logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kgoodyer  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 9:48:08 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hi

I am experimenting with the Skype for Creators (Skype version 8.26.76.25) with built in NDI support.

The NDI feed from Skype into VMIX is just a pale blue screen, with a Skype Logo in the top right corner.

NDI is definitely switch on in Skype, and indeed if I switch it off the Skype NDI stream vanishes from the NDI selection in vMix. I have a good quality video stream arriving into Skype and can see it clearly in the Skype.

As the 'Skype' logo is present, its pretty obvious that vMix is working just fine, and Skype is just not generating the feed correctly.

Anybody else having issues?

Keith
kane  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2018 12:54:01 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
I tested this out the other day and it was working. However, I did have one connection session which was strange. I got the Skype video via NDI, but the video would not appear in the Skype application itself, which sounds backwards of what you are having.

Guess that is why its beta...

Kane Peterson
NewTek
kgoodyer  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2018 8:12:43 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Kane

That's an interesting one. I am going to re-install Skype on a clean 1803 build of Windows 10 on Monday morning, This PC has had every piece of NewTek software right back to the early days of AirPlay, along with a few different versions of Skype, so not exactly a virgin test environment.

I will report back.

Keith
mgrayeb  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 16, 2018 6:38:38 PM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
kgoodyer wrote:
Hi

I am experimenting with the Skype for Creators (Skype version 8.26.76.25) with built in NDI support.

The NDI feed from Skype into VMIX is just a pale blue screen, with a Skype Logo in the top right corner.

NDI is definitely switch on in Skype, and indeed if I switch it off the Skype NDI stream vanishes from the NDI selection in vMix. I have a good quality video stream arriving into Skype and can see it clearly in the Skype.

As the 'Skype' logo is present, its pretty obvious that vMix is working just fine, and Skype is just not generating the feed correctly.

Anybody else having issues?

Keith

I had the same experience with the blue screen and Skype logo only coming into vMix. No video. Question: is the NDI video and audio supposed to be available both ways, so that, for example, I can bring in vMix Bus A audio into Skype by NDI? Or is it only one way?
kane  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 12:09:13 AM(UTC)
kane

It is currently NDI output from Skype. For input, you can use NDI Tools 3.5 which includes NDI Virtual Input as a standard feature.

I'm not sure when (if) NDI input will be included in this version of Skype. When I spoke to Microsoft about it at NAB, they told me that NDI output is what would be supported at first.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
kgoodyer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 5:29:42 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

I have had a little more success, I can pick up the NDI signal (using NDI monitor running on same machine), and remotely using vMix as the receiver (also tried NDI monitor), however the remote only works occasionally, most of the time I get a black screen, or a pale blue screen with the Skype logo. I have repeated this across several platforms.

Once an NDI connection is established its a solid as a rock - its just getting that connection started.

One serious issue, is the NDI input that is created by Skype is in the format 'Skype - Skype Caller Name'. The problem with this is you have to create a seperate VMIX input for each caller... I have over 200 regular Skype callers!!! Also Skype does not create an NDI stream until you are on a call. This means that you have to establish a call (mine are all inbound and use auto answer) then create an NDI input on VMIX.

Hopefully he will fix all of this - but as an actual hardcore NDI user, and accepting this is only a preview release, this is quite a poor show from Microsoft. Not sure if you NewTek guys have any influence? I just wouldn't know how to communicate with the Skype team since they were absorbed by Microsoft.

Keith
thanks 1 user thanked kgoodyer for this useful post.
stevemol on 9/22/2019(UTC)
mgrayeb  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 5:48:22 AM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
kane wrote:
It is currently NDI output from Skype. For input, you can use NDI Tools 3.5 which includes NDI Virtual Input as a standard feature.

I'm not sure when (if) NDI input will be included in this version of Skype. When I spoke to Microsoft about it at NAB, they just told me that NDI output is what would be supported at first.

Kane Peterson
NewTek

Thanks Kane. Does the NDI output from Skype, when received back into vMix, exclude any audio coming into Skype from vMix (built-in mix minus)?
DWAM  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 5:48:31 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
One serious issue, is the NDI input that is created by Skype is in the format 'Skype - Skype Caller Name'. The problem with this is you have to create a seperate VMIX input for each caller

I don't see as a problem but a normal and logical thing. That's the main point and real benefit of adding NDI to Skype

Quote:
Also Skype does not create an NDI stream until you are on a call.

How could it be otherwise? Does any input show as a NDI feed before it's even created?

Guillaume
zenvideo  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:16:44 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
DWAM wrote:
Quote:
Also Skype does not create an NDI stream until you are on a call.

