logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RandomStreamer  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 9:08:19 AM(UTC)
RandomStreamer

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hey guys,

I'm bumping into a performance issue while trying to broadcast a heavier than normal (my normal) production.

My vmix setup:

- 1080p60 project
- EVR render + 10 frameskip on the performance tab (if i try to use the default render the performance is much much much worse)
- Default color settings
- 4 1080p60 sdi cameras (BM DUO 2)
- 2-3 NDI INPUTS
- 2 NDI outputs (I do not stream or record from this machine, the NDI outputs sends the signal to another machine just to record and stream)
- lots of png sequences / alpha movs (tryied both, nearly same result)
-- mainly used for gc animation, stingers and for virtual set (my virtual set has animation, rather than static png images)
- about 30 videos or overlays. (h264 8mbps / png)

My system

- I7 7700K (OCd @4.6ghz, temps never exceed 70ºc)
- Z270 chipset
- 32gb ddr4 ram
- 2 ssds (500MB/S), one just for system and vmix, other just to load assets.
- GTX 1070
- BM DUO 2 capture card with 4 1080p60 cameras
- QUAD GIGABIT INTEL NIC (dedicated switch and subnet just for NDI)

The issue:

Sometimes the render times will be over 30ms, and the FPS drops to 40-55.
An easy way to reproduce the issue is to go live with the virtual set + use an animated GC.

While this happens the GPU usage will never go over 30% (gpu-z), and the CPU usage will never go over 35% (windows task manager), also the disk usage is nearly 0 at all times (looks like VMIX buffers the videos / sequences).

Being so, looks like my hardware still has power, and yet, vmix is losing performance.

How can I isolate and resolve my issue?

Thank you.
Thremir  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 23, 2017 4:10:28 AM(UTC)
Thremir

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I had this issue earlier and fixed it by upgrading or setting up a SSD RAID 0 to increase load speed for PNG sequences.
admin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 23, 2017 12:31:43 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
The system specs certainly seem powerful enough.

What does GPU-Z say for other stats such as Memory Controller Load, Video engine Load, Bus Interface Load and Memory Usage?

One potential cause for concern is the large number of video clips in the preset.
I would try putting these into a single List input where possible, as having them separate uses up graphics memory
and can cause some higher render times at around the 30 input mark under some circumstances.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
Mathijs  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 23, 2017 2:01:50 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
You can also re-render your png sequences as SpeedHQ 422 with alpha.
RandomStreamer  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 10:45:19 PM(UTC)
RandomStreamer

I ran several tests, optimized as much as I could, re-rendered everything with the NDI codec, and the performance has improved.

However I now get FPS drops sometimes, without a reason I could find. I tried messing up with the VRM9 / EVR / NORMAL/HIGH PRIORITY, and so far, VRM9 with High Priority seems to works better.

Anyway to debug? CPU/GPU usage was low.

I want to be ready to collect proper data when the issue happens again.

thank you,
RS
kjones9999  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:05:54 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Are you sure you are not running ShadowPlay in the background? That system should be able to do this 2x over.

I would also do a quick check to see if anything is stealing cycles in the background.

Past that, I would run a benchmark /stress test - furmark- there are others -

and see if any issues show up. If its a cooling issue you may only see it intermittently in Vmix but the stress test and comparisons to well working cards should give you a sense of how healthy the card is, and will either confirm or exclude the GPU as an issue.

RandomStreamer  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 10:02:13 PM(UTC)
RandomStreamer

kjones9999 wrote:
Are you sure you are not running ShadowPlay in the background? That system should be able to do this 2x over.

I would also do a quick check to see if anything is stealing cycles in the background.

Past that, I would run a benchmark /stress test - furmark- there are others -

and see if any issues show up. If its a cooling issue you may only see it intermittently in Vmix but the stress test and comparisons to well working cards should give you a sense of how healthy the card is, and will either confirm or exclude the GPU as an issue.

