logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kjones9999  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 25, 2017 10:03:40 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Hi all. I have long needed to use video delay for clipping highlights for quick upload. This can't be done with vMix because of the codecs available - the file sizes are too large.

No one else seems to need this, but for posterity, I have figured a work around- special thanks to Kane for pointing out that OBS has NDI now.

Here is my post from the feature request page:

I have made this suggestion numerous times and no one has expressed interest, so I realize that it won't happen.

We do football games where we have about a 20 minute turn around time after the game to have the game highlights uploaded to the webserver for broadcast by the news stations. At this point, my workflow looks something like this:

During game, write duration to log on highlights. After game take the recording of entire game and find the replay points, and clip them. Export video and upload. I use videoredo for this - perhaps the best piece of software ever created besides vMix, but its very time consuming.

The idea behind the MP4 video delay is that the clips would all be there-- just assemble and upload. Cant do this with avi because of file sizes.

But thanks to the very helpful Kane at Newtek, I have figured out another solution (I did not realize OBS had NDI).

Using OBS, I take an NDI feed of vMix's program to create an input. Then using OBS' replay feature, I can hit a button when the highlight occurs, and then the mp4 file is saved. I am getting 10 sec mp4 files at 720p60 that are 4 megs. I can also do all of this on the same machine as vMix. On my i5 I notice a 5% increase in cpu.

I realize Vmix cant do everything. Once again NDI proves invaluable!