logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Speegs  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 9:10:12 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Anyone playing with an NewTek Spark yet? I don't have one yet (it's in the country, but seems to be attached to a snail for deliver), so keen to see it through other people's eyes.
kane  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2017 1:15:39 AM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)

Kane Peterson
NewTek
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2017 5:22:14 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
kane wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF7PoTf59y8&t=1s

Thanks Kane,
But it's impossible to judge the image quality from that video. It seems to be recorded at 29.97 fps, and that the Spark is about 4-5 frames after SDI.

Regarding the other video from Amtrace, with the NewTek NDI PTZ1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-eBCescEtk), same again - impossible to check the image quality. We have to trust what he says ;)

Looking forward to more tests :)
kane  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2017 10:05:55 AM(UTC)
kane

Well, I'd say you could never determine final output quality of any camera/device thru YouTube. Perhaps someone will post a recording sample from these devices to get a better idea.

His TriCaster was running in 1080i59.94 as shown in the interface, the Spark could still be working in 1080p59.94, but would of been reformatted to the session format in the TriCaster. So the final recording/stream output would of been 30fps.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
Speegs  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2017 6:32:02 PM(UTC)
Speegs

I'll test but somehow my spark delivery is taking 3 - 5 days to go 100km from Brisbane to Gold Coast if the tracking website is accurate. It was traveling well around the USA but Australia Post seems to be conducting their own latency test on this delivery.
seb666  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 6:16:55 PM(UTC)
seb666

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Speegs wrote:
Anyone playing with an NewTek Spark yet? I don't have one yet (it's in the country, but seems to be attached to a snail for deliver), so keen to see it through other people's eyes.

I had my first tests with the Spark HDMI and I experienced a delay around four frames compared to my Blackmagic Capture cards into vMix. Picture quality was ok, but not perfect. I will test further and give feedback in the forum.
Speegs  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 9:56:22 PM(UTC)
Speegs

I have one now, pretty happy with it, but I've done "desk" testing. Nothing in the field yet.
atwsportscast  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 16, 2017 1:17:02 AM(UTC)
atwsportscast

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Got my spark a couple of days ago, was hoping to use it on a multi camera sports shoot. I'm very disapointed with the lag, its enough (appears to be between a half to one second) that I can`t use it.

I wonder if my network router could be the problem?
kane  
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 16, 2017 10:08:19 AM(UTC)
kane

atwsportscast wrote:
Got my spark a couple of days ago, was hoping to use it on a multi camera sports shoot. I'm very disapointed with the lag, its enough (appears to be between a half to one second) that I can`t use it.

I wonder if my network router could be the problem?

There is something going on there, latency shouldn't be anywhere close to a second. I did a test with my unit and the latency between the SDI native capture on my TriCaster and the Spark HDMI or SDI was 89ms. This was working in 1080p59.94. I was also using a wired connection.

Did you update the firmware on your unit? You can also try a system reset (pinhole button next to the power switch). Is the latency appearing in NDI Studio Monitor?

Kane Peterson
NewTek
Speegs  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2017 6:58:11 PM(UTC)
Speegs

I have never seen that much lag on my unit. 0.3 seconds is about as high as I saw. Testing the limits of the wifi. It was always lower on an Ethernet connection, but I expected that :)
atwsportscast  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 1:05:34 AM(UTC)
atwsportscast

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I did a firmware update and then did the factory reset.

What I hope to do with the unit is use it wirelessly on the football field for one of my cameras. I have been using a Triton and it works ok, I just think its my router.

Is there a way to bypass my current wifi network and just connect directly to my computer (by wifi) that is running Vmix?
DWAM  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 4:13:07 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
Is there a way to bypass my current wifi network and just connect directly to my computer (by wifi) that is running Vmix?

Hi

if you want to go wireless, the best option is to avoid ad-hoc connections to your vMix host as well as wifi routers.

What you need is a dedicated access point that will be positionned cleverly for best performance.

Trying to connect to your host directly will result in very short distance capacity.
Using a wifi router (as opposed to a Wifi AP) will most certainly result in having a bad position for operation and most of those are far from reaching the best potential on Wifi.

Also don't expect to be able to use NDI/HX wirelessly over long distances. I believe you are lucky if it works reliably in high quality mode at 50m with a very good and dedicated AP.

Guillaume
trilive  
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:39:39 AM(UTC)
trilive

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi,

I bought 2 Spark 2 weeks ago and used them for a production. They worked pretty well, setup was easy and fast.
Quality was good, but latency was a bit high. It was nearly 500 ms. I'm on the newest firmware. Setup was wired. When I replace the Spark by a Teradek Cube in exactly the same environment and use low latency modus the Cube has 50% less latency.
I just wonder if there will be a camera mounting option coming up in the future.

Jürgen
rinaldo  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 2, 2017 3:49:20 PM(UTC)
rinaldo

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
trilive wrote:
Hi,

I bought 2 Spark 2 weeks ago and used them for a production. They worked pretty well, setup was easy and fast.
Quality was good, but latency was a bit high. It was nearly 500 ms. I'm on the newest firmware. Setup was wired. When I replace the Spark by a Teradek Cube in exactly the same environment and use low latency modus the Cube has 50% less latency.
I just wonder if there will be a camera mounting option coming up in the future.

Jürgen

Camera mount and USB power are big missing 😔
lael  
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 19, 2017 3:49:26 PM(UTC)
lael

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Speegs wrote:
I have never seen that much lag on my unit. 0.3 seconds is about as high as I saw. Testing the limits of the wifi. It was always lower on an Ethernet connection, but I expected that :)

We're currently testing ours out. The lag seems higher than that on wifi, maybe close to that on ethernet. What was your testing method and what point to point are you referring to?