logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
grantcoll  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 3:16:51 AM(UTC)
grantcoll

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Can someone advise on the correct way to configure NDI Output settings.
I have HD version 20.0.0.55 and have NDI working fine, but I notice that when I watch the Ethernet usage on the PC, I can see a difference. By setting NDI as default in a receiving vmix, then the usage at the oututting vmix ethernet is 80Mbps to 110Mbps. If I click the Low bandwidth mode in the vmix that is receiving NDI, then the Ethernet usage drops to about 20Mbps.

When I look at the Settings in the vmix I am outputting NDI from, External Output, there are ticks in the streaming settings and the display setting, and not in external renderer. The frame rates and sizes are all greyed out. I don't know if this has anything to do with NDI or not.

Is NDI configurable at the output vmix ?

If I have the receiving computer right beside the outputting one, no problem as the cable will provide plenty. But if I have a remote scenario, and can't be sure of 100mbps+ then it would be good to say, have NDI at a medium bandwidth. The Low is too low.

Newtek show 3 levels of bandwidth in the Connect Spark adaptor: Low, Medium, High.

Thanks
Grant
ask  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 3:50:27 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Grant. a single NDI stream will use approx. 100mbps of bandwidth. That is by design. The low bandwidth mode is really only useful if you are transmitting static images such as powerpoint slide or as I do scoreboard images. As such, it works by reducing the frames sent. It is not suitable for typical moving images. The spark, uses NDI|HX which is a variant of NDI designed for hardware devices, and is much more heavily compressed. The low, medium and high settings on the Spark indicate the level of compression you are going to use.

In short, you need to think of a wired GB network for NDI, and only use wireless on a well designed ac network.

Please refer to the Newtek NDI site for some great reading re. this.
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 3:50:44 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
Can someone advise on the correct way to configure NDI Output settings.

There isn't. NDI is designed to output high quality signal and to be used with gigabit network infrastructure.

However, the bandwidth will vary regarding the receiving side's display/project resolution. If you use NDI Monitor for example, you can check this by changing the window size.

New vMix 21 (in Beta for now) offers an option to define resolutions for NDI outputs, consequently sort of answers your questions. However bandwidth is related to resolutions so you won't be able to produce a 1080p30 at 50 Mbits for example...

If the remote scenario you're referring to is not on the same local network (LAN) but rather over the internet, check dedicated services like:
- Medialooks
- NDI.Cloud

Newtek Connect Spark is not "pure NDI", it's NDI|HX, a totally different thing (based on Long GOP H.264 codec) that is not comparable to pure NDI in terms of quality and bandwidth.
Do not confuse between NDI and NDI|HX!

If you want to know more about NDI, everything is documented on Newtel website.

Guillaume
ask  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 3:52:04 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Guillaume....snap! LOL
livepad  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 4:34:22 AM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
ask wrote:
snip..... The low bandwidth mode is really only useful if you are transmitting static images such as powerpoint slide or as I do scoreboard images. As such, it works by reducing the frames sent. It is not suitable for typical moving images. ....snip

Just to clarify - the NDI Low Bandwidth mode is exactly the same frame rate as the high bandwidth. What is different is the image size - which is scaled down for the Low Bandwidth. The compression quality, frame rate, audio etc is the same - the only difference is a scaled down image size, and that is what yields a lower data rate.
thanks 1 user thanked livepad for this useful post.
ask on 5/7/2018(UTC)
grantcoll  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 9:56:09 AM(UTC)
grantcoll

Thanks guys. But now I have a new question. The NewTek Connect Spark HDMI is listed as being compatible with vmix, but it lists the protocol as NDI/HX and in the Q&A on the shopping site, bhphotovideo, people have answered that it is NDI|HX which is different to NDI.

If I bought one of these, would I have to install special HX drivers which I have read about on forums here before it will work ?

And if so, I have read that some people are having trouble with them in the latest vmix version. Is this a stable setup ? Ie vmix NDI output via NDI HX drivers to Newtek Connect Spark ?

DWAM  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 12:53:37 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
vmix NDI output via NDI HX drivers to Newtek Connect Spark ?

NDI|HX is for PTZ cams and Connect Spark devices only. No computer will be able to produce NDI|HX outputs

Basically NDI|HX is nothing more than a very low quality RTSP feed with extremely highly compressed H.264 codec, that is made compatible with the NDI protocol.
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
grantcoll on 5/7/2018(UTC)
grantcoll  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 4:31:08 PM(UTC)
grantcoll

Thanks for the comments all.

So, back to my original question, edited based on the information provided so far. Is there a way to get an NDI frame rate which can work on a bandwidth between 20Mbps and 80Mbps ?

To explain: The default full mode of NDI uses 80 to 110. Low bandwidth mode uses about 20Mbps. I know it is best to use wired gig capable connection, but when working out on a site, and we have to transmit video over distances, we use point to point wireless. Currently the choice is full mode, but the video is jumpy. Low bandwidth mode works, and is not bad, but low quality. It would be great if the NDI could work between 20 and 80Mbps. Is this possible ?
DWAM  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 4:48:39 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

We already replied this question and suggested that you go to Newtek website if you want more details about NDI.
It seems we've been very clear about this...
grantcoll  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2018 5:13:30 PM(UTC)
grantcoll

Sorry, you are right. And as I am working between vmix and vmix, the answer was provided, which is to wait for Version 21.
DWAM  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2018 3:11:16 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

You don't have to wait for vMix 21, it's already available and though it's only "beta" it's already perfectly reliable.