logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Slaver  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 3:18:50 AM(UTC)
Slaver

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hey Guys,

anyone see this new product?

https://flextally.cerevo.com/en/

Tally Lamps working with W-Lan.

Question is, if i can make it work with vMix?

Thanks
Marvin
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:00:36 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
As it stands, I can see no direct software support (over ethernet) for vMix, nor a public SDK for a developer to use.

However, it could be used via the GPIO port with a custom cable connected to an Arduino Uno development board (which is one of the units supported by vMix for tally control).
thanks 1 user thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
Slaver on 1/11/2018(UTC)
Slaver  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:11:11 AM(UTC)
Slaver

Yes, i even saw no direct software support. Thats the reason for my question if there is another possibility.

Arduino sounds very interesting, i did some other projects with it. I will check it out if this is gonna work.
dasmedienatelier  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2018 12:46:53 PM(UTC)
dasmedienatelier

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I've just purchased this unit and got it working by using GPIO through Arduino.

I will post a short review soon.

But so far I really like this system. It's got everything you need: (good looking) big lights (green&red / front&back), good range, easy setup, well documented and a really decent price tag (got mine for about €400).

Furthermore: support for BMD ATEM and Tricaster over ethernet. It really would be cool to have ethernet control in vMix. I already mailed to Cerevo support and they told me, that they got in touch with the guys from vMix asking for exactly that, but did not receive an answer.

Maybe one could use Skaarhoj's vMixBridge software? I tried it, but no success so far.

Knut
Ittaidv  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2018 3:52:13 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I bought the Cuebi tally lights. I tested them today at the office, and they're working very well with vMix. They're very responsive, and work even at a distance. Can't wait to do an actual event with them.
thanks 1 user thanked Ittaidv for this useful post.
rowby on 3/1/2018(UTC)
Slaver  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2018 4:17:01 AM(UTC)
Slaver

I also saw the Cuebi Tally Lights. As i ask my cameramen they tell me, that they are much to small.

How you connect the Cuebi with vMix?
richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2018 5:15:20 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I wonder if the vMix team has been in contact with Cerevo?

From https://flextally.cerevo.com/en/ "you need to set up using dedicated software provided by Cerevo or a specifically configured cable for GPIO connection". It would be nice if Cerevo's software supported vMix (and thus connection to the Flextally station via ethernet instead of GPIO/Arduino).

We have the Cuebi, but for our typical use they are unfortunately too limited (too small lights, needs external power and are very sensitive to the WiFi environment).
dasmedienatelier  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 8:01:25 AM(UTC)
dasmedienatelier

Man

Quite old thread, but I thought I share my findings on this one.

Unfortunately, the Cerevo FlexTally still can't be used via Ethernet with vMix. It still has to use the GPIO mode and an Arduino board.

Here is a step-by-step instruction about how to use the Cerevo FlexTally with vMix. (Tested with vMix 21.)

It's more or less pretty basic stuff so sorry, if I bore the advanced user.

I'm using an Ardunio Uno board with an USB connector, this has the advantage, that the Board will also be powered by the USB bus. Furthermore, I have soldered a cable according to the SUB-D pin connection of the FlexTally mainstation. I would suggest, that you get some pin headers which plug directly into the board. Makes it easier to solder.

I've also bought a SUB-D 15pin connector (I think a VGA-cable can fit as well, so you can simply cut an old one open and don't have to solder the SUB-D connector) and some cable, depending on how many contact closures you need.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I've bought this cheap Arduino plastic box where you can slide in the Ardunio.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I haven't done any fresh install lately, so I'm trying to remember all the right steps. I also think, that I've uploaded the sketch from a different computer, where the Arduino IDE was already installed. So please correct me, if I'm doing something wrong here.

Furthermore you need to install the Ardunio drivers and upload the Standard Firmata "Sketch" to the Arduino Board. Otherwise the Arduino does nothing, since it comes with no software installed. You can use the "Arduino Web Editor" which needs an internet connection but you don't have to install anything in order to upload the Standard Firmata, or - as I did - install the Arduino IDE on your computer. This will also install the drivers.

You need a USB2-A cable (the one with the big connector) and connect the Arduino to the PC - drivers should be found and installed by Windows automatically.

Follow the instructions on getting starting page for the Arduino UNO:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoUno

Be sure to set the right COM-port and board you are using! In the menu "File->Examples" of the Arduino IDE there should be an entry "Standard Firmata". Select it one and push "Upload".

In the vMix Help there is more information on the digital pins on the Arduino Board.

