logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
christianm  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 9:00:16 PM(UTC)
christianm

Groups: Registered

Hi All.

Software: VMIX 21.0.0.56
PC: 8700k 64GB RAM NVIDIA 1080 WIN10x64
Camera: FS5
Capture Card: Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder Thunderbolt
Audio capture is off camera Sony URX-P03 wireless transceiver

Issue is that the talent vox is way behind the backing track WAV playback. I have attempted to use the delay function on the WAV file to push it backwards however even at max it still is out. Also tried playing with the delay on the audio from the camera however can not fix it there either.
I have routed the backing track WAV files to Bus/Output A that is then output to a fold back speaker so the talent can hear the audio and sing in time. The rest of the Audio setup is vanilla.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get this to work or have any experience getting this working? Please let me know if you need more info as I am sure this is a little light on but this is the first time I have used this software.

raugert  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 9, 2018 11:49:37 AM(UTC)
raugert

Canada

Was thanked: 309 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Perhaps you can take the mixed karaoke feed (basically your FOH audio) and send it to the input of your camera. That would embed the audio into the camera SDI signal and it should be in sync. Your foldback would then be done from your normal karaoke setup rather than vMix.

This should work unless you really need to have the music and and talent as seperate audio for some reason. When it comes to foldback and special audio routing I tend to use external means (sperate mixer) rather than do it within vMix or any other software switcher.
mavik  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 9, 2018 12:10:13 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
I suggest using one point for mixing. If you have a talent that needs any real time audio return it's essential to use an external mixer. Any I/O computer based solution will add delay that you have to adjust in software later.
I use a Behringer X-Air 18 which is a very rich option for audio mixing and connects via ASIO into VMix. A dream.
zenvideo  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 9, 2018 2:03:34 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
christianm wrote:
Issue is that the talent vox is way behind the backing track WAV playback. I have attempted to use the delay function on the WAV file to push it backwards however even at max it still is out. Also tried playing with the delay on the audio from the camera however can not fix it there either.
I have routed the backing track WAV files to Bus/Output A that is then output to a fold back speaker so the talent can hear the audio and sing in time. The rest of the Audio setup is vanilla.

Don't play the WAV file from within vMix. What you need to be able to do is play the WAV file to the foldback speaker and then take an input into vMix and potentially delay it to match the vocals coming in on a different input channel. Right now you're probably playing the WAV within vMix and feeding into the Main mix, and any delay you apply in vMix is also applied to the Bus A foldback output, thus defeating the purpose of adding the delay. If it comes in as a separate input, with the foldback feed taken before that point, then you can add the delay in vMix and match it up to the vocals. If your system has a "Stereo Mix" loop-back input from the soundcard output, you can play the WAV in any other media player app, take the soundcard o/p to the foldback speaker and pick up the Stereo Mix as an input to vMix.

Alternatively, if you really want to use vMix as the WAV player, send the track to Bus A for foldback as you're doing now, but take it off the Main output. Then use the Stereo Mix device (or even an audio cable to feed it back into another audio input) to get it into vMix as a separate input where you can add the delay as it goes to the final Main Output mix, but not delay the foldback output.
thanks 1 user thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
christianm on 9/18/2018(UTC)
christianm  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2018 1:20:45 AM(UTC)
christianm

zenvideo wrote:
christianm wrote:

Don't play the WAV file from within vMix. What you need to be able to do is play the WAV file to the foldback speaker and then take an input into vMix and potentially delay it to match the vocals coming in on a different input channel. Right now you're probably playing the WAV within vMix and feeding into the Main mix, and any delay you apply in vMix is also applied to the Bus A foldback output, thus defeating the purpose of adding the delay. If it comes in as a separate input, with the foldback feed taken before that point, then you can add the delay in vMix and match it up to the vocals. If your system has a "Stereo Mix" loop-back input from the soundcard output, you can play the WAV in any other media player app, take the soundcard o/p to the foldback speaker and pick up the Stereo Mix as an input to vMix.

Alternatively, if you really want to use vMix as the WAV player, send the track to Bus A for foldback as you're doing now, but take it off the Main output. Then use the Stereo Mix device (or even an audio cable to feed it back into another audio input) to get it into vMix as a separate input where you can add the delay as it goes to the final Main Output mix, but not delay the foldback output.

Thanks for the response - your solution was exactly what I ended up doing. For all content that required any talent interaction such as songs, sounds effects etc I routed them all through bus A then out to an external mixer. The mixer then has a bus out for the foldback and the mic in. From there back into VMix as a audio input. I was super important to keep the triggering of all music/effects etc in vmix as I have automated with plenty of triggers so to move outside of the platform would have been a big step back. Thanks for the help everyone its now running like a dream.
CorgieFan  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2020 9:40:22 AM(UTC)
CorgieFan

FYI this thread was very helpful to me, and I was able to fix the delay without having to use an external mixer... For me because of the sound card software I have I was able to route the WAV or MP4 file out to it then bring it back in as a separate input and apply delay. Details here:

https://forums.vmix.com/...c-with-video-file-played

...And for those that don't have the sound card software capabilities, I THINK it could also be done by using this free "Virtual Audio Cable" and create a vMix bus that sends to that Virtual Audio Cable, then uses it as an input as well. (I didn't have to try using it, but there's youtube videos about how to use it.
https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

Hope that helps someone, this forum has been a HUGE help in my learning curve of vMix.