logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eboyer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 12:44:36 AM(UTC)
eboyer

Groups: Registered

Hey everyone!

Avid vMix user, first time forum poster.

I've been doing some research around a mobile solution to some of the live work I do. There's some good information in here that i've definitely read as well: https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=9475

The core of my question is around vMix and GPUs. I see that most of the recommendations are usually leaning more towards gaming GPUs vs. workstation. Where exactly will the bottlenecks occur with a workstation GPU like a Quadro M2200? I've been specifically looking at the Lenovo P51 and either capturing 4 SDI inputs via a Sonnet, akitio (with a magewell 4x SDI I already have) or going all in for an AJA 4k.

Ideally, i'm spending under 2k for this machine BUT the model im specifically looking at is: https://www.bhphotovideo..._7820hq_16gb_512ssd.html

I did one lap around the gaming laptop section at Micro Center and... it would be great if I didnt have to go in that direction. ;)
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 5:35:28 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi and welcome to the vMix community

Quadro M2200 is far less efficient for what vMix does and needs. Video realtime encoding is not the same thing as 3D calculations for example. So the GPU is not the same type.

Unless you can find a laptop with the latest M4000, just stick to GeForce GTX series if you want the best for vMix.

Check this : https://www.vmix.com/pro...ce-systems.aspx#sapphire

Guillaume

thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
mjgraves on 9/30/2017(UTC)
eboyer  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 1:05:37 PM(UTC)
eboyer

DWAM wrote:
Hi and welcome to the vMix community

Quadro M2200 is far less efficient for what vMix does and needs. Video realtime encoding is not the same thing as 3D calculations for example. So the GPU is not the same type.

Unless you can find a laptop with the latest M4000, just stick to GeForce GTX series if you want the best for vMix.

Check this : https://www.vmix.com/pro...ce-systems.aspx#sapphire

Guillaume

For sure. I think ASUS is phasing out the GL502's and GL702's. It would be great to find one on clearance at a best buy or microcenter as they are getting rid of stock. Gaming laptops just look so obnoxious.

After researching *every* laptop with thunderbolt 3 and a GTX GPU it really disgusts me to say this, but I think Alienware has the best option.

I keep going between a setup like this and just doing a rack with an ATEM in it. Need to be able to fly with power and ideally it's with my good buddy vMix.
eboyer  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 1:10:12 PM(UTC)
eboyer

Also in that suggested ASUS model specifically, there's a lot of chatter about how its not really a true 40gbps thunderbolt 3 port: https://rog.asus.com/for...e/index.php/t-91258.html
DWAM  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 2:07:55 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
This has been discussed on the forum already and many models on the market are reported here too.

I personnally have one setup based on Asus ROG with TB1 that I use sometimes with a BMD ATEM and BMD Ultrastudio. It's a good solution for a start and smaller productions. But obviously working with laptops is imho not the best option due to the limitations and the cost.

Take time to search and read other people advices, feedback, suggestions... You'll learn a lot.

eboyer  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2017 7:56:47 PM(UTC)
eboyer

DWAM wrote:
This has been discussed on the forum already and many models on the market are reported here too.

I personnally have one setup based on Asus ROG with TB1 that I use sometimes with a BMD ATEM and BMD Ultrastudio. It's a good solution for a start and smaller productions. But obviously working with laptops is imho not the best option due to the limitations and the cost.

Take time to search and read other people advices, feedback, suggestions... You'll learn a lot.

Yeah totally, I mentioned that. Combed most of the forums and all models that are currently on the market with T3 ports.
Yamato  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:24:54 PM(UTC)
Yamato

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi eboyer and welcome.
I have the MSI laptop GS63VR Stealth Pro, which was recommended last year by Vmix for Sapphire build, alongside an Akitio Thunder3 PCIe externel with a Decklink Duo 2 and an avermedia Livegamer Xtreme, so that's 5 sources instead of 4 because why not :)
It's the old model with 6700HQ CPU but so far it's running perfectly well with 4 PTZ cameras on SDI and PS4 on HDMI, streaming at 720p60 veryfast, local recording using GPU at 1080p60, never gone above 80% CPU with some PNG scoreboards and excel running for update names and datasources for eath match (Good Street Fighter V weekly tournament)

I think the GTX 1060 really helps and you should not aim below to be honest. Wait a few month and you could find this kind of computer for cheap as Nvidia will probably rolls out new generation of GPU before the end of the year i think :)
Speegs  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 6:57:03 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Gigabyte Aero 15 laptop is great 👍