logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
alia271  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 11:40:40 PM(UTC)
alia271

Groups: Registered

I love vmix, but in the next version can we make it more like a traditional switcher with me's. I think it would help when layering multiple effects.. I like the way Tricaster does it they show inputs 1-8 program and preview along with the me's. I'm not gonna lie that's the only thing I love about Tricasster is the interface. I know some might say just go buy a Tricaster, but the thing is Vmix is way more stable.
alia271 attached the following image(s):
NewTek-TriCaster-460-UI.png (610kb) downloaded 56 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 22, 2017 3:57:33 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi

vMix' way of handling ME is WAY better than traditional switchers. Maybe you just need to take time to experiment more and get used to it.
In vMix, each input is potentially a ME, that is to say you are not limited to 4 MEs only being to use some of the other inputs as in Tricasters or Atems or whatever.
Besides you can overlay up to 10 layers in each input (multiview mode) + add a multiview in a multiview + add up to 4 overlays (1, 2, 3, 4) on top of it...

Moreover you can use EXTERNAL or NDI outs to feed anything else in your workflow with any of your inputs (being used as a ME)

There's a reason why it's not called a ME in vMix: it's just so much more than a traditional ME

It's unconventional I agree but way better.

Guillaume
thanks 2 users thanked DWAM for this useful post.
alia271 on 7/27/2017(UTC), mjgraves on 7/27/2017(UTC)
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 22, 2017 8:01:38 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ alia271

I agree with Guillaume, vMix offers so much more versitility, it's just a matter of adjusting your mode of operation.
For myself, I have gotten into the practice of setting up my presets with at least the first 8 Inputs as "Blank" (Colour Inputs) that I use to populate my Main Program Bus (essensially an M/E Bus) that I can customize to my liking while maintaining my "Shortcuts" to the first 8 (or more) Inputs and hence the MultiView Fullscreen Output (when necessary, but usually the Main UI acts that way during productions anyway).

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
alia271 on 7/27/2017(UTC)
a.basso  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 27, 2017 4:07:13 AM(UTC)
a.basso

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What I am missing the most is a shortcut solution to change inputs in a multiview without having to open the multiview input settings window.
DWAM  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:36:23 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi

just check the overlay section here : http://www.vmix.com/help...utFunctionReference.html

What you're looking for is SetMultiViewOverlay, but other commands are useful too

Check this topic where I demo what can be done for switching inside multiviews. Both videos show how powerful vMix is
https://forums.vmix.com/....aspx?g=posts&t=9765

Guillaume
a.basso  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 27, 2017 7:33:39 AM(UTC)
a.basso

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Excellent, I don't know why but I've never noticed that shortcut command.

Thanks a lot, Guillaume.
mjgraves  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 27, 2017 9:24:00 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
alia271 wrote:
I love vmix, but in the next version can we make it more like a traditional switcher with me's. I think it would help when layering multiple effects.. I like the way Tricaster does it they show inputs 1-8 program and preview along with the me's. I'm not gonna lie that's the only thing I love about Tricasster is the interface. I know some might say just go buy a Tricaster, but the thing is Vmix is way more stable.

Simple answer...NO!

The wholesale re-engineering of the GUI is not a valid feature request. It's calling our baby ugly.

If you like the traditional switcher metaphor, use a traditional switcher, or something that mimics one of those.

In fact, someone has already written an app that presented a GVG style UI using the API to control vMix.

Next someone will ask that the DVE be programmed in a manner that mimics an Abekas A57 ;-)
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
al4video on 7/28/2017(UTC)
zenvideo  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:33:01 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
mjgraves wrote:
Next someone will ask that the DVE be programmed in a manner that mimics an Abekas A57 ;-)

That said, it would be nice if there was a more "pure" DVE effect available, as well as the "DVE+Dissolve" effect (a.k.a. Merge)... :)