logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ramón  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2013 4:35:50 PM(UTC)
Ramón

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
would be interesting to adjust a monitor cameras waveform and vectorscope.
thanks 1 user thanked Ramón for this useful post.
PFBM on 5/23/2014(UTC)
PFBM  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 23, 2014 3:14:34 AM(UTC)
PFBM

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
something like this:

http://www.rumblehouse.c...ope-histogram-sdk-basic/

would be nice on Vmix :)

Cheers,

PFBM
lbgaus  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 1:08:01 PM(UTC)
lbgaus

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I'd like to bump this again for consideration in vMix 14/15. It would be very nice to have scopes added as a monitoring feature in vMix (YUV+RGB parade, vectorscope, etc...)
admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 4:10:48 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4159 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Video analysis tools such as waveforms and vectorscopes are so technical, users almost need a video engineering degree to understand them!

Perhaps if you guys could discuss what readings you typically look for I can build some specific easy to use indicators.
For example, a simple RGB bar graph showing the relative weight of each colours intensity may be a easy alternative to a vectorscope.

One reason for this is performance, the rumblehouse sdk uses 60%+ CPU, so this would not be practical for vMix.
Simple indicators on the other hand might be easier to implement.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
PFBM on 8/12/2014(UTC)
LG  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 4:29:33 AM(UTC)
LG

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
it would only be used for firdst setup of the camera's and so on
then the 60% cpu use is not a problem because your not live yet.
h2video.nl  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 4:39:53 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
hi martin,

just started playing around with my new bm pocket cinema camera and recording in log raw film mode. this requires color grading and i am on a steep learning curve using al kinds of color grading tools. so i know what you mean with engineering degree....

maybe some of the tools and ideas behind simple color grading could somehow be added to vmix. i am referring to the technique of using LUTs: a Look Up Table. this is simply a table which translates color values to a desired output and will act as a quick way to apply a desired color grading effect.

maybe this is a good alterative for the more active color grading as proposed, because the lut is the result of this active proces in a different program and therefor a simple to aply translation of the incomming signal.

this would also have the benefit that vmix can be used with various bm cameras such as the bmpcc or the bm studio camera when a raw output is input in vmix and this input needs to be graded. a set of preset luts could be provided and users can make their own, p.e using the free bm color grading light tool davinci resolve light...

greetings,
stefan

PFBM  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 3:00:08 PM(UTC)
PFBM

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
admin wrote:
Video analysis tools such as waveforms and vectorscopes are so technical, users almost need a video engineering degree to understand them!

Perhaps if you guys could discuss what readings you typically look for I can build some specific easy to use indicators.
For example, a simple RGB bar graph showing the relative weight of each colours intensity may be a easy alternative to a vectorscope.

One reason for this is performance, the rumblehouse sdk uses 60%+ CPU, so this would not be practical for vMix.
Simple indicators on the other hand might be easier to implement.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Yes RGB bar graph would suffice :)
daniel514  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:33:21 PM(UTC)
daniel514

Canada

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
It would be amazing to apply LUTs to cameras input!
Often we use different cams and they can't match, i see this problem on so many webcasts!

Workflow would be:
1-White ballance all your cams
2-frame on X-Rite Original ColorChecker Card
3-multicorder
4-import recordings to DaVinci Resolve 11 (lite is free) and create LUT for each cams
5-apply LUTs to vMix inputs

I agree LUT module maybe hard to implement... maybe not so hard?

CPU intensive? yes if no GPU is used! In Premiere Pro with i7 4.4 Ghz GTX 660 Lumetri using a LUT if
GPU enabled:No impact on CPU add about 10% to GPU
GPU disabled:about 80% on CPU add 0% to GPU

obviously it require GPU processing!

I found this on the net about LUT using DirectX i understand it's running arount 2000fps when processing!
http://coherent-labs.com...o-lut-for-color-grading/
And this about using OpenGl to apply LUTs
http://http.developer.nv.../gpugems2_chapter24.html

Daniel
thanks 1 user thanked daniel514 for this useful post.
PFBM on 10/23/2014(UTC)
tdurhamjr  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 7:01:19 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
daniel514 wrote:
It would be amazing to apply LUTs to cameras input!
Often we use different cams and they can't match, i see this problem on so many webcasts!

I have 2 Sony HDRCX900 and even after resetting both cameras the white balance is different for both of them. I just have not had time to trouble shoot it further but the football field is a different shade of green for each camera :( Drives me nuts!! So this would be awesome to fix in vMxix.
h2video.nl  
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 2:13:39 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
hey I just found out that there is a vectorscope on the black magic shuttle input.

