logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thewiz  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 7:44:22 AM(UTC)
thewiz

Groups: Registered

We have an application that only uses NDI as output. We typically use very wide (but not very tall) displays for presentation purposes, e.g. in ballrooms and such, across multiple projectors. Here we'd like to be able to output for instance 4096 wide by 1080 tall. However, I've found no way to specify width and height of output manually - there's only a dropdown with "common" formats.

Is this at all possible? I understand I could perhaps output full 4k size, and leetterbox off the bottom half. but that feels kinda wasteful in terms of bandwidth use and rendering performance.

JM
livepad  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2018 5:36:08 AM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
thewiz wrote:
We have an application that only uses NDI as output. We typically use very wide (but not very tall) displays for presentation purposes, e.g. in ballrooms and such, across multiple projectors. Here we'd like to be able to output for instance 4096 wide by 1080 tall. However, I've found no way to specify width and height of output manually - there's only a dropdown with "common" formats.

Is this at all possible? I understand I could perhaps output full 4k size, and leetterbox off the bottom half. but that feels kinda wasteful in terms of bandwidth use and rendering performance.

JM

NDI Itself is independent of Image dimensions, frame rate and aspect ratio, support all combinations.

Each individual NDI compatible app will have its own constraints, but NDI will support any size / shape natively.

thanks 1 user thanked livepad for this useful post.
thewiz on 3/24/2018(UTC)
thewiz  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2018 11:55:37 AM(UTC)
thewiz

That's what I assumed as far as NSI was concerned. So my question pertains more to if/how vMix supports non-standard dimensions.

-JM
livepad  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2018 3:30:40 PM(UTC)
livepad

thewiz wrote:
That's what I assumed as far as NSI was concerned. So my question pertains more to if/how vMix supports non-standard dimensions.

-JM

I suspect VMIX will accept any NDI dimension IN, but its NDI OUTs will be probably according the session dimensions.

it's very common for things like NDI ScanConverter to produce very unusual NDI frame sizes, and most NDI receiving apps will deal with that by fitting the incoming frames to whatever their internal canvas is set up, by letter boxing, pillarboxing etc

thewiz  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2018 3:59:06 PM(UTC)
thewiz

In my case, it is NDI out that is important. I want to optimize the NDI stream going to another external syste from vMix. In our case, that may often require a very wide aspet ratio (e.g. 4096x1080, or sometimes even wider if possible). So this is the area I would appreciate any suggestions on how to break out of the fixed set of output resolutions provided by vMix.

-JM
ask  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2018 8:18:29 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
To achieve this you will need the 4K or Pro edition. However output is constrained to a 16:9 ratio so you would also need to letterbox the image using a multiview. As this is a unique case I can't see the business case for the development team to change the standard behaviour of the tool.
livepad  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2018 5:29:41 AM(UTC)
livepad

thewiz wrote:
In my case, it is NDI out that is important. I want to optimize the NDI stream going to another external syste from vMix. In our case, that may often require a very wide aspet ratio (e.g. 4096x1080, or sometimes even wider if possible). So this is the area I would appreciate any suggestions on how to break out of the fixed set of output resolutions provided by vMix.

-JM

Sienna NDI Smart Processing Router will have a processing module for altering NDI stream geometry.
This could potentially be used to take a 4k 16x9 and crop to a wider aspect.

macgiver76  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 8:55:37 AM(UTC)
macgiver76

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You could try to pass the video in Resolume Arena 6.
Supports NDI inputs.
MikeBenke  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 10:54:32 AM(UTC)
MikeBenke

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Ask and ye shall receive... Panamation NDI

Fun, Fast, Flexible, FREE... 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

www.panamndi.com

[img][/img]
MikeBenke attached the following image(s):
PanamFlex.jpg (454kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
rowby  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 12:24:54 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Looked at www.panamndi.com

VERY NICE!