logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mari  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 9, 2017 2:49:56 PM(UTC)
Mari

Groups: Registered
Netherlands

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
The question is simple, what is the "best" way to get audio into vMix?

At this moment I use the "mic" input of my laptop to get the audio from my mixer into vMix. I was thinking about buying a new mixer with USB-port for example the Behringer XENYX Q1202USB.

Is this a good choice or are there better options?

Thnx in advance...
sinc747  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 9, 2017 3:16:00 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Great question, but tell us more. How many mics will you be using?

If only one, it would be easier to start with a Audio-Technica ATR2100 or similar mic. It is USB and XLR, so it will work directly with your PC now over USB and later, when add a mixer, it will connect via XLR.

- Tom
Mari  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 9, 2017 3:38:42 PM(UTC)
Mari

Netherlands

I need to connect 2 mics and at least 1 other device... at this moment these 3 are mixed together and go into vMix via the "mic" input of the laptop. The laptop has a combined connection for "mic" and "headphone" and is therefore not very useful.
sinc747  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 9, 2017 3:44:31 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Then a good option is the Behringer UMC404HD. Not a mixer, but rather an audio device. Connects to the PC via USB and allows vMix to "see" each individual mic as a separate audio source.

It's really cool. It's what the vMix guys use for their monthly vMix Fun Time Live Show.

In fact, their live show is in two days... October 10, 2017 at 8:00 pm Eastern Time here

- Tom
thanks 1 user thanked sinc747 for this useful post.
Mari on 10/10/2017(UTC)
Mari  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 12:46:39 PM(UTC)
Mari

Netherlands

Thanks Tom, will take a look at it... If others have suggestion, please post...
SportsNetUSA.net  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:17:34 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
You could use an analog hardware mixer if you already own one. You still would need a USB device such as a Behringer UMC22 or UA202 to get the audio into your computer.

However, if you have to buy something, as Tom pointed out, the Behringer UMC404HD is a top choice.
Mari  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:54:55 PM(UTC)
Mari

Netherlands

I own a analoge mixer (also a Behringer), use one of the outputs to get the audio into vMix... using the "mic"-input of the built-in soundcard doesn't give me satisfaction, therefore I want to step up and do it the "right" way.

SportsNetUSA.net  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 4:50:35 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Mari wrote:
I own a analoge mixer (also a Behringer), use one of the outputs to get the audio into vMix... using the "mic"-input of the built-in soundcard doesn't give me satisfaction, therefore I want to step up and do it the "right" way.

Yes that's why I mentioned the Behringer devices. I use various Shure mixers with them, with either of the two Behringer USB devices mentioned. Not a fan of using built-in 3.5mm soundcard input jacks. I only do that in emergency situations.

Some of the Behringer mixers do have USB connectivity, but I'm guessing yours does not. If your budget doesn't allow for a UMC404HD at this time, and your existing Behringer analog mixer works well, you can buy a Behringer UCA202 for $29.99 new. That combo will get clean audio into your system.
mjgraves  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 5:14:09 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I have two bits of experience to offer:

If you only have one or two microphones you can use a pre-amp/converter like the Blue Icicle to turn any old XLR microphone into a USB microphone. At just $50 this device is a great preamp that lets you use that age old SM58 that just won't die. Connect it directly to your vMix host. Easy peasy. It even provides phantom power to drive condenser microphones, like lavaliers or shotguns.

I've used the Berhinger UCA-222 USB interface with good success. This device is just $30 and has line-level inputs (-10 dbm), which makes it easier to ensure good levels from an external mixer. It overcomes the problems of noise or overdriving the analog microphone input of a computer.
lael  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 11, 2017 5:00:37 AM(UTC)
lael

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If you need more audio inputs, you can go with something like the Midas MR-18, which allows a ton more inputs for not much more expense, and also acts as a PC-Audio interface (multitrack into your PC). If you want multitrack recording into USB directly from the mixer at the same time as you are outputting to the computer, you could go a little more expensive for the similar soundcraft model UI-24. Note that these are controlled via a tablet / smartphone and are rackmounted mixers, so don't have level controls etc on the mixer themselves. However, you can save levels and setup etc on the control device and load it for each 'gig' you are doing etc.
Mari  
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2017 1:34:37 PM(UTC)
Mari

Netherlands

Many thanks for the replies... I will give the Behringer UCA222 a go... and do some testing tomorrow...
Peter B  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 19, 2017 4:37:42 PM(UTC)
Peter B

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
vMix also supports the audio from cameras. If your cameras have external mic inputs
you can use those.
Andrew25  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:45:49 AM(UTC)
Andrew25

I have just read All Comments very carefully and Maximum of them are absolutely Right and I got it now, and In future I will use it and Get an Audio into vMix, So thank you So much for this. And I have Just ask a Help to UK essay writing to do some writing work And Hopefully I got the Writer and My work is on Progress Now!!!
Mari  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 1:20:19 PM(UTC)
Mari

Netherlands

Did some tests and livestream with the UCA222... no noise, easy to setup and good sound... low budget investment with good result.