I connected my vmix set through the hdmi output (second screen) to the shuttle connected to an apple with FMLE (fro streaming). But when you select the settings button next to the input in FMLE you get a screen where you can select all kinds of scopes and RGB parades and all that.

From VMIX you can selet what output to send to the seond screen, so you can send any input and view the scopes.

Maybe this is a quickfix to test/

Stefan
rrpro  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:48:45 PM(UTC)
rrpro

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1

I understand that is difficult to vmix due to performance but anyone knows any external software for that? It could interpret the vMix Video output :)
daniel514  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:14:20 PM(UTC)
daniel514

Canada

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Quote:
I have 2 Sony HDRCX900 and even after resetting both cameras the white balance is different for both of them. I just have not had time to trouble shoot it further but the football field is a different shade of green for each camera :( Drives me nuts!! So this would be awesome to fix in vMxix.

Have you got your 2 Sony HDRCX900 to behave properly?
I look to buy some base on my good results of the X70... have you compare both?
Are they really same base HW?
charlesm1950  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2015 10:55:33 AM(UTC)
charlesm1950

Since this topic is somewhat old I want to renew the interest in a waveform monitor and vectorscope. They would not have to be active during production, although that is preferable. But, they could be exceptionally helpful when setting up.

The LCD panels on most notebooks and most desktop monitors do not accurately render color or black levels so eyeballing the setup of cameras prior to shooting is just not good enough. Even if you shoot with the same model camera for all your cameras and white balance on a 18% gray card the cameras can be slighty different in saturation and black levels. I often finish a shoot to find I have to correct in post those problems. I would really prefer not to have them at all! But if I don't correct it I find YouTube's transcoding exaggerates any black level or saturation issues.

With a vectorscope I can put a color bar chart in front of the cameras and insure they are all delivering the same saturation. With a waveform monitor and a stepped gray scale chart I can insure dead-on black levels. When I was using analog hardware I always relied on the vectorscope and waveform monitor to provide this prior to a second white balance check and the color match was great. But now I am having issues, especially after its uploaded to YouTube.

If CPU loading is an issue, consider a checkbox to make sure it is automatically turned off during recording or streaming. Since I typically record at 1080P with about 25 - 27% CPU loading and 5ms of delay I suspect this could be done live. In that case I would want to be able to do it with any input and with the output. The reason for being able to do it on the output is to switch inputs or do a split screen to make it easy A-B to compare two camera inputs.

So, please consider this again. We are way past the versions where this was a mentioned as a possibility.

Thanks,
Charles

P.S. I am replacing my program out monitor with an IPS panel to assist in eyeballing a better color match.
Ittaidv  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2015 12:00:48 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Since many things are requested in the same topic, i would like to +1 some and add some more:

+1 for LUTS, i think this would not use a lot of cpu and would be a great addition. We recently bought a couple of A7s cams (for low light shooting at concerts), it would be kick ass to use SLOG and do realtime grading with LUT's to get a super nice look :) I was looking now at those LUT boxes from AJA, but they're expensive, and it would be almost impossible to change looks during a production.

+ 1 for some kind of color indication (histogram is the easies to read in my opinion), we also mix a lot of different camera's into our production, it would be nice if we can mix-match them better, since it's almost impossible to do this in post when long fades are used.

+ 1 for more color correction options: Gamma curves like used in premiere or lightroom would be very nice. Most of the times i can get the colors to match more or less, but shadows and highlights are often completely different depending on the camera. Right now we make matching colorprofiles in some of our camera's, but with changing light conditions (recordings starting during the day, ending at night for example) it's not easy to keep a good color match. Adjusting on the pc during the recording would be awesome. Also: we mix intensity pro with intensity pro 4K cards, and the 4K cards render color a bit different (more contrast), it's almost impossible to fix this inside the camera, it would be great if it could be done in VMIX.

Also: what would be a huge one is the ability to load directshow filters. There are some great ones free of charge or at low prices on the internet, this would make the options endless.

I think both the indication of color, and the ability to match better and use filters, would greatly improve our productions. We could then deliver productions with a way better look and feel to clients, right out of the box, with minimal effort. It would for sure open up market for more high end productions that would be almost impossible to do now even for the guys with expensive hardware mixers.

Just one implementation proposition: what would be perfect, is to have some kind of color correction panel that can be used in a seperate window with seperate controls. This could introduce the role of a shader into productions. You now often see this inside big productions, that one guy is just in charge of the colors.

Kelvin  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2018 11:38:22 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
+1