logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rowby  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 7:55:02 PM(UTC)
rowby

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hello Everybody

I’m bringing this up well-aware of my complete total ignorance of the NDI technologies.

I know that streaming video via NDI over a public network to a private NDI network may have challenges (although I see people are working on that), However it would be terrific if there was someway to do tiny pings via a public network to a private NDI enabled network.

These tiny, task-specific pings could be used, for example, to allow a Remote presenter to advance a PowerPoint slideshow from slide to slide in a remote vMix..And other simple tasks by people elsewhere in the world — during their Vmax call for example

Rowby

Update: for example a remote vMix Call user to be able to advance and otherwise control a PowerPoint presentation which is physically on a remote vMox hosted machine.

kane  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 9:18:27 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
rowby wrote:
Hello Everybody

I’m bringing this up well aware of my complete total ignorance of the NDI technologies.

I know that streaming video via NDI over a public network to a private NDI network may have challenges (although I see people are working on that), However it would be terrific if there was someway to do tiny pings via a public network to a private NDI enable network.

These tiny, task-specific pings could be used, for example, to allow a Remote presenter to advance a PowerPoint slideshow free m slide to slide...And other simple tasks by people elsewhere in the world — during their Vmax call for example l.

Rowby

NDI already has command support. For example, you can control the NewTek NVG1 or NewBlueFX via sending commands thru NDI. It certainly would be possible to have it do things like this... If someone wrote it.

It doesn't exist today, but there is nothing in NDI preventing it from existing.

For Internet transmission, the service would also need to support sending commands thru it. However, I guess you could use something like TeamViewer to perform control today over the Internet.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
thanks 1 user thanked kane for this useful post.
rowby on 3/16/2018(UTC)
livepad  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 6:41:29 AM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
kane wrote:
rowby wrote:
Hello Everybody

I’m bringing this up well aware of my complete total ignorance of the NDI technologies.

I know that streaming video via NDI over a public network to a private NDI network may have challenges (although I see people are working on that), However it would be terrific if there was someway to do tiny pings via a public network to a private NDI enable network.

These tiny, task-specific pings could be used, for example, to allow a Remote presenter to advance a PowerPoint slideshow free m slide to slide...And other simple tasks by people elsewhere in the world — during their Vmax call for example l.

Rowby

NDI already has command support. For example, you can control the NewTek NVG1 or NewBlueFX via sending commands thru NDI. It certainly would be possible to have it do things like this... If someone wrote it.

It doesn't exist today, but there is nothing in NDI preventing it from existing.

For Internet transmission, the service would also need to support sending commands thru it. However, I guess you could use something like TeamViewer to perform control today over the Internet.

Kane Peterson
NewTek

Sienna.Cloud for NDI now supports transport of arbitrary NDI metadata (for example PTZ Control) over its internet bridging between NDI Devices.

rowby  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 7:59:24 AM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi Kane and livepad,

This is good news. I think many vMix users would like the ability of remote vMix Call guests to be able to advance a PowerPoint slide hosted on the vMix computer. For example, a remote guest may have a PowerPoint that they want to use. They could send it to the vMix host person prior to the production -- and then remotely trigger via NDI over the public internet the various possible PowerPoint functions, such as next, previous, etc.

However I don’t dare make yet another feature request at this time.

But it’s good to know it’s possible in the future.

Let me know this... Is it theoretically possible for a remote vMix Call guest to show their own desktop via NDI? That I think would not be possible via NDI.

But I have no shame in asking stupid questions.

Thanks!
Rowby

kane  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 12:25:30 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
rowby wrote:

Let me know this... Is it theoretically possible for a remote vMix Call guest to show their own desktop via NDI? That I think would not be possible via NDI.

I've never used vMixCall myself, however as I understand it has access any webcam inputs available on the system. At least on a PC it would be possible to do this using NDI Scan Converter and NDI Transmit.

NDI Scan Converter (or vMix Desktop Capture) will take the users desktop and turn it into a NDI signal.

NDI Transmit will take a NDI signal and turn it into a virtual webcam, which would feed into your web browser and finally into vMixCall (or any other webcam application like Google Hangouts, Zoom, Skype for Business, etc).