I'm not running shadowplay, we don't install nvidia experience, just the drivers, the system is dedicated to vmix with a clean OS install.

About stealing cycles, how can I do that?

About benchmarking, done that already. Furmark performs normally (I have other pcs with the same specs, similar results). Heating is also not an issue, I have good cooling.

PS: the verson 19.0.47 is performing better than the newers (tested them all)

Thanks
RS
admin  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 11:13:12 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi,

With productions using a large number of inputs, it is possible to exceed the memory limits of the internal "cache"
the graphics card uses to transfer this data to the GPU. When this occurs, you will see high render times without correspondingly
high usage on the GPU or CPU.

The way to resolve this is to reduce the number of inputs you are using, especially videos, image sequences etc.
Combining videos into a single List input helps a lot as well.

We are working on way around this in vMix 20 for graphics cards with lots of memory (4GB+) and hope to have a beta ready around September.
(This is not a silver bullet though, high end productions will still need to manage the number of inputs they use carefully, as even the most expensive
graphics cards are not infinitely scalable!)

Regards,

Martin
vMix
RandomStreamer  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 1:45:08 AM(UTC)
RandomStreamer

Thanks for the feedback, Martin

I now have a better understanding of what's technically going on.

I'm currently using 98 inputs, hehe.

Regarding video lists, I could do that, however I use an akai interface for shortcuting these videos, can I create shortcut for a videolist item?

Thanks

RS
DWAM  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 4:44:56 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi

Quote:
can I create shortcut for a videolist item

Sure! Check NextItem, PreviousItem, SelectIndex commands in the shortcuts reference
http://www.vmix.com/help...utFunctionReference.html

Guillaume
kjones9999  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 10:41:39 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
98?

Wow -- That is a lot!!

Did you try to minimize all the inputs and see if that makes a difference? It helped me quite a bit on a marginal system.
RandomStreamer  
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:10:29 AM(UTC)
RandomStreamer

kjones9999 wrote:
98?

Wow -- That is a lot!!

Did you try to minimize all the inputs and see if that makes a difference? It helped me quite a bit on a marginal system.

It's a complicated show, the only thing that I see which could help is to put some of the videos in lists, assuming I'll still be able to shortcut them.

Most of the inputs are multilayer parts tho.. for example, we create cool animated LT's and add the text through a second input text, activated by triggers. This way we managed to create really cool GCs. Also BGMs, 8 cameras, 4 NDI inputs.

Downside is.. 98 inputs, haha..

Current setup uses up to 1.8G vram, let's see what happens if I manage to send my videos to a list. Worst case scenario I'll end up having video playouts from a second machine.

Best,
RS
DWAM  
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 4:14:21 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Code:
Worst case scenario I'll end up having video playouts from a second machine.

This looks as the best case scenario to me.
stevespaw  
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:14:47 PM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
RandomStreamer wrote:
kjones9999 wrote:
98?

Most of the inputs are multilayer parts tho.. for example, we create cool animated LT's and add the text through a second input text, activated by triggers. This way we managed to create really cool GCs. Also BGMs, 8 cameras, 4 NDI inputs.

Best,
RS

Wow, We have found that "MultiLayer" inputs are the first cause of HighCPU frame drops, we use them sparingly.

This is definitely not a hardware issue, but more of managing expectations. We use this topic in comparing vMix to Tricaster. Tricaster has built-in limits to guarantee performance. The vMix team has decided not to impose any such thing knowing that faster/better hardware will, in time, make their product better. Now you just have to use the power currently available wisely.

Good Luck,
Steve
joaopott  
#15 Posted : Friday, July 28, 2017 8:47:45 PM(UTC)
joaopott

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
admin wrote:
Hi,

With productions using a large number of inputs, it is possible to exceed the memory limits of the internal "cache"
the graphics card uses to transfer this data to the GPU. When this occurs, you will see high render times without correspondingly
high usage on the GPU or CPU.

