logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kjones9999  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2017 9:56:28 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Hi all - new to replay on vmix and considering an upgrade.

What does the work flow look like on a second computer - All Ndi Inputs on the Replay Machine and then NDI Input from the replay machine on the main?
thanks 1 user thanked kjones9999 for this useful post.
Ario on 2/9/2020(UTC)
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:45:22 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Yes, or the contrary depending on where is your capture card > all inputs on replay PC + all inputs and replay with NDI to the main vMix
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
Ario on 2/9/2020(UTC)
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 12:05:20 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
I am somewhat curious about this myself since "Instant Replay" was designed prior to the release of NDI with an eye on being able to use 2 systems (as per traditional production environments).
Is there (or was there) another way of networking the computers to work in unison?
(I'm not a networking guy but always assumed it's possible, I've just never done it and wouldn't know where to start)
To me the two system NDI solution is not as seamless as the single system integration of "Instant Replay" within vMix, that is, a direct single button playout to Program Output from the "Instant Replay" Interface.
I look forward to learning more about the 2 system workflow...

Ice
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 12:42:20 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
Is there (or was there) another way of networking the computers to work in unison?

Networking? No... AV i/o yes... My initial thought was to use a video router so that both vMix receive all 4 cams, then have an output from the replay to the main switcher using capture cards.

But if I remember well, it was intially designed for a single machine operation.

No before NDI I don't think it was possible to use an IP only solution.

No it's not as seamless for sure, but good replay requires a dedicated operator which handles this full time (indexing + highlights) and feeds to the main switcher on demand by the TD or director. In sports, usually the replay operator must answer anything by the second.
Using NDI on 2 separate machines makes vMix very close to what broadcasters usually do with 3Play or LSM (evs).
Being able to use Instant Replay on a separate machine with 2 or 3 monitors is also very important and convenient.
I think the one man one machine solution cannot be as effective.
thanks 2 users thanked DWAM for this useful post.
kjones9999 on 7/25/2017(UTC), Ario on 6/1/2018(UTC)
kjones9999  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:38:51 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Thanks guys -

So in my mind I am working through this- so check my workflow

- Mixing computer taking all camera inputs and sending NDI of camera inputs to replay
- Instant Replay Computer taking in all inputs NDI, clipping replays and sending via NDI back to mixing computer

Is there a way (I think there must be via shortcut) to playback replay while firing a stinger and changing input on the non-replay (mixing machine)? Am I thinking of this the right way?
g-mo  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 4, 2017 12:09:03 AM(UTC)
g-mo

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
kjones9999 wrote:
Thanks guys -

So in my mind I am working through this- so check my workflow

- Mixing computer taking all camera inputs and sending NDI of camera inputs to replay
- Instant Replay Computer taking in all inputs NDI, clipping replays and sending via NDI back to mixing computer

Is there a way (I think there must be via shortcut) to playback replay while firing a stinger and changing input on the non-replay (mixing machine)? Am I thinking of this the right way?

It is possible through the use of scripts.
oveien  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 12:00:25 PM(UTC)
oveien

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
@kjones9999 setup is exactly like I try to setup, but being new to vMix (and broadcast in general) I seem to be stuck.

To start a new replay, I picture the following workflow:
1) Replay person say to the video-mixer that he have a replay of the situation
2) Video mixer person say go / no go
3) If it's a go, the replay person click a shortcut which run a script that:
- Start the replay locally on the replay pc (ReplayPlayLastEventToOutput)
- Run PreviewInput <NDI input from replay PC> on the video mixer PC
- Run Transition4 (Stinger) on the video mixer PC

This works very well, the replay starts and everything.

I start the replay from the "replay vMix" because it's the only vMix that knows when the replay is complete (Based on length, speed, number of angles).

The point I'm stuck at is a way to run Transition1 on the video mixer pc when the replay is done, so the main output no longer is the replay.

I guess it could be done manually with quite some training, but I hope there is another way? I tried to make an "onComplete" trigger for for Replay A that does the same, but it don't seem to be triggered.

Anyone have a clue how I can run a script on end of replay? Or is there an other obvious workflow which is better? How did you solve this issue @kjosnes9999?
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 3:53:46 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ oveien

My preference would be to set up a couple of different options.
1. Shortcut key option for the director (main vMix PC) to Stinger Transition back to LIVE at his/her discretion. This would typically require the Replay clip to be a second or two longer than it needs to be and/or slowed down as it approaches the end.
2. Have a "shared" Default LIVE camera on the Replay PC that automatically Stinger transitions back to at the end of the Replay clip, which the main vMix PC can easily cut or dissolve away from.

Ice
oveien  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 6, 2018 7:50:52 PM(UTC)
oveien

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for the feedback @IceScream, it make sense for the director to be able to cut on his discretion, but I'm not sure how to make it work..?

I worked on the workflow the last few last hours and I feel quite stupid for not seeing the OnTransitionIn/Out triggers before.

By using them, the replay person can use the replay controls as normal (Play last event, play list of events etc) and it will happen on the directors pc.

For my sport example, the workflow is as identical to the normal replay workflow:
1) Replay person hit 5/10/20 second button after an event
2) Some kind of communication between the replay person and director if the replay should be ran
3) If we want to run replay, just hit the "Auto play last replay event"-button or "Play events" button for breaks

The downside is that the director can not cancel the replay as "OnTransitionOut" on the replay PC will be fired after the directors transition, making a second transition with unknown consequences. I guess I have to weigh what's best of the director choosing the new angle while the replay is running compared to having a default angle to transition to after replay.

However, the replay person have lots of good ways to get out of a replay, so hopefully this will not be a problem.

I have yet to try it on an actuall event (I'm testing this on a volleyball match this Sunday), but from testing, it seem quite reliable and easy.

I attached my simple, hard coded OnTransitionIn/Out trigger scripts for replay channel A in case more people find this interesting
File Attachment(s):
OnReplayTransitionIn.txt (1kb) downloaded 68 time(s).
OnReplayTransitionOut.txt (1kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
oveien attached the following image(s):
Triggers - replays A.png (19kb) downloaded 46 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 2 users thanked oveien for this useful post.
TFMG on 4/26/2018(UTC), Ario on 6/16/2019(UTC)