logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mjgraves  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2018 1:38:11 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
If you've been hanging around here a while you may have seen me mention my Airtop-PC. It's a small, fanless, completely passively cooled workstation that includes an i7 and nVidia GTX card. Mine is the first-generation Airtop with an i7-5775C and GTX 750 Ti.It's been a great host for vMix.

Compulab, the company behind the Airtops, is about to launch the next generation design that they're calling "Airtop2 Inferno." This model features an i7-7700K and GTX1080. It's been reworked to support NVMe storage and dissipate higher power.

If you need a rugged vMix host this would be a great choice. It's being launched as a Kickstarter project on 2/24.

https://fit-iot.com/web/

https://www.phoronix.com...CompuLab-Airtop2-Inferno

Ittaidv  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 26, 2018 4:37:10 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
https://www.facebook.com...videos/1572182682878171/

Linus talked about them earlier. Intersting concept, I just wonder how to connect capture cards to it. An external thunderbolt chassis, kills the whole idea of a small portable unit.

A bit in the same league, is the x299 mini itx motherboard from asrock. At 444$, it's not too expensive, but the small form factor makes that it only has 1 x16 slot.

Perhaps these kinds of machines make good NDI only Vmix machines possible :)
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 27, 2018 12:04:17 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
There are times when a capture card is not required. When a limited number of inputs are required USB capture dongles are quite practical.

Some have used Intel NUCs previously, the Skull Canyon NUC being the most potent in the past. However, the embedded graphics have been their weakest attribute. Airtop's have a real nVideo GPU, making them better suited to vMix.

NUCs usually have laptop CPUs, whereas the Airtops have more powerful desktop CPUs. They also have a lot more I/O and storage possibilities. For example, 4-2.5" hard drive bays and 2-3 slots for NVMe SSD storage.