logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RenoGarcia  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 18, 2017 2:35:50 PM(UTC)
RenoGarcia

Groups: Registered

Hey Guys,

So I have this weird issue. I've been using propresenter 6 on a windows machine for almost a year with the desktop capture application. This worked pretty well. I just switched to a brand new iMac and I have this super weird problem. the desktop capture app will pick up everything on the actual iMac screen no problem. Anything on a second screen via usb to hdmi shows up in vmix but isn't visible. It looks like when you see something transparent in photoshop. It has that checkerboard. Anyone dealt with this? I'm totally lost.

Thanks!

Reno

Forgot this in the original post. It's not just propresenter, literally nothing works on the second screen via desktop capture.
livepad  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 19, 2017 6:11:45 AM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
RenoGarcia wrote:
Hey Guys,

So I have this weird issue. I've been using propresenter 6 on a windows machine for almost a year with the desktop capture application. This worked pretty well. I just switched to a brand new iMac and I have this super weird problem. the desktop capture app will pick up everything on the actual iMac screen no problem. Anything on a second screen via usb to hdmi shows up in vmix but isn't visible. It looks like when you see something transparent in photoshop. It has that checkerboard. Anyone dealt with this? I'm totally lost.

Thanks!

Reno

Forgot this in the original post. It's not just propresenter, literally nothing works on the second screen via desktop capture.

Hi Reno

The problem could be the method used by the desktop capture application to 'scrape' the screen. There are a number of different methods to do this, including calls the windowing system and calls to openGL.

its possible that the app you are using is calling openGL and that is failing on the USB connected screen - since that is more rather unusual connection - is this a Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI or a traditional USB2/3 to HDMI ?

There are at least 4 different Desktop capture apps for Mac to NDI, so trying them all may give you some perspective. However, not all support multiple screens

Some that do

- Sienna NDI ScanConverter (full version, Lite version only supports main screen)
This works fine with a second screen connected via Thunderbolt 3. Demo version at: Sienna.tv/ndi / Purchase here
- Vmix Desktop Capture download
This works fine with a second screen connected via Thunderbolt 3
- NewTek NDI Scan Converter (free) request
This displays all screens as a single image rather than selecting one or the other, but again it displays content from a second screen connected via Thunderbolt 3

If you are using a truly USB connected HDMI, then you should do the same test - you may find that one or the other works. Start with the Sienna NDI ScanConverter (demo if you don't own it) - since I can confirm that this does NOT pull pixels directly from openGL and so may have a better chance of getting the USB connected pixels.

RenoGarcia  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 12:48:41 PM(UTC)
RenoGarcia

Yeah, it's a USB to dual hdmi by j5 create. I just needed something to get us up and running since someone donated this computer.

I'll try all of those today and see what happens.

Thank you!