logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pm  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:17:10 AM(UTC)
pm

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hi

I think there are two bugs assigning shortcuts to MIDI Controllers.

1) If I choose to use the MIDI Controller, the field "Value" does not appear. So I have no chance to specify the necessary parameters for the functions.

2) I tried to assign the Instant Replay Speed fader (function "ReplaySetSpeed") to a MIDI Controller fader. This is not working altough the same fader is working for controlling the master volume.

Regards,
Patrick
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:19:59 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I agree with Patrick
pm wrote:

I think there are two bugs assigning shortcuts to MIDI Controllers.
1) If I choose to use the MIDI Controller, the field "Value" does not appear. So I have no chance to specify the necessary parameters for the functions.

In my case I would for example like to on the nanKontrol2 be able to set the >> playback rate to 2.

pm wrote:

2) I tried to assign the Instant Replay Speed fader (function "ReplaySetSpeed") to a MIDI Controller fader. This is not working altough the same fader is working for controlling the master volume.

I think the same issue applies to other functions like SetZoom, SetPanX, etc.
admin  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 7:55:21 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi Patrick,

Try the SetRate function instead, assigning it to the replay input.
It will assign the speed based on the midi faders position.

For MIDI faders, the Value is automatically assigned for most functions.
If you want to specify the value, use a button instead that is programmed to be a MIDI Note instead of a MIDI Control Change.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 8:38:18 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

admin wrote:

Try the SetRate function instead, assigning it to the replay input.
It will assign the speed based on the midi faders position.

For a Video Input, f I try that on the Korg nanoKONTROL2 nothing happens when I move the fader. So perhaps that functionality is for Replay inputs only?

admin wrote:

For MIDI faders, the Value is automatically assigned for most functions.

Please let us know for which functions (ideally in the help file)

admin wrote:

If you want to specify the value, use a button instead that is programmed to be a MIDI Note instead of a MIDI Control Change.

How do I know that MIDI board have such buttons? (the nanoKONTROL2 has buttons, eg Marker/Set, but still no value field appears for it).
admin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 9:03:42 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I can confirm SetRate works for video inputs and the speed slider will move up and down as required,
but how "quickly" the speed takes effect depends on the video format and the decoder.

MOV tend to be better than say MP4 as MP4 uses DirectShow which doesnt do real time speed changes very well.

Any functions that have a numeric value can be assigned to a fader.

If the midi button is detected as "MIDIControlChange" it will work as a fader, adjusting the value automatically
If it is detected as "MIDINote" then it will work as a button, with Value entered manually if required.

Note sure on the nanoKONTROL2 but maybe it has a utility to change the button type, since it is pretty well a de-facto standard
that Control Change not be assigned to a button on all devices we have tested.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:07:10 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Thanks Martin,

Too bad we are stuck with mp4's. (When played with VLC speed changes are relativerly smooth).

I downloaded an editor from http://www.korg.com/us/p...ontrollers/nanokontrol2/

With it I was able to set a knob to work as a MIDINote, and get the Value field in the Shortcut settings (for relevant function). So now that issue is fixed.

I also tried the following. Used Korg's Editor to set one fader to work as MIDIControlChange from 0 to 5 (to control SetZoom), and another fader from 0 to 4 (to control SetRate).
Unfortunately that did not work. One issue is that this keyboard jumps discretely and only output 0,1,2,3,4 and 5. So no smooth changes, and forget setting Rate to "0.1". Another issue is that moving the fader set for SetZoom above the 1 level, just zooms waaay out - no in between zoom levels. And moving the fader set for SetRate does nothing.

Do you have any suggestions on what I can try next?
admin  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:16:03 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Don't change the values on the Korg, leave them 0 to 127. vMix scales this automatically to match the shortcut value range.
richardgatarski  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 10:25:26 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

admin wrote:
Don't change the values on the Korg, leave them 0 to 127. vMix scales this automatically to match the shortcut value range.

Well, that was the first thing I tried (with values 0 to 127). For SetRate nothing happens, and SetZoom, SetPan, etc gets crazy.
pm  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2016 7:32:37 AM(UTC)
pm

Will check SetRate behavior with my nanoKontrol2 and post the results...
thanks 1 user thanked pm for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 3/11/2016(UTC)
pm  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2016 5:59:00 PM(UTC)
pm

I checked today with the following results.

I assigned a SetRate shortcut to replay input. If I move the fader, the slider in the gui also moves. But only lower half way of the fader is working, giving values from 10% to 99%. If I move the fader in the upper half, nothing happens. Checked with nanoKontrol2. Same fader is working for master volume.

SetZoom is also working. The behavior there is that if the fader level is too low, the input shows the full frame again.

It sometimes happens that directly after loading a preset, moving a fader on the nanoKontrol2 brings the controller in a unresponsive state. Then you have to disable and enable the controller in MIDI settings. Could that be the cause that it isn't working in your setup?
stigaard  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2016 1:52:05 PM(UTC)
stigaard

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 79 post(s)
I've tried the same, with a AKAI MIDI controller, with the only result, that when set a shortcut on knob (MIDIControlChange as key), with the function SetRate on my Replay A input, it happens that when the velocity is zero (knob all the way to the left), the playback speed of the replay is set to 100%. Nothing happens on the "rest" of the velocity values on the knob.

I've tried to disable-enable the MIDI controller in the vMix settings. Any suggestions to fix this?
admin  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:20:31 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi,

In vMix go to Settings -> Shortcuts click Add then click Find.
From there move one of the fader or knobs and report back what values it is showing for "Velocity" as the control is moved.

