logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
maven2  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 1:47:47 AM(UTC)
maven2

Groups: Registered

I've a set up which takes two audio microphone inputs from a mixer and I've set them up to be able to switch to two different camera angles on my PTZ based on the audio levels on these using triggers. Basically, the camera trains in on the person using the microphone.

This works fine when either but not both microphones are in use.

Is there a way I could get a third wide camera angle to come into play if both the microphones are being used?
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 5:40:47 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Just don't use Audio Follow Video at all! Do not "link" audio inputs to video inputs, that's a very bad idea.

Activate both audio inputs, turn off the automatic mix and just use the mute option or mix manually. This way you can switch independently of whoever is speaking and whichever camera/input is on air.

Check the manual for more details about the audio settings, options and behaviour:
https://www.vmix.com/help21/Audio3.html

Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
maven2 on 7/17/2018(UTC)
maven2  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:52:09 AM(UTC)
maven2

Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for your reply!

Typically, I've never used the Audio Inputs with the Video Inputs and don't intend to start doing anytime soon. This is why my Audio inputs are coming in from the Audio Mixer while my Video Feeds are coming in from 3 PTZ Cameras that have their appropriate Virtual Inputs focusing on a variety of different shots. I also already have the automatic mix switched off. The setup you're talking about is my usual modus operandi. However, the specific request by my client is an automatic voice controlled PTZ Camera action.

If there were only two camera angles and two microphones, using the Triggers with Audio Levels work perfectly fine.

However, the client requires that there be a third wide camera angle that is called when both microphones are in use, without the need for human intervention. Something simliar to the 3rd party app in this video.

For some reason this application has been pulled off the internet with a note that Audio Level triggers should do the job - only that I can't seem to figure how its done.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:04:11 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Oh I see! I hate those people who want to get rid of directors!

You need multiple conditions operators to achieve this, something like condition1 AND condition2. You can do it with vMixUTC or your own scripting. But then you will realize it's a lot more complex than what it seems and will most likely produce shitty results...

Good luck!
maven2  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:19:19 AM(UTC)
maven2

Haha! Tell me about it. Sadly, some of these "AI" solutions are starting to pop up everywhere and people are comparing which is making my job as a vMix evangelist a little difficult.

I take it then, that there is no viable alternative other than scripting. If scripting is the only way to go, I suppose I'll have to delve completely into it. I understand there's quite a fair bit since it likely would not be just event listening with multiple conditions, but some sort of timing involved for the script to determine if it should move out to the wide angel shot or merely switch between person A and person B. I've seen plenty of talk about the vMixUTC but I'm not sure it can achieve the same effect. I also gather you're the resident expert on vMixUTC! If you tell me it can be done on it, I'll work it - otherwise I'll figure a script and share it here again!

Cheers!
DWAM  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:30:49 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Scripting is the best option, UTC can do it for sure but that's scripting too anyway, proprietary that is.
Between doing it internally with vMix or going for an external script, I'm not sure what to choose, I guess it's a matter of code expertise.
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
maven2 on 7/17/2018(UTC)