logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bamboo  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2018 12:15:12 PM(UTC)
Bamboo

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello users!

As a new user who is more of a hobbyist than a professional producer , I am running in to some basic problems with being able to consistently using PRESETS, titles, and saved virtual sets. This is due to file management challenges of my own and I am looking for help to make suggestions on how to simplify my life.

I have a network raid drive as an additional drive on my system that I would like to use to help prevent data loss, so this may be causing some of the problems.

1. I have been running into some challenges with just basic organizational management of all assets for saved Presets. When I log in and select the drop down from the OPEN button on the top left of the screen I have my list of setups, but then when I load one it cannot find assets, etc. and then all the work i did last time takes me a log time to get caught up again. Any suggestions for making this easier?

2. Where can I change the file location for where Presets get actually saved? I found them in the root directory of my Documents folder.

3. if .vmix preset files are 'cleared' are they gone forever?

4. what is the best way to manage the files required in the presets? VMix is looking on my Desktop to find assets.... should I create a standard folder for ALL assets to make this easier? What have you found>

5. I am looking for all of the Lower Third titles I have made in the past and want them to show up in the window with selections of other titles. how do I best manage this?

Thanks for helping with these basic housekeeping best practices. I am trying to put a little time in every week or so when I get a chance to learn this, and setup for some projects, but I lose traction due to some basic inconsistencies in how I am managing my files.

Paul

ask  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2018 7:52:58 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Sometimes you can simply find the answers you seek by reading the help files! https://www.vmix.com/hel...dex.htm?PresetsMenu.html

In addition. When using your network drive map it to each PC with a consistent drive letter (i.e. n:)

2. Click the Save button. The answer is in front of you! :-)

3. No. That just clears the history list. The presets are still where you saved them to.

4. Always put them in the same place in your PC (i.e. n:\\vMIx Assets\images\)

5. Look for the RECENT tab on the TITLE input
thanks 1 user thanked ask for this useful post.
Bamboo on 7/24/2018(UTC)
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2018 3:43:50 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi

here's what I do on my vMix hosts. They all have at least 2 or 3 local drives (or partitions) + mapped drives from the network.

On D:, I create a folder for vMix projects, called "d:\\vMixProjects"
Then I create a folder for each production, e.g. "d:\\vMixProjects\client1" or "d:\\vMixProjects\show20180723" and so on
In each production folder I create several sub-folders each containing sorted elements/files I need for this project, e.g. "graphics", "media", "slides", etc...

d:\\vMixProjects is shared over the network so that I can easily access it and add/remove/update files from each computer I use for the preps (I do the graphics on another one, might receive media from the client on another one, etc...)

As a result everything I need for a project is in a single folder. I also save the preset file at the root in this folder.
> If I use another vMix computer for the project I simply copy this folder. vMix finds everything at once
> If I go on location for the production I'm sure everything I need is there and that I have no missing file left on my network
> When I want to backup, I simply copy this folder to my NAS mapped drive

It also means that a file I use in several projects (ex : a logo bug) will be copied/duplicated many times. I never use a file that's not in the project's folder.

It takes methodology and discipline, it's not the easiest way but that's professionalism. And no bad surprise or time lost.

Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
iamralphsutton on 7/25/2018(UTC)
iamralphsutton  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2018 6:48:31 AM(UTC)
iamralphsutton

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have been doing this practice for a while - it certainly makes life easier when you are also using more than one machine - if they naming scheme is the same for all the shows folders etc - you can easily open a project on another computer w vmix.

I was doing this w my last software. I do wish you could have the defaults on settings be tied to the project - as some shows have specific setups... maybe someday.

I also have the default save directory for the RECORD go into that folder too. that way the most recent show is in there - and it's the producers job to only keep what's needed in each show's folder

SHOW NAME
SHOW ASSETS
SHOW SOUNDS
SHOW POST PRODUCTION
PROJECT
RECENT EPS.

In assets I put anything that is loaded into vmix. In sounds - we have like a shortcut for sound effects etc, in post prod- it's clips that are used to bumper a highlight or a short clip for social media.

Then the project file and the most recent eps are in the root directory.

DWAM wrote:
Hi

here's what I do on my vMix hosts. They all have at least 2 or 3 local drives (or partitions) + mapped drives from the network.

On D:, I create a folder for vMix projects, called "d:\\vMixProjects"
Then I create a folder for each production, e.g. "d:\\vMixProjects\client1" or "d:\\vMixProjects\show20180723" and so on
In each production folder I create several sub-folders each containing sorted elements/files I need for this project, e.g. "graphics", "media", "slides", etc...

d:\\vMixProjects is shared over the network so that I can easily access it and add/remove/update files from each computer I use for the preps (I do the graphics on another one, might receive media from the client on another one, etc...)

As a result everything I need for a project is in a single folder. I also save the preset file at the root in this folder.
> If I use another vMix computer for the project I simply copy this folder. vMix finds everything at once
> If I go on location for the production I'm sure everything I need is there and that I have no missing file left on my network
> When I want to backup, I simply copy this folder to my NAS mapped drive

It also means that a file I use in several projects (ex : a logo bug) will be copied/duplicated many times. I never use a file that's not in the project's folder.

It takes methodology and discipline, it's not the easiest way but that's professionalism. And no bad surprise or time lost.

Guillaume

thanks 1 user thanked iamralphsutton for this useful post.
Bamboo on 7/25/2018(UTC)