The way to resolve this is to reduce the number of inputs you are using, especially videos, image sequences etc.
Combining videos into a single List input helps a lot as well.

We are working on way around this in vMix 20 for graphics cards with lots of memory (4GB+) and hope to have a beta ready around September.
(This is not a silver bullet though, high end productions will still need to manage the number of inputs they use carefully, as even the most expensive
graphics cards are not infinitely scalable!)

Regards,

Martin
vMix

This is GREAT news!

I am using VMIX since 2012-13,it is an incredible & flexible tool.

I was about to go back to Tricaster and ATEM... I thought I was alone with render time problems in the middle of the events... Now I see I am not the only one.

My normal E-sports projects use about 70-120 inputs in the MAIN PRODUCTION PC, and at least 3 PCs running VMIX :

Main Production PC:
Decklink Quad 2 with 4 Cameras (BMG 1080/60p) + 2 PCs (1080/60p) with MBG HDMI converters
2 or 3 NDI captures (Casters PCs + REPLAY PC) 1080/60p
1 NDI external Output
12 audio channels (Behinger XR18 with asio drivers)
Asus x99 + i7 6900 + 128Gbram + M2 sammy evo 256Gb (1800/1600 Mb/s) + gtx 1080
The rest of the inputs are PNG sequences, Overlays, Videos, audios etc.

Replay PC:
1 BMG HDMI Intensity 4K (capturing in 1080/60p RGB)
1 capture (main machine) 1080/60p
1 NDI external Output (captured back from the Main Producer PC)
Asus x99 + i7 5820k + 64Gbram + 1 M2 EVO 256Gb (1800/1600 Mb/s)+ 2 SSDs 1Tb EVO Raid 0(900/900 Mb/s for replay recordings) + gtx 1080
OBS: Using only 1 camera replay

Stream & content recording PC:
1 BMG HDMI Intensity 4K (capturing in 1080/60p RGB)
Asus x79 + i7 4790k + 32Gbram + 1 SSD evo (500/500 Mb/s OS + VMIX) + 1 SSDs 1Tb EVO (500/500 Mb/s for content record) + gtx 1080

So with this setup my events use to run very well... in the begining! After some time I see the render times going UP without explanation (until now!!). I changed the hardware, OS, codecs, religion, so many times trying to fix it that I can't count them anymore...

My work around is to have an "emergency secene" in the STREAM PC (a videoad or a game replay video) , so I use this scene to have time to REBOOT the MAIN PRODUCTION PC when I see high render times(>25)/ low FPS(<54). After rebooting I have normaly at least 40mins before seeing the render time going crazy again.
Looks like weird (and it is) but it works... I actually hate this "solution" but it is the way I found to live with it and the audience do not realize there is a problem going on in my side.

After reading this Martin's post, while the VMIX 20 beta does not arrive, I added (yesterday) another PC in the setup, a PLAYOUT PC (controlled from the MAIN PRODUCTION PC using webscript commands) with all Videos and some scenes, so I reduced the
inputs to 55-90 in the MAIN PRODUCTION PC. Now it is better, but still have the same problem, just have longer time before it starts.

For me, this is the ONLY VMIX ISSUE that interfere in my production and I really hope it can be fixed!

Thank you very much Martin.
Ittaidv  
#16 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 7:37:29 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Last weekend I was working with Matthijs on a gig, and we noticed we could bring jumpy render times on a x99 down, by setting full screen monitors to the same resolution and framerate as the recordings. On this gig we use 2 fullscreen monitors (1 fullscreen pgm and 1 multiview) and render times dropped from over 50 to nearly 0 just by changing the fullscreen monitors from their native 1920 x 1200 to 1920 x1080. Only the third monitor had to keep it's native resolution of 1920 x 1200 for running the gui of vmix, or the render times would go up again. No idea if this would also work well on the z2470, but it's worth a try i'd say.