logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ben1000  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 5:39:56 PM(UTC)
ben1000

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Howdy... Just wanted to follow up with my recent post about Gsync vs Optimus laptops... I ran 2 identical tests with 3 NDI cameras feeding into 2 laptops... One was a 7th Gen 4 core gsync beast (actually the same laptop that was recommended by vMix) and the other was a newer 8th Gen 6 core Optimus system... I was looking at the CPU usage, and also the render frames. Both laptops have a full 1060 GPU. Here are 2 short videos with the results...

Gsync laptop:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZZzg9uDL4KeP2n8W8

and the Optimus Laptop:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sy8KivrqGxdZBENy6

Hope that provides some insight for those looking to purchase...

Best,

Ben

richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2018 10:27:38 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
To begin with, video is moving images (your cameras are more or less shooting still scenes). Then adding one or more fullscreens are kind of challenging for the hardware.
Furthermore, rendering time is one thing, another is smoothness in the monitors/previews/fullscreen...
ben1000  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2018 1:06:45 PM(UTC)
ben1000

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Wait.... Video is MOVING images? oooh! That explains why my clients are so unhappy :)

When it's uncompressed video coming into the display (from the BM device) I'm not sure moving vs still makes a lot of difference. Certainly does for compressed images, tho...

Martin had mentioned using several inputs, so that's why I had three inputs on there. Just a comparison between the two. Much of what I do is talking head, so we're not looking for action sports.

Smoothness of preview and fullscreen output doesn't bother me much as long as the stream/recorded videos are good. But of course, others may feel otherwise...

My only point throughout this is that Optiumus laptops are very capable machines, and while it'd be nice to go with a Gsync laptop (as I obviously have done with my other one), there may be reasons to go with an optimus machine, such as price, screen size, ports, weight, availability, etc.. and it may work just fine for your needs... Which is why vMix has a guide for using Optimus laptops, I suppose...

Best,

Ben