logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Speegs  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 12:35:20 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hello,

Is there a simple way in a Vmix title (XAML File). To add data/reference a datasource in advance? As in not having to link the data source column by column one by one?

Such that you could design your XAML file to as a template.

Example:

Text="{Datasource.columnABC.value}"

Would be replaced the contents of ColumnABC for the current row selected in the datasource.

Code:

<mtl:TextBlockDesign FontStyle="Normal" FontWeight="Black" FontFamily="Prata" Fill="#FF000000" FontSize="52" Stroke="#FF808080" TextAlignment="Right" StrokeThickness="1" Text="{Datasource.columnABC.value}" x:Name="FieldName" Width="1051.76470588235" Height="741.326659854693" Margin="450,300,0,0" HorizontalAlignment="Left" VerticalAlignment="Top" Effect="{x:Null}" Visibility="Visible" Panel.ZIndex="2" InputMethod.IsInputMethodEnabled="True" />

Then when you load this XAML file, open the correctly named datasource it injects columnABC's data.

Thanks.
doggy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 6:09:31 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
Some sort of a +1 in case of it being able to call the data of an idividual cell with an API command.

I do know what a pain it is to link a lot of datasource items in a title but when you save it as a preset you don't have to do it again ;-)

while i believe it is technically possible i am not so convinced of the overall practicality; one stil has to make sure the datatable is the right one ( by name or order and structure ) and last second corrections would not be possible anymore ( say spellingmistakes in the source provided to you).

been debating this myself lately too and i keep comming back to being able to retreive them though an api call (source row x, cell y) as i don't like the collums to rows really

its just me but then i prefer a purposly build title which read the tables/sources themselves outside of vMix and include filers, criteria etc

Speegs  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 9:54:04 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I have many columns and 3 different Vmix computers, I would be re-using a set format over and over again. My presets often change greatly as my venues change, so being able to have a title that would be consentant and connect to a datasource (which is very easy to add if lost). Makes sense to me.

Otherwise the data source feature is kind of half the job only if you can't get the data in a reliable way. Then it comes back to loading another program/complex script to parse and populate via the Web API. Which is also a rather large hassle having to rely on an extra helper program to do all that.

Seems to me special variables should be able to exist in Vmix Titles to quickly address datasource columns. Surely it builds something like that when linking via the GUI (not visible to the user currently), so makes sense you could use $DatasourceVar.ColumnName or similar to spit out the contents. Or event {Col0} - {Col1} etc..

So close, yet so far with it missing. There may be a special way of doing it, but I don't know how if it exists already.

If it stores the information in the "Preset" (Most likely an XML File) maybe that could be studied for a clue. Will look at that.

Cool you can have all the data, not cool you can't build templates that can use it. The present way largely assumes you would never share your template with another operator and sucks if you just want a title pre-linked and not the "entire project" to load with all it's otherwise good or bad settings for your next project.

I edit XAML with a text editor, never could get Blend working well (don't like it either is awful and overly complex). The Vmix Titler program is very bad, so just knowing what code to drop into a XAML file to access the datasource info would be excellent. The Datasource feature is good, takes in many formats. Just doesn't have a template engine from what I can see (or does it and I don't know how to use it).
doggy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 10:39:55 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 920 time(s) in 759 post(s)
but in the mean time can you not save one such title in a preset and later append it on one of the other computers? (haven't tested transfer to other computer)