logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DiscipleDOC  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 12:14:09 PM(UTC)
DiscipleDOC

Groups: Registered
Man

Hi,
How do I receive phone calls through vMix? I would like to have people to call into my live broadcast and I am using vMix HD.

Thanks in advance.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 12:24:11 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Please search the forum before asking. This question has been asked and answered many times already

You'd already have had many solutions to try by now if you had made a little effort to search

Guillaume
TuesdaysLive  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 12:55:37 PM(UTC)
TuesdaysLive

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Actual Phone calls are outside the scope of vMix and the vMix Call capability.
You would need to use a third party capability to do that.
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 2:27:57 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I do this literally every week, and have done for about seven years.

First - you said "phone calls" so I presume that means you want your guests to be able to dial a normal phone number and reach you, with no other technical complexity. Ubiquitous, easy access.

My situation is a little different, since I allow anyone to join the show by telephone. Not just a single, planned guest.

I use a SIP soft phone installed on my vMix host. It connects to a conference service (http://www.zipdx.info.) The audio to/from the SIP soft phone is dealt with using the same mix-minus technique that people have long used to receive Skype into vMix.

My "guests" dial into the conference service and enter a conference code. They are then connected to my show.

To keep noise to a minimum, I set the conference service to keep everyone muted at first. So they are listen-only. They can unmute themselves by pressing *6 on the telephone keypad if they want to speak.

The conference service has access numbers in about 60 countries, which makes it easier to have guests connect from far-off locations. It can also call out to them, which is sometimes cheaper and more convenient.

The conference dashboard has a great set of controls for managing the participants connected by telephone. I think of it as the stage manager & green room.

If you only need a way to connect to a single guest by telephone, you may not need the conference service. Any SIP-based phone service (there are dozens, like Vonage, OnSIP, etc.) That would give you a phone number that you can bring into your vMix system.

As a practical matter, given typical billing models, it can be both cheaper and more scalable to use ZipDX.

Aside #1 - back in 2008 I interviewed the founder and CEO of ZipDX, which is how we met. He eventually sponsored our show, providing the ZipDX platform for our use which continues to this day.

Aside #2 - In 2013 ZipDX ended up hiring me.

Aside #3 - ZipDX supports wideband telephony (aka HDVoice,) which delivers far better audio quality. However, this post is already long enough.
thanks 2 users thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
stevespaw on 9/15/2018(UTC), Bamboo on 3/22/2020(UTC)
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 2:52:55 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
The old skool approach is to use a land-line and a telephone hybrid, like one of these. That presumes that you have rest of the Audio I/O to work it into your production.
michaelrb  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 11:13:28 AM(UTC)
michaelrb

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If you use a mixing board then a BlueDriver M3 from JK Audio might do the trick. It plugs into a mic input on your mixing board and pares with your phone via bluetooth. It;s a bit costly....in the $300 range .....I think. You can also use SKYPE and just import the audio. Need virtual cables to do this, but it works fine.