logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bluesgeek  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 7, 2017 1:36:42 AM(UTC)
bluesgeek

Groups: Registered

New to vMix. I need a system that will handle:

• 3 HDMI cameras
• minimal FX
• playing of movie files during intermissions
• one or two DSKs for lower 3rds, record 1080p60
• _either_ stream or run HDMI to external streaming box (at 720p30).

I'm looking at Dell XPS 8910 (i7-6700, GTX 750ti), installing 4 BMD Intensity Pro 4Ks.

The system will be used for remote sports and municipal board meetings. Will that Dell do the job?

Thank you.

ask  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 7, 2017 3:04:53 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
You probably won't be able to run 4 PCI cards in that box. I have an older version of the XPS. It will handle 4 inputs OK but you really need a multi-input card. Be careful here as the BlackMagic cards have a history of not working with Dell Mobos. The CPU would be better as a 7700 and the GPU as a GTX 1060. However as I said, I have made a similar machine work happily with 4 or more inputs.
thanks 1 user thanked ask for this useful post.
bluesgeek on 7/7/2017(UTC)
bluesgeek  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 7, 2017 10:22:44 AM(UTC)
bluesgeek

ask wrote:
You probably won't be able to run 4 PCI cards in that box. I have an older version of the XPS. It will handle 4 inputs OK but you really need a multi-input card. Be careful here as the BlackMagic cards have a history of not working with Dell Mobos. The CPU would be better as a 7700 and the GPU as a GTX 1060. However as I said, I have made a similar machine work happily with 4 or more inputs.

Thanks for the sage advice. Could I ask you to please illumninate me as to why 4 cards probably wouldn't work? Thank you.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 7, 2017 12:47:30 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi

would need 4 available PCI-Express slots

Here's what's said for this motherboard
PCIe Slots
• One PCIe x16 card slot
• Two PCIe x1 card slots
• One PCIe x4 card slot

As you need one for the graphics card (x16), there are only 3 left. But one will certainly be unusable because the graphics card (2 slots wide) will make it hidden. So only 2 left.

As Ask said, you'd better buy a 4 input capture card and use it in the x4 slot. Cheaper and... possible...

Guillaume
Stream Breeze  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 7, 2017 12:57:58 PM(UTC)
Stream Breeze

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The BMD 4K Intensity Pro cards are 4X cards as unlike the previous generation cards which were 1x cards. The Dell system does not have enough 4x slots on the motherboard and even if it does that CPU does not have enough lanes to support four 4x cards and the GTX750ti 16x video card.
I checked and Dell list it as having one 16x slot, one 4x slot and two 1x slots. So not enough slots for four capture cards let alone four 4x cards.
Over the counter computers are usually limited in that type of expansion which is why we build custom systems for vMix.
But as mentioned the multiple input cards are the way to go, they are usually only 4x cards and should solve your problem.

The CPU on that Dell should be able to handle what you want to do, however I would recommend you get either an SSD or at least a second hard drive in the system if you are planning on playing videos and recording at the same time. Conventional hard drives will give you trouble recording, playing back and running Windows on the same hard drive. Using one drive mechanism (except an SSD)for everything is asking for trouble.
If you decide to get and SSD do not get an M.2 SSD as it uses the resources of the 4x slot on the motherboard.

Regards,
Steve
Stream Breeze attached the following image(s):
Compare.JPG-550x0.jpg (64kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.