How could it be otherwise? Does any input show as a NDI feed before it's even created?

Guillaume

It can be created without having any content, which might be what is being requested here. For example, my NDI Router app creates the "Router out - A" NDI source as soon as the app is run, even through no inputs have been set up or selected. And I think NDI routing could be used to create a solution to some of these requests here.

NDI Routing allows the same actual source to be accessed via different (virtual) names. What I think some people are looking for is to have Skype generate static NDI names for the caller streams, like "Skype Caller 1", "Skype Caller 2", etc, rather than NDI names based on the names of the callers (which may be different each time). What could be done in Skype is to make use of NDI routing to create both logical names (eg Caller 1, 2, etc) alongside the personal names, and it could create the first (default) "Skype Caller 1" routed name at startup, adding additional "Caller n" names as more calls are received. That way, an app like vMix could have a permanent NDI input set to "Skype Caller 1" which would always receive the first/only caller connected, which I think is what people are looking for.

Meanwhile, if you want to achieve a similar solution externally, you could use the NDI Router to select NDI sources as they appear and send them to vMix as fixed name sources - "Router out - A", "Router out - B". Currently the router only has 2 outputs, but I'm working on a revised version at present (with more outputs). Another solution is to use the NDI RTx app, which re-transmits an NDI stream under a different (fixed) name, and also has the ability to add an overlay (caption).
thanks 1 user thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
sinc747 on 7/30/2018(UTC)
DWAM  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:55:11 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Yes Martin, my bad, you're right, but this is not the default behaviour for most NDI encoders.
Yes your NDI router is the perfect solution for those who want to "pre-load" their skype sources in their vMix project before the calls are established.
admin  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 8:40:55 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
I think that approach might be overthinking things.

Once an NDI input is added to vMix it can be changed through the right click menu.
So if you setup a test Skype call and add it to vMix, when the time comes for a new guest,
all you need to do is right click the input to change it to the new source, this will preserve all MultiView and
related settings as well.

thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
sinc747 on 7/18/2018(UTC), SportsNetUSA.net on 7/19/2018(UTC)
livepad  
#12 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2018 1:55:17 AM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Quick Update:

We engaged with the Skype team over some NDI issues (where the NDI out remains on the cyan skype screen even when a video call is in progress).
This was confirmed as a bug detecting that video had started with certain calling devices. You can sometimes fix it by toggling the camera on and off in the calling-in device.

I have seen a skype update come in since our report and discussion with them so perhaps its now fixed - have not re-tested.

mavik  
#13 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2018 5:12:55 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
I have downloaded skype desktop app for windows. Where is the button to enable NDI output. I can't find it in any setting.
DWAM  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2018 3:50:39 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
Where is the button to enable NDI output.

In the settings, Advanced Calling Options

But it seems not everyone gets the NDI update so far, it needs you to be part of the Windows Insiders program to be given this version.

Guillaume
kane  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2018 3:06:24 PM(UTC)
kane

Here is a video showing where to find it.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
thanks 1 user thanked kane for this useful post.
LiveGuy on 7/25/2018(UTC)
sfcc  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2018 4:37:47 PM(UTC)
sfcc

The version of Skype update with NDI is available to everyone now (not just Windows insiders).
You still need Desktop version of Skype (not from Windows store).
sunkast  
#17 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2018 2:31:42 PM(UTC)
sunkast

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Appears Skype has removed the NDI feature. Myself and several other Skype users who had the option last week, no longer have it showing up in the settings.
sinc747  
#18 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2018 3:36:10 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
I have two PC's, side by side, each with a fresh install of Skype for Windows (not Skype for Windows 10... a different beast). Same Skype login on each PC. One has the NDI option, one doesn't. What's this?

Glad Microsoft didn't buy vMix after all.

- Tom
livepad  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2018 7:11:12 AM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
sinc747 wrote:
I have two PC's, side by side, each with a fresh install of Skype for Windows (not Skype for Windows 10... a different beast). Same Skype login on each PC. One has the NDI option, one doesn't. What's this?

Glad Microsoft didn't buy vMix after all.

- Tom

Its likely that any version of Skype available through any sort of "App Store" will NOT have the NDI feature.
Probably best to download direct from the Skype website.
sinc747  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:46:27 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Quote:
Its likely that any version of Skype available through any sort of "App Store" will NOT have the NDI feature.
Probably best to download direct from the Skype website.

Skype for Windows is the version previously known as the desktop version. Skype for Windows 10 is the app version.

Yep. That's where I downloaded Skype for both PC's, from the Skype website. What's curious is that one has NDI and one doesn't. Both downloads from the same Skype website. Both Skypes with the same login.

- Tom