logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cormac  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2017 6:37:05 AM(UTC)
Cormac

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi I have an iphone 6 and anexpensive dlink router with mimo.
I still find though that the ndi image stutters a lot if i move .
Is there any way of getting a more stable signal?
I am on a 5ghz network and have followed Kane Peterson's advice on another post with no beter result.
livepad  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 31, 2017 12:13:01 PM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Cormac wrote:
Hi I have an iphone 6 and anexpensive dlink router with mimo.
I still find though that the ndi image stutters a lot if i move .
Is there any way of getting a more stable signal?
I am on a 5ghz network and have followed Kane Peterson's advice on another post with no beter result.

You can connect the iPhone with a wired ethernet connection.

That will most likely help a lot.

There are hits on google to tell you how to do that with USB kit and adaptor, or you can just get a Rebotnix adaptor
https://rebotnix.com/ndi/
Cormac  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 2, 2017 2:23:49 PM(UTC)
Cormac

Hi . I don't really want to go wired on it . I'm using it on a gimbal. I'm moving it around about an 20 foot area but it's quite jerky all the time . I thought that ndicam was supposed to act better than this . I can't even get it to act very smooth close to the wifi router in lo quality mode .
Has anyone had a good smooth hidef signal using Android or ios with ndi ?
Is ndihx going to solve the problem or will that only be reserved for expensive cameras ?
kane  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 2, 2017 6:56:17 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
The next thing to look at is how much other WiFi noise/traffic is in your area. Perhaps use tool like InSSIDer to see what else is active your area.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what bad the signal is that you are seeing, but NDI® pushes WiFi to it's limits.

As for NDI|HX, it is mainly designed for hardware solutions, while the standard NDI is more for software solutions (but can be implemented in hardware like BirdDog has done). I'm not sure if you will see NDI|HX support on iOS or Android.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
thanks 1 user thanked kane for this useful post.
Cormac on 9/3/2017(UTC)
Cormac  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 3, 2017 9:36:53 AM(UTC)
Cormac

Thanks for that info Kane. I'll definitely try InSSIDer
The only thing Iwas not able to select on my router was the ability to only have a 40 mhz range it automatically selected between 20 and 40. It's an fast dlink so I thought this would have been a breeze.
http://www.dlink.com/uk/...ac3200-ultra-wifi-router

If there is a more suitable router I'd love any recommendations.
kane  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 3, 2017 2:38:52 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
I don't have any recommendations on specific models.

I just tried NewTek NDI Camera on my home network. I'm using my AT&T WiFi access point, which is upstairs while I was doing the test from downstairs. In the standard quality mode, I'm getting very smooth video, maybe a small blip once in a while, but more than useable. In high quality mode, I'm getting poor frame rate, it wouldn't be usable.

I've done a bit of tweaking with my access point. I do have it set to 40Mhz bandwidth and WPA2/AES. But that is about it. Something else that might help is forcing the access point to only allow the highest speed connections (N or AC only).

Lastly, you don't have the receiving device also on WiFi do you? In my test, the only WiFi part of the connection was from the phone to the router, it was then PowerLine to Ethernet to my laptop after that. If I had both my laptop and phone trying to both send and receive the NDI signal via WiFi, I doubt it would work well.

livepad  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 3, 2017 5:40:49 PM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Cormac wrote:
Hi . I don't really want to go wired on it . I'm using it on a gimbal. I'm moving it around about an 20 foot area but it's quite jerky all the time . I thought that ndicam was supposed to act better than this . I can't even get it to act very smooth close to the wifi router in lo quality mode .
Has anyone had a good smooth hidef signal using Android or ios with ndi ?
Is ndihx going to solve the problem or will that only be reserved for expensive cameras ?

When you move the camera around, it will significantly increase the size of the ndi data since ndi is a vbr codec,

You should reduce the image size with the slider to improve frame rate. Also different routers give different results.

One great option which is cheap ,is to get a tplink directional wifi antenna for your router and point it towards the area you are in.

Cormac  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2017 5:47:41 PM(UTC)
Cormac

Hi Kane and Livepad .
Thanks for the tips.
I have my vmix computer hardwired to the router and have given the phone high priority.
I have tried the phone in low quality mode and vmix in low bandwidth mode.
THe low bandwidth mode on the ndicam on the phone is not worth using .
Keeping the phone on highbandwidth mode and then the putting vmix mdi into low bandwidth mode has given me my best results.
Don't know wether it will be good enough to use though in any professional way probably too different from the rest of the cameras.
Is there any roadmap for updating the ndicam app to improve efficiency?
Cormac  
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2017 5:56:19 PM(UTC)
Cormac

Cormac wrote:
Hi Kane and Livepad .
Thanks for the tips.
I have my vmix computer hardwired to the router and have given the phone high priority.
I have tried the phone in low quality mode and vmix in low bandwidth mode.
THe low bandwidth mode on the ndicam on the phone is not worth using for my purposes.
Keeping the phone on highbandwidth mode and then the putting vmix mdi into low bandwidth mode has given me my best results.
Don't know wether it will be good enough to use though in any professional way probably too different from the rest of the cameras.
Is there any roadmap for updating the ndicam app to improve efficiency?

kdtav  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 2:52:45 PM(UTC)
kdtav

kane wrote:
As for NDI|HX, it is mainly designed for hardware solutions, while the standard NDI is more for software solutions (but can be implemented in hardware like BirdDog has done). I'm not sure if you will see NDI|HX support on iOS or Android.

Kane Peterson
NewTek

That's a bit disappointing. It seems like mobile devices on wifi are just the right use case for NDI|HX. Maybe I don't quite understand its intent or limitations.

Interestingly enough, there's an NDI video app on iOS called JustWifiCam that purports to have just added NDI 3.0 compatibility in its latest update. I've tested the app with vMix, but it's also supposed to work with other video systems that support NDI video (JustBroadcaster, Tricaster, OBS, etc.).

So, am I missing something about NDI|HX, or is somebody else? Maybe I'm assuming that NDI 3.0 automatically makes NDI|HX available for that device, so long as your control system supports it, too. I do hope that's right.
zenvideo  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 3:26:31 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
kdtav wrote:
Maybe I'm assuming that NDI 3.0 automatically makes NDI|HX available for that device, so long as your control system supports it, too. I do hope that's right.

AFAIK, it makes NDI|HX available to receive, but not automatically to transmit. I think HX needs a (H264) hardware codec, meaning that there's no software HX encoding included in the NDI3 SDK.