logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
guztavo  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 4:52:03 PM(UTC)
guztavo

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi there!
I'm here because i want to ask... now i have a i7 system that works with 2 BMD Mini recorder to get 2 HDMI cameras. I want to upgrade my capabilities (more camera distance, and camera quantity), and i have a second i7 PC avaiable (for free) with an integrated GPU (intel). The point, i want to move the BMD mini recorder to that second PC to use it as a NDI capture box in stadium, and work over LAN with this two NDI sources, leaving resources (CPU/GPU/PCIe ports) from the first PC. That allows me to add a new mini recorder to get a 3rd camera (and optionally another one to get a 4th camera).
I usually use 2 cameras with 2 video delays and the 4 overlay channels, streaming and recording at 720p (40% CPU usage), and want to start doing it at 1080p.
What do you think? Remember that the 2nd i7 is free for me.
Thanks in advance.
WayneH  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2018 10:35:53 AM(UTC)
WayneH

guztavo wrote:
Hi there!
I'm here because i want to ask... now i have a i7 system that works with 2 BMD Mini recorder to get 2 HDMI cameras. I want to upgrade my capabilities (more camera distance, and camera quantity), and i have a second i7 PC avaiable (for free) with an integrated GPU (intel). The point, i want to move the BMD mini recorder to that second PC to use it as a NDI capture box in stadium, and work over LAN with this two NDI sources, leaving resources (CPU/GPU/PCIe ports) from the first PC. That allows me to add a new mini recorder to get a 3rd camera (and optionally another one to get a 4th camera).
I usually use 2 cameras with 2 video delays and the 4 overlay channels, streaming and recording at 720p (40% CPU usage), and want to start doing it at 1080p.
What do you think? Remember that the 2nd i7 is free for me.
Thanks in advance.

If you have a decent gigabit network that may work. You may see additional katency associated with the ndi feeds compared to the capture cards in your main vmix PC.

If you want to use vmix on this second PC you need an additional license.

As for switching to 1080p; the resource consumption depends on the frame rates you are running at as well. A 1080p30 and 720p60 (or their ntsc/pal equivalents) session would consume similar resources.

Personally I would use a multi-channel capture card instead of using two machines. It sounds like you are dealing with older or more low-end machines here, so it's a tough call.

Install the vmix trial, throw one of your capture cards in there, and see what you think.
zenvideo  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2018 10:54:37 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
WayneH wrote:
Install the vmix trial, throw one of your capture cards in there, and see what you think.

Or just use the free version of NewTek's NDI Connect software, which supports two capture inputs.