logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Phule  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:28:32 PM(UTC)
Phule

Groups: Registered

I'm working in a healthcare setting and trying to implement simulation training in our clinical areas. As such, I need a portable system that I can use in a variety of spaces to record the simulation and allow observers to watch from a separate room.

My plan is to use at least 3, potentially 5, PoE IP cameras (to eliminate the need for power points) streaming to a vMIX laptop over a network cable. I *believe* I can use multiple cameras in this way, using 100mB/sec per camera. Without any prior knowledge in this area, I hope that I'm not going to find out I'm restricted to only 1 IP camera stream because as much as the NDI cameras look easier to use, we can't afford the price tag on those.

I also need to mirror an iPad display (used as a patient monitor) which I think will run through an apple TV HDMI connecting to a laptop via a BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder and a Thunderbolt port.
We'd leave the patient monitor stream permanently in one corner and then swap between the video feeds depending on what's happening and which cameras have views of the action.

I've seen the topic talking about laptops to stream in 720p but I'm not sure if the talk about requirements for that apply in our situation? I only need to record locally (to facilitate the debriefings) and to output to a projector in real time to allow observers to watch the team in action from a different room. Will this cut down on the CPU/GPU and other system requirements I would need or is the streaming side of the software not that intensive compared to the processing side?

Thanks for any input, Phule
sinc747  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2017 12:29:01 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Yes, you can do that with a suitably equipped laptop like the ASUS ROG G753V

Five IP cams on a network - no problem. If you're doing PoE cams, you might want to set up a separate network anyway. Just cables and a switch (maybe gigabit to allow for future NDI).

iPad mirror. No knowledge so no comment. But the ASUS has T3 port.

Sounds like a cool project. Let us know how it goes.

- Tom