logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RandomStreamer  
#21 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 4:38:34 PM(UTC)
RandomStreamer

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Longur wrote:
admin wrote:
We've just completed preliminary testing of our Ryzen setup and the results aren't looking good at this stage.

For vMix workloads, the 1800X is currently ranking below the i7 6850k, with the i7 7700k speeding past both by a fair margin.
NDI maxes out at about 14 inputs (1080p29.97) vs 17 on the 7700k

Most troubling are the very high render times under moderate load. These are significantly higher than even the X99 which wasn't that great to begin with.

We're using the GeForce 1070 in our tests, so some further driver updates may be needed to improve compatibility and results may be better when using
Radeon GPUs.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Tests were done using a GeForce GPU and "results may be better when using Radeon GPUs." Was wondering if Radeon/AMD GPUs do indeed perform better with Ryzen CPUs on vMix.

Tried VEGA 64 and RX580, both worse than GTX1070.
thanks 1 user thanked RandomStreamer for this useful post.
Longur on 11/25/2017(UTC)
joaopott  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 12:23:32 PM(UTC)
joaopott

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
RandomStreamer wrote:
Longur wrote:
admin wrote:
We've just completed preliminary testing of our Ryzen setup and the results aren't looking good at this stage.

For vMix workloads, the 1800X is currently ranking below the i7 6850k, with the i7 7700k speeding past both by a fair margin.
NDI maxes out at about 14 inputs (1080p29.97) vs 17 on the 7700k

Most troubling are the very high render times under moderate load. These are significantly higher than even the X99 which wasn't that great to begin with.

We're using the GeForce 1070 in our tests, so some further driver updates may be needed to improve compatibility and results may be better when using
Radeon GPUs.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Tests were done using a GeForce GPU and "results may be better when using Radeon GPUs." Was wondering if Radeon/AMD GPUs do indeed perform better with Ryzen CPUs on vMix.

Tried VEGA 64 and RX580, both worse than GTX1070.

Just updating my post (#13).

I SOLD the Ryzen 1700 and got a new i7 8700K (asrock z370 Fatality) with 32GB + samsung M2 Evo with GTX1080 and it is a completly different world... low cpu usage, much lower render times, no problems/issues so far with the same projects I was trying on Ryzen 1700 (same memo ammount, m2 & GPU).
My projects use about 100-160 inputs with at least 2 NDIs captures, 1 decklink quad 2(8 SDIs) + 1 magwell 4 HDMIs.
I would love to recommend Ryzen, but I cant... I hope it changes in the near future, a Threadripper with 32 Threads should be great (I guess), but I will not bet anymore, I will keep my eyes here and see my forum colleagues tests, perhaps there is a "fix" that changes this poor performance situation.
Good luck guys!
thanks 2 users thanked joaopott for this useful post.
RichShumaker on 1/30/2018(UTC), Peter B on 1/30/2018(UTC)
Yamato  
#23 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2018 2:47:53 PM(UTC)
Yamato

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi everyone,
Ryzen 2 just came out and according to reviews, performances seems to be very good. Also, it seems AMD corrected many flaws of Ryzen 1, especially latency issues.

Any chance it could impact on Vmix in a positive way ? I suppose there will be some testing at VMIX HQ ?
Really eager to get some benchmarks from the staff :)

Cheers,
Valentin
lael  
#24 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2018 9:33:09 PM(UTC)
lael

Would also be interested to know if the new AMD chips are seeing a performance change.
Vuurmannetje  
#25 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 2:11:19 PM(UTC)
Vuurmannetje

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Im looking to expand my server setup with another sattelite for Vcalls over NDI. Ryzen 2 would seem like a affordable option here. Anyone already running a system like this?
Vuurmannetje  
#26 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2018 5:06:02 PM(UTC)
Vuurmannetje

In the same vein, The new AMD Threadripper 2990WX looks to be a killer at the price for multicore workloads. As well as having a lot of PCIE lanes
Anybody got any AMD Threadripper running? As this fall Im building a mobile studio that will hold a beast Computer for NDI/SDI mixed workflow.
lael  
#27 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 1:43:15 PM(UTC)
lael

I sent through an email to vMix support asking whether they had tested Ryzen 2 and got this response:

There is no difference in performance between Ryzen 1 and 2 as far as vMix is concerned unfortunately.

Kind Regards,

Martin Sinclair
Vuurmannetje  
#28 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2018 10:14:31 PM(UTC)
Vuurmannetje

Originally Posted by: lael Go to Quoted Post
I sent through an email to vMix support asking whether they had tested Ryzen 2 and got this response:

There is no difference in performance between Ryzen 1 and 2 as far as vMix is concerned unfortunately.

Kind Regards,

Martin Sinclair

Yeah, I talked to Tim on IBC and they hadn't gotten to testing at that point.

There have been some users (including me) that are trying out Ryzen 2 setups, with good results. 2700 being on par with the 8700k in price point at least, but more interesting are the Threadripper 2 tests. Take a look at this thread to get an idea of how theyre doing: https://forums.vmix.com/...chine-using-threadripper
thanks 1 user thanked Vuurmannetje for this useful post.
lael on 10/21/2018(UTC)