On the Cerevo Mainstation you have to turn off DIP switch #1 on the back to use GPIO mode. I have left all the other DIP switches in their default "ON" position.

UserPostedImage

Now, connect the Arduino to the GPIO SUB-D connector and start vMix. In the vMix Settings you can select which pins are to be used. I have turned off green preview, since I don't need it. For the start, just leave everything here as it is.

UserPostedImage

Open the settings of Input 1. Under "Tally Lights" select the COM port, to which the Arduino is connected to. And select to which Tally number this input should react. That's it!

UserPostedImage

Hope, somebody finds this useful.

Knut
thanks 1 user thanked dasmedienatelier for this useful post.
richardgatarski on 9/3/2018(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 3, 2018 3:45:27 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Thanks dasmedienatelier for your instructions. But it took me quite a while to sort out a few issues.

My major problem was that at least on my FlexTally I had to set my DIP switches in the main station somewhat differently. Switch
1 to Off (for GPIO control)
2 to On (for Type1)
3 to Off (for Preview not avalilable, means 8 possible tallys although I only need/have 4)
4 to Off (for Reverse GPIO polarity)
5-7 are set to On (for Station ID 0, which matches the settings on the tallys)
8 to On (for Wireless control of the tallys)

In theory setting switch 3 to On would support Preview, but I cannot figure out how that would work.

Then one must not forget in vMix to set upp COM port and Tally numbers for all the relevant Inputs (dasmedienatelier's instructions only mentions the first Input).

Regarding the cabling I had to cut up two old VGA cables. The first one had unisolated ground wires for Red, Green, and Blue. Meant that pins 5, 6, and 7 were short circuited. Compare a VGA pinout.
Side note: it is Dsub, not SUB-D ;)

In order to power the Cerevo main station I cut up a Micro-USB cable and soldered it's + and- cables the Arduino's USB power pins. This way I need just one USB cable from the PC to the Arduino.

vMix's knowledge base article Tally Lights with Arduino Mega 2560 feels a little bit outdated. And one does not need a Mega 2560 (I have a Uno). Better go for the Arduino IDE (which btw also is used for Skaarhoj's stuff). The newer versions of Arduino IDE has built in "examples" with the upload of the Standard Firmata (no need to download Firmata from GitHub).

I also stumbled upon another article about a vMix download for Arduino Tally Lights Driver. Not sure exactly what it is, but my guess is for installation on a production PC (where Arduino IDE is not needed).

UPDATE: I was in conctact with Cerevo last week regarding FlexTally support for vMix. They replied:
Quote:
We are currently looking to add more switcher support to FlexTally, however at the current time we cannot give an exact date on when that will happen. Please keep an eye on our website for more news.

rjmurdock  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 4:05:40 AM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ittaidv Go to Quoted Post
I bought the Cuebi tally lights. I tested them today at the office, and they're working very well with vMix. They're very responsive, and work even at a distance. Can't wait to do an actual event with them.

I just saw this system at NAB this week. They had a demo system setup with vMix as the switcher. As far as I could tell, looks like they might have had it connected to vMix via a USB connection. But it also looks like this might be a version with a Cat5 connector.

Can anyone confirm if vMix can use these without using an GPIO/Andrino setup? Below is a pic:

FlexTally setup at NAB 2019]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DvzFOnJiSxwMzrQmx1EJ36XPVFTYb7ox]FlexTally setup at NAB 2019
zenvideo  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 7:58:16 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
On the FlexTally website it says, "* You need the newest firmware and FlexTally Utility to use it with vMix. Coming in the Q2 2019", but there's no other mention of vMix or the FlexTally Utility, so I guess we haven't quite arrived at that bit of Q2 2019 as yet. Maybe best to enquire via info-global@cerevo.com.
elvis55  
#12 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 8:41:53 PM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Hello,

I found this.

Greeting
rjmurdock  
#13 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2019 1:54:57 AM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Just wanted to let everyone in this topic thread that I was able to get a beta version of the Cerevo FlexTally firmware update prior to it's official release later this quarter and it successfully connected to vMix22 without any configuration or setting changes in vMix.
thanks 1 user thanked rjmurdock for this useful post.
Video Dave on 4/20/2019(UTC)
dasmedienatelier  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 8:13:32 PM(UTC)
dasmedienatelier

Man

Originally Posted by: rjmurdock Go to Quoted Post
Just wanted to let everyone in this topic thread that I was able to get a beta version of the Cerevo FlexTally firmware update prior to it's official release later this quarter and it successfully connected to vMix22 without any configuration or setting changes in vMix.

Any news on this one?

Knut