard"

eg. Overlay 1 Button 1 set to Input 437 then
Overlay 1 Button 1 will select Input 437

- So a total of 48 inputs will be customizable
(32 for Program and 16 for Overlay)

- Functions Buttons will be customizable..
(all 4 Buttons will be customizable)

- Stinger 1, 2 Buttons will be customizable..

eg. Stinger 1 Button 1 set to Input 37 then
Stinger 1 Button 1 will select Input 37

- Preview of video assigned to Program, Preview,Overlay,
and Stingers Buttons will be available just by hovering
over button in Normal or Setup mode.

Once I figure how to implement NDI in software...
(not high priority at this time)...

- Export/Import Presets...

etc ......
desmar attached the following image(s):
Capture.PNG (155kb) downloaded 33 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Bandit62  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 4:32:10 PM(UTC)

I am seeing 3 or 4 versions of this controller.....the first for simple users, like me, a more advance controller for more advance users, and even more advance setups.....so, does this means that we will have a choice of controllers?...please say yes....hahahahaha......That would not be a bad idea ....more than one version of controllers.....I like the first one tho......with a 'T' bar rather than a left to right fader.....more traditional.....keep it coming buddy....we are watching and waiting ....

Thanks for sharing your ideas....

I also see another layout...where you can have the functions as tabs, just click on a tab to open a different setup panel....similar to how its done with TriCaster and similar....