logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mathijs  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 5:13:57 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
I like the Adobe suite for it's ease of use and as a complete toolkit. I also like the speedhq codec for it's low system resources, not too big filesizes and video quality.

But I hate them together at certain moments. At this moment I have problems importing my footage, some files import fine, others don't. They can be imported but only show a few minutes of footage. I had this before, sometimes one of the files would have the problem and needs to be transcoded.
Now I have a ton of footage shot over a few days and with a tight deadline and a lot of them have the problem.
So now I set up FFMPEG to batch transcode them overnight, but I would like to know to who to complain about it.

Is it Newtek that can do something about it, or at least release a re-index tool to use when this happens? Can you check this if you read this Kane?

Is it Adobe that has the problem? In other software including vMix the files play fine and are detected right.

Is it vMix that has some bug that corrupts the index of the video in a way Adobe can't handle?

Does anyone know a quick fix that would be faster than transcoding?

What exactly is causing this to happen?
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 6:52:49 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
I'm guessing it might be something (missing) in the header of the file that vMix creates - something that Premiere depends on but other software doesn't - since I've had the same problem with MP4s from vMix (from the multicorder and the main output recorder). They import into Premiere but appear to be only a fraction of their actual length, and play all the way through in Windows Media Player. The solution has been to re-index them in VLC Media Player to regenerate the file header (with the correct info) but without re-encoding the media itself, which is therefore quite a quick process for each file. Of course it would be nicer not to have to go through that extra process...
Mathijs  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 8:49:07 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Yep, you can also re-index mp4's and mov's with the vMix Video Tools, but with speedhq there is no such option. VLC also doesn't decode SpeedHQ so your fix would not work here.

It is really a problem, I had this before with other codecs too with vMix, but never such a big percentage of files that bad I had to decide to transcode everything to mpeg2 at night to get a workflow going tomorrow.
NHT  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 16, 2017 5:06:35 AM(UTC)
NHT

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 31 post(s)
How complex is the edit?

The simplest option might be to get hold of a copy of Speededit.
Mathijs  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 16, 2017 6:53:23 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

It's already transcoded, I did use every single system in our office to batch transcode a session overnight so we are working now. Didn't lose a minute, only hours of sleep.

For 8 hours of footage including multicorder recordings, I'm happy it worked out to get things up in time, but I would like to see issues like this in the future as anecdotes of the past. I know I can stop this from happening by setting it up to make a new file every 5 minutes, but during a shoot with many takes that is too messy to get organised. Now I just keep a paper with V's and X's in order of the takes, so I know in the edit what to import and what to skip. If it makes new files, I have to setup names for every take and that would slow down things on the set.
It seems that when the files get bigger than 10GB, this issue is arising.

It is a greenscreen shoot, so I would like to use my plugins. Never did any work with speededit, so would like to see it but not when in the middle of a project with time pressure. ;)
Mathijs  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2017 12:38:06 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

For others having the same issue, here is an easy way to transcode everything in a folder.
Unpack the rar, place both files in the folder that has the .avi files, double click batchencode.rar.
Now every .avi in there will be transcoded to Mpeg2 TS.
You can do this multiple times on a powerful system for different folders.
You can also do this on multiple computers, like I did, if you map network drives.
That way I got 15 hours of footage done in a single night.

Folder batch encoder
stevespaw  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2017 6:03:19 PM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Or this:

http://www.myffmpeg.com/

Cheap and very powerful with watch folders.

Steve
Mathijs  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 24, 2017 10:50:52 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Thanks for the tip Steve, sure looks handy.

I would like the cause of the need to go away though.