logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nicademus  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 2:40:27 AM(UTC)
nicademus

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I saw somewhere a mention that Output 3 & 4 are only available for Video Call and Instant Replay...but where is the documentation for this?

I am testing a system with a Decklink Quad 2, as well as a Decklink Mini Monitor.

We have SDI 1 & 2 linked and configured in Vmix to have Straight Alpha mixing, in order to give Key & Fill This works great, but there are draw-backs and I need to figure out why...

Prior to configuring the Key & Fill the Mini Monitor was used as an Output channel and changing the "Output 2" section in the "External" section from the main screen allowed us to deliver whatever input/preview/output we wanted to the monitor on the end of it.

however since configuring Key & Fill it is a little confusing - I have set Output 1 as Output as this goes to a Stream, and Recording...
Output 2 is set to say input 25 - which is a virtual set and has several Camera inputs configured on it with some multiview overlays, etc.

Moreover on the External Outputs page for "External" I have the MiniMonitor set as the Output device, and in "External 2" I have the Duo (1) set as the output in order to send the Key & Fill.

What can I do with Output 3 and 4 - why can the Device not be set for these? Lets say I have the Quad 2 in there, the Monitor and the Duo2 I took out, each of these cards is capable of output and input, so theoretically I should be able to have I think 6 input and 6 outputs - but as much as I see titles saying Vmix has Hundreds of outputs - how does one configure these outputs to output to specific Duo/quad renderers?

I can only get around the issue at the moment by connecting a HDMI to SDI converter to one of the HDMI ports and using FullScreen, setting the input there and converting the signal down the line to a Monitor at the other end.

Ideally what we need is (with Quad 2 and Mini monitor - or Quad 2 and Duo 2 in the system)
(On Quad)
SDI1 & Key and Fill
SDI3 - Replay output
SDI4 - 8 - camera inputs
(mini monitor)
SDI1 - SDI/HDMI Monitor (for instance on stage.)

Are there possibly any plans in place to segregate the Output/External configurations?

i.e. it would be great to simply have the ability to have one page that allowed you to say:
Output1 - Virtual - To Stream
Output2 - Virtual - to Record
Output3 - Virtual - to whatever...
Output4 - Physical - to Device A
Output5 - Physical - to Device B
Output6 - Physical - to Device C

This goes slightly off-topic, but still kind of relevant:

I find the fact that Output 1 is a grouping of Stream/Record/etc. to be a little annoying as with Record you can then NOT specify to Record a specific target input - for instance if we Stream then we always have the Streamed copy from Output - so when we RECORD as well we really only need to record the Raw footage, but there is no Option because Record takes Output1 which is the same as the Stream feed. And before anyone suggests Multi-Record - this is not an option because we use Replay as well, and replay cannot run at the same time as Multi-Record.

Granted Specs would need to be extremely high to do it, but a suggestion is you should have the ability to specify to Record any Inputs independantly of Record of the Output.

thanks 1 user thanked nicademus for this useful post.
colorbar on 12/11/2020(UTC)
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:21:34 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
I saw somewhere a mention that Output 3 & 4 are only available for Video Call and Instant Replay

Yes and no...

https://www.vmix.com/help21/SettingsOutputs.html

It means any input can be set for Out 3 & 4 but they cannot be used with a physical renderer (a capture card) OR seen as an EXTERNAL out like Out 1 & 2.
So you can use them for internal routing in vMix or via NDI

Guillaume
thanks 2 users thanked DWAM for this useful post.
nicademus on 9/12/2018(UTC), mjgraves on 3/12/2019(UTC)
nicademus  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:33:32 AM(UTC)
nicademus

DWAM wrote:
Quote:
I saw somewhere a mention that Output 3 & 4 are only available for Video Call and Instant Replay

Yes and no...

https://www.vmix.com/help21/SettingsOutputs.html

It means any input can be set for Out 3 & 4 but they cannot be used with a physical renderer (a capture card) OR seen as an EXTERNAL out like Out 1 & 2.
So you can use them for internal routing in vMix or via NDI

Guillaume

Many thanks for that.