All MIDI controls should have a range from 0-127 with 0 being at the bottom (for faders) or left most (for knobs) and 127
being at the top (for faders) and right most (for knobs).

Can you confirm this is the behaviour for the behringer?

Regards,

Martin
vMix
admin  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:40:11 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, I have taken a look at the diagram for that Behringer model and it seems the knobs are doing things a bit differently to most MIDI controllers out there.
(The two major manufacturers we have tested are Novation and AKAI, both of which work as expected in vMix)

You can confirm by following the steps on my previous post, but it appears the knobs on this controller
are just sending a single command for clockwise and a single command for anti-clockwise, rather than a fixed range between 0-127 which is needed to control the audio faders in vMix.

So what I think you are looking for is a shortcut function like "VolumeUp" and "VolumeDown" which move in increments.
However, in my opinion that is a cumbersome way of controlling audio and you are much better off using a midi controller with faders that send the 0-127 velocity range.

The pitch bend fader on the Behringer should work in this way so I would be curious to hear what values it shows when moving it in the Find window.
BETech  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:52:51 AM(UTC)
BETech

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Hi Martin, Appreciate your reply. Below are the snap shots from vMix & MidiOX. Hope this helps us in resolving the Midi CC issues. Thanks.

UserPostedImage
admin  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:57:01 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Thanks, this confirms these controls do not send a fixed velocity range from 0-127 and therefore cannot be used with vMix at this time.

At this stage, due to being busy with other projects there is no timeframe when we might be able to look at supporting these types of controls.
So if possible I would recommend looking at an AKAI or Novation MIDI controller instead.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
richardgatarski  
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 6:14:35 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

OK, good to know that the problem is found. I do very well understand why you can't fix now.
Just don't forget to update the Help file/s (and vMix feature specs) with this (hopefully temporary) limitation.
admin  
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 3, 2016 5:14:49 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi guys,

I have just added MIDI value support to shortcuts in the latest 17 beta (17.0.0.72)
There is now an optional tick box in the shortcut settings next to channel and note
allowing you to trigger the shortcut (and specify your own value) on a specific MIDI value.

You can also now use += and -= to increase/decrease volume so these two go together in the following way:

1. Use Find as normal to detect the MIDI control
2. Check the Value checkbox to enable that specific value
3. Shortcut Value down further can now be edited manually to specify something like +=5 to move the volume up 5 points
when the MIDI value in step 2 is encountered.

A new function called SetRateSlowMotion has also been added with a range between 0 and 100% instead of 400% for
the original SetRate, this will allow controlling the instant replay speed using MIDI with a wider range than before.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
BETech on 4/3/2016(UTC)
ne02005  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:38:40 PM(UTC)
ne02005

I can´t see that options "midi data types (0 to 127) with my Akai apc40 (not mk2)....

what can I do?

Thanks

Vmix version 17.0.0.106

BETech wrote:
Addendum: As already noted, some music manufacturers chose to use assign a static/absolute Midi value range (0-127) to their hardware rather than using the more popular and software friendly Midi incremental/relative value system. If the faders/sliders are of the motorized type then this method works well.

Changing the level parameters/values on the software is mirrored on the hardware (i.e. the faders/knobs move in sympathy with the software).

Where this Midi static/absolute value system (0-127) fails is when the software control level is not at the same level or position as on the hardware slider/knob/dial. For example, the audio level for Input 1 is displayed in the vMix software at 100%, but the hardware level for Input 1 is currently at 0%. Move the hardware Input 1 fader and immediately the audio will drop to reflect the current value from the hardware, which is 0%. With no sound initially, the operator reacts immediately and adjusts the level accordingly. This is why motorized fades/slider and knobs work so well, each are always the same in attitude and value.

The assumption must always be in software that the hardware device in use, is dumb. It only transmits the data from the hardware to the software. Not unlike a Television/VCR/DVD Player remote control, which uses the incremental/relative data system. For this reason, it is best to adjust the value parameters of a software fader/knob/dial using a hardware 360 degrees software fader/knob/dial. The hardware controller does not need to know the current software data value, but only to make the adjustment as a decrement (-) or increment (+). Audio too loud, decrement the volume. Wish to shuttle forward, slow-motion forward or jog forward, increment (+) the current media clip’s position. “Spin that Dial!

That being said, everyone has different workflows and hardware, the best solution is to provide a means of choice. That way vMix is compatible with all types of hardware either the Midi CC static value type (0-127) or the Midi CC incremental type (63 & 65) or (0 & 127). Below is a possible update of the ‘Shortcut’ interface which may reflect this concept.

UserPostedImage

ne02005  
#19 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2016 9:00:35 AM(UTC)
ne02005

Ok, I`ve read all the topics...

You mean the "+=2 or -=2" ??

Ok I`ll try it.

thanks

BETech wrote:
Hi ne2005. The image shown was part of the bug discussion in this thread, a proposal to include the feature you’re looking for dated back in April 2016. You need the read through the whole thread to understand the context of the what is written, discussed and the images presented.

Martin provided a simpler solution in the Post #24 Posted : Saturday, 2 April 2016 7:14:49 PM in this thread.

A graphical representation can be seen in Post #25 Posted : Sunday, 3 April 2016 3:04:32 AM in this thread.

This is what you should be seeing in vMix 17.0.0.106. All the best.