So I would say this gives me one option - is to output them to NDI then pick up on a 2nd Vmix instance those NDI feeds as inputs then output Output 1 and 2 to physical SDI units from that 2nd instance.

I have just tested that quickly, setting Output 3 to Input25 and Output 4 to Input 31 - gone to add an NDI input and I can clearly see those two NDI feeds.

The bigger question with this is - can I run two instances of Vmix on the Same unit, but a different Config for both? As I note that as soon as I open a second instance it tries to use all the same Hardware settings...
Or does it mean 2nd instance being on a 2nd PC, and therefore would also need a 2nd licence.

DWAM  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 5:19:38 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

It's not recommended to open 2 instances on the same host... for obvious reasons...

Besides NDI stands for NETWORK Device Interface...

Guillaume
zenvideo  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:37:30 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
nicademus wrote:
The bigger question with this is - can I run two instances of Vmix on the Same unit, but a different Config for both? As I note that as soon as I open a second instance it tries to use all the same Hardware settings...
Or does it mean 2nd instance being on a 2nd PC, and therefore would also need a 2nd licence.

There are other apps - like NewTek's Connect - which can take an NDI input and output via a Blackmagic card, possibly on the same PC, or on another via a LAN connection.
stevespaw  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 10:42:52 AM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
nicademus  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:37:05 PM(UTC)
nicademus

stevespaw wrote:

Thanks All - MacOS or Ubuntu - will have to dig out the MacPro and put a blackmagic in it I suppose, or build up an ubuntu streamer...

The Other point I made though is that the Output option for 3 & 4 do appear to enable Output via NDI (so not a physical renderer.) - But that SHOULD mean being able to pick them up as NDI Inputs on a 2nd VMix box, for instance using a Pro licence for the Main streamer, but then a Basic licence to enable 2 NDI inputs and go from there. The problem is if wanting to then OUTPUT both Output3 & 4 seperately it would mean having 2 Pro licences -

So Overall - it would be really nice to see an Option instead to allow As Many Outputs as what the system has available to it as Physical outputs - i.e. the System I have now has a Duo and a Quad2 - so overall I have a total of 12 SDI ports, each of which can be Input or Output...
DWAM  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 4:50:53 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

As it was said already

- set 2 inputs to OUT 3 & 4 for NDI
- on computer 2, install free NDI Connect and select OUT 3 & 4 as sources along with a BMD card for external rendering. It only costs a BMD card, compared to using vMix which as you said would require at least a 4K licence (on computer 2) to do the same thing.

Guillaume

nicademus  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2019 11:15:19 AM(UTC)
nicademus

I know it's been a while since I posted this - but just an update -Using the Newtek NDI suggestion, I was able to output Outputs 3 and 4 both to NDI. Then on the same box Using Newtek Connect Free allowing 2 Inputs to subsquently output to any available Blackmagic Port.

The One problem with the whole setup - is the CPU usage jumps significantly. I find that normally with Vmix with dozens of Inputs graphics, etc. CPU usage is typically below 20% total. I ran a quick test where I ran a small bit of vision with NDI enabled - first that causes some increase in CPU...to just a little over 20%.

However the moment you open up the Newtek Connect it goes to 58+% total Then up to 76% if you Run the Vision in Vmix.

This is a significant enough overhead to warrent running the Newtek connection on another box and move the Blackmagic to it - but then we introduce Network Lag. Whilst 78% isn't enough to break the bank - I noted for quite a few years using Wirecast which was CPU heavy that the moment it would go over 90% there were dropped frames Everywhere!

So if anyone has a suggestion for something More light-weight than Newtek Connect (which works well by the way...) - just still experimenting.

EDIT: I just started scrubbing the little vid that was playing - CPU goes to 100% with NEWtek running...So definately unusable on same